• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

(F-35) Joint Strike Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevincjr1

I'm not sure if many of you know...which I doubt, becaus I am talking to alot of future naval aviators out there like myself. But If you didn't know the F-35 is estimated to be active in the Air Force, Marines, and the Navy in the year 2008. And if any of you out there are on the same time line as me that's about a year and a half to two years after I get my wings of gold (estimated). The airforce is suppose to get the largest bunch of the new fighter; 2,036 of them if i'm not mistaken. And I believe that the navy will only get about 300 of them. I was wondering how are pilots assigned to the new F-35 when it becomes active. Since it is taking place of the older models of the F/A-18 I know that some pilots will have to start flying the F/A-18 E and F models (Superhornet). How does this transition work? Does a pilot get to choose or what? And also how does this affect the pipeline for all of us future aviators. Any answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Kevin

catpounce

I also have a quick question about the F-35. My recruiter didn't know if it (or a version of it) will be configured for an NFO. Or even better, are there any websites out there that offer info on the F-35 (understandable if not)?

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
I wouldn't hold too much to any projections for the JSF. Right now, the Navy is putting a HUGE emphasis on helos, and according to what I have heard, over 60% of Navy aircraft will be rotary wing in the next 10 years
banghead_125.gif
to go along with the changing force structure. Also, the Navy is going to need to purchase a replacement for the P-3s that are falling apart as we speak
grumpy_125.gif
in the next few years also, so factor that into the budget and it doesn't leave much room left for new, unproven fighter planes. Finally, as I have heard from people who know more about the JSF than I do, they say there are problems with it already, so could it be out in 2008, yes, would I bank on it, absolutely not by they way they speak about it. Also, just remember, you have to get selected for jets first, which will be much more difficult as the years progress due to the reduced number of slots available, so keep your options open, a lot of things can happen in 5 years.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I thought the F-35 was a vertical take-off, hover and vertical landing craft, replacing the harrier.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
There are a couple different variants, depending on which service you're speaking of. Only the Marines (from what I understand) are getting the STOVL (I'm not sure if they are going to be completely VTOL or not).

kaiken82

I spoke with a pilot from VMFA-142 this weekend, and HE felt along with others in his community that the MARINES "might" end up with the SuperHornet by default if this JSF doesn't make some major progress soon.

Wink,
GO FLYING, YOU ARE A LITTLE EDGEY! WE ARE JUST TOSSING THE SUBJECT AROUND, NOBODY SAID IT WAS LAW!!

"WELL, ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE"

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

kimphil

I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's never stopped me anyway. So here's my take.

The F-35 is good to go. The Air Force needs to replace its F-16s with the JSF. I don't think the Navy has a pressing need for the JSF since the Superhornet is a solid plane, but JSF represents the next generation of fighters while the F/A-18 E/F is a derivative of the Hornet. The Marine Corps and Royal Navy are flying the Harrier, which is not a plane that they want to use far into the 21st century.

If the Air Force picks up the JSF, I'm sure the Navy will. Calling the JSF an unproven fighter is a bit extreme. The JSF is basically a poor man's version of the F-22 Raptor, which looks to be the emerging dominant strike fighter of the 21st century. I know the F-22 has had problems, but once those are solved the JSF should come along as well, since both planes share similar stealth characteristics, (I believe) will have the same radar and avionics, and will have the same engine. The Air Force and Navy versions of the JSF aren't radical departures from past fighters, and their commonality with the F-22 makes them low risks. The key concern is cost. Too expensive, and the Navy may not pick it up.

The Marines/Royal Navy versions are radical departures. They employ a lift fan for STOVL operations. This hasn't been done in a Western fighter. Also, I wouldn't count on the Marines giving up on the JSF at all (look at how hard they've fought for the V-22). The Marines don't have an alternative to the Harrier. They could replace their Hornets with Superhornets, but the Harrier can only be replaced by an STOVL JSF.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

kevin

im also by no means an expert, but the f35 doesnt even have a gun (from what ive heard) because the ever-so-wise engineers didnt deem it necessary. i find this strangely amusing because if for one reason or another you had to make an emergency ordinance jettison (mechanical problem, need for better turn performance, etc or weapon malfunction) about the only thing you are good for is performing an airshow for the enemy. not only that, but the point of having thrust vectoring is to enhance turn performance (most noteably dogfighting). now granted dogfights dont happen much nowadays, but if it did, you would most likely enjoy having a gun on board...otherwise you have a great turning radius which you can use for what? bumper planes? but i guess the ones sitting behind the desk know better than the pilots about this stuff, right? besides, without a gun we wont be able to shoot down their uav's (imho a disgrace to every aviator who ever flew a combat mission).

kevin

it is going to be more difficult in the future to get jets out of primary, but how difficult are we talking? is going to be a case where maybe one person out of every other class gets jets, or what?

kev, the JSF has a gun, it's only the Marine variant that needs an external gunpod. Reason for this was the lift fan that makes it possible for it pull a Harrier also takes up too much damn space, thus we have no room for a gun. The other version do however. And btw, the Harrier has no gun either, but the importance of guns, whether external or internal was learned a long time ago. I doubt they're that stupid.

kevin

that's good to know. i didnt realize the harrier was gunless. i have seen pictures of it firing guns, so i guess it's just always an external gunpod? if i were to fly a jet without a gun i'd keep my trusty glock in my lap. that way if i got in a dogfight i could just role down the window and cap his ass.....................would that be a fly-by shooting?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes the Harrier does have an external gunpod. 25mm

Beetle

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As long as the gun can be attached, the lack of an internal weapon isn't that big a deal. If the plane is doing CAP it can use the gun. Otherwise it's taking up weight and space that could better be used for bombs or sensors. I don't think any US aircraft has gotten a gun kill since Vietnam. Yes, "What if you're in a dogfight and out of missiles?" Again, it's mission dependent. I can put snow chains on my car's tires for a trip across the desert, because it just might snow, but I'm probably better off spending my effort on something more likely to be useful. Guns are a lot like bayonets--a big part of the training and doctrine, a very small part of actual practice.

Phrogs phorever

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah I heard that the A version of the JSF will have an internal gun but the B and C versions wont, but will be capable of carrying an external pod. It makes sense however that possibly the info I heard was wrong and that C version will carry it also.

Despite what people think about having guns on aircraft...the Military still strongly wants them. I dont know how many storys I have read about how the F4 was designed more as a strike airplane then a dogfigher because they felt that dogfighting was the past, only to have our F4's get the beating of their life by Vietnam MIGs.

My philosophy is never say never. Always be prepared for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.