• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensesfail

senesfail
im not sure if there is a post like this already i searched an didnt find one. but when the f-35s come out is the Marine Corps going to replace their f-18s with J-35s

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
It's the do everything jet... by the time they're done with it... it'll be replacing everythign in the air wing, maintaining itself, navigating the ship, cooking breakfast and even reporting your news!

I'm not a big fan of it, if you can't tell....

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
I think the F-35 is awesome.

This is just a quick Q about the capability of an F-35. Being relatively cheap and mass produced, will the F-35 outfly an F-15?

kevin

hah. ive only heard my buddies in the af talk about it (kc135 and f15 drivers)....it's all-around good, wont be great at anything except maintenance and relatively cheap (compared to the f22). the f15 guy did praise the f18 though in dogfighting maneuvers (turning the nose). was pretty interesting even though i didnt know half of what he was talking about.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to the Corps 10-yr aviation plan, the first squadron of JSF's will be stood up in 2012 if memory serves. The plan is to first replace the Harrier squadrons, then eventually the Hornets

but, if I had to bet money on it, I'd wager that we'll procure some of the Navy's superbugs before we start replacing hornets with F-35s.

Lonestar155

is good to go
According to a few harrier pilots i spoke to at the last fleet week, they said the harriers can use up to 1/3rd of its fuel during take off and landing. Wouldnt these vertical take-off jets provide less capabalities to the military. They use more fuel and are much slower. Although these jets our very beneifical for the military during some specific missions, it would seem traditional jets would be the way to go. Please give me some feedback and opinions.

Grant

So eventually Hornets are going to be replaced by VSTOL F-35's? I guess that means Marines wont be flying from CVN's anymore, huh?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
They shed about 1500 lbs, reduced some drag and up'd the thrust on the engine to make up for the overage.

bluto

The Corps loves to build up our "VSTOL" capability. I think it's an accute fear of losing our TacAir and we'll accept the rather large capability gap that the F35B gives us in relation to the conventional takeoff version just to keep our little niche in aviation.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last I checked, the F-35 is replacing the AV-8, NOT the F/A-18. Am I right Squeeze?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The F-35 will be replacing both. The latest info is that they will replace a harrier sqdrn then a hornet sqdrn. This will continue untill all of the Marine Jets guys are hovering. Its so exciting that even the AF wants to get in on the hovering action, as they will replace their A-10's with VSTOL JSF'ers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
EODDave said:
The F-35 will be replacing both. The latest info is that they will replace a harrier sqdrn then a hornet sqdrn. This will continue untill all of the Marine Jets guys are hovering. Its so exciting that even the AF wants to get in on the hovering action, as they will replace their A-10's with VSTOL JSF'ers.

Ok, wasn't aware of them replacing Hornets. Thanks for the correction.

Air Force: If it's not pointy nose and fast, it's useless.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
EODDave said:

Something tells me it just wont be able to do the job of the A-10... maybe it just doesn't look as cool?

What happens to that nice stealth aircraft when you start putting bullet holes in it from CAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.