• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
At the risk of posting a "what % get jets" thread, is there the possibility of getting the F-35 out of flight school, or will the USMC be transitioning more experienced pilots from other air frames?

Thanks

Edit to add that I am still pre-TBS, so flight school is about 9-12 months off.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Despite the fact that you've got about a million tests of various fashion to pass before you're in a position to be considering this, I'll give you information I received about 10 months ago, because when I was in your position I had questions like this... Only I thought it wise not to ask them...

We were told that the first Cat-I JSF guys would be selected sometime in the middle of 2011. Obviously that won't be happening with the way the JSF has constantly failed to meet its timeline goals. Bottom line, do well at TBS and in 1.5 or 2 years, after you've been selected for jets, start thinking about specific airframes.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The answer is, "Maybe".

Now shift your aim back to the several hundred hurdles between you and having to seriously think about that.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Thank you all for the insight. I'll put my TBS blinders back on now.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
God forbid you have some goals Deror. It obviously butt hurts some people that you look in the future a little and try to set something to aim for. Yes, work hard on each step of the way, but by all means, set your sights on something that will make you work all the way through. The salt from some of these guys is unbearable. The answer to your question is going to have to be Uncle Fester's. That is a big maybe. It all depends on where the program is when you get to it. Your timing might work out since the longer it takes you, the better, due to all of the slides for the program. Have fun in TBS and flight school, and do your best.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Also, from previous discussions on here from years ago, regarding I think it was the Raptor... The first pilots will transition as more senior guys, and they generally will work towards the more junior guys down to Cat 1 (no previous airframe) over time.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
God forbid you have some goals Deror. It obviously butt hurts some people that you look in the future a little and try to set something to aim for. Yes, work hard on each step of the way, but by all means, set your sights on something that will make you work all the way through. The salt from some of these guys is unbearable.

While I would agree with you in theory, in reality: It doesn't work that way.

Having a goal to make YOU work hard is one thing, and it's probably something anyone in this business has. Having a goal and TELLING everyone about it is something else entirely!

My advice: Have a goal, but keep your mouth shut. Tell your instructors you want jets (when you get to that point), cause it does seem to help. Don't tell 'em you want to be the first F35 pilot cause you're so shit-hot it's scary...it won't help.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Having a goal to make YOU work hard is one thing, and it's probably something anyone in this business has. Having a goal and TELLING everyone about it is something else entirely!

My advice: Have a goal, but keep your mouth shut. Tell your instructors you want jets (when you get to that point), cause it does seem to help. Don't tell 'em you want to be the first F35 pilot cause you're so shit-hot it's scary...it won't help.

Are you really a primary stud trying to tell someone how things work? Having a goal is a good thing. That doesn't mean be a douche about it, but I respect someone who is driven a lot more than someone who won't say what they want because they're afraid of failure.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Well Cummins, thanks for telling me how it works. I was looking for inputs like that. At no point in Deror's post did he say anything about wanting to be the first JSF pilot. I'm tired of people asking legitimate questions only to get shit on because of it. Thanks for your advice, however, you want to keep something to yourself, let's start with your advice. He didn't say he wanted to be the Ace of the base, just asked about the timeline of a platform.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
God forbid you have some goals Deror. It obviously butt hurts some people that you look in the future a little and try to set something to aim for. Yes, work hard on each step of the way, but by all means, set your sights on something that will make you work all the way through. The salt from some of these guys is unbearable. The answer to your question is going to have to be Uncle Fester's. That is a big maybe. It all depends on where the program is when you get to it. Your timing might work out since the longer it takes you, the better, due to all of the slides for the program. Have fun in TBS and flight school, and do your best.

I don't think anyone got butt hurt but having some fun, sure. Lighten up Francis. Make another blanket statement like that, you'll take the bench for a while. I'm sure a Hornet DB, err az-hole won't be too upset at the prospect of being banned from AW for some time.

As for Cummins pilot, think twice before lecturing the guys with gold thingies under their profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.