• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-22s vs Syrian Fencers

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CNN and others are reporting that the CAOC and a couple of F-22s "strongly encouraged" some Syrian Fencers to depart the area near the Kurds and some US SOF types.

Aerial close encounter between US, Syrian jets

"Another senior defense official told CNN, 'If the Syrians try this again, they are at great risk of losing an aircraft.'"

Well, that's certainly clear enough.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just shoot them down
It will teach their entire air force a good lesson. Of course, that could escalate quickly, but I think we're in a much better position to impose our will in that theater than the Syrians. I'll be flying in that AOR next year and a MiG kill painted on one of my Growlers would go a long way in pissing off just about every VFA bro out there. :D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are some interesting "unpublicized" air-air kills out there. Like Saudi F-15s with a USAF exchange pilot wingman and USAF AWACS egging on the 'reluctant' RSAF pilots, popping some Iranian F-4s in '84. The interesting thing was that apparently the Iranians backed off any more engagements with the Saudis after that - this during the period where the Iranians were going after any "allies" of the Iraqis.

IRfly

None
Without any detailed info, it seems like the actual point of this encounter was Syria and Russia "strongly encouraging" American ground forces to find another spot of ground to operate on. And it appears to have worked.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
It will teach their entire air force a good lesson. Of course, that could escalate quickly, but I think we're in a much better position to impose our will in that theater than the Syrians. I'll be flying in that AOR next year and a MiG kill painted on one of my Growlers would go a long way in pissing off just about every VFA bro out there. :D

When you guys figure out that you need a SHOOT or IN LAR que to properly employ the AMRAAM then I'll start getting pissed that you are shooting anything down. And it's a SU not a MiG.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you guys figure out that you need a SHOOT or IN LAR que to properly employ the AMRAAM then I'll start getting pissed that you are shooting anything down. And it's a SU not a MiG.
Because nobody in VFA has ever taken an invalid shot, right? I can see I've touched a nerve already. :D

The story is about a Fencer, but the Syrian AF has mostly MiG airframes.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
So, if I'm trying to follow the logic from the opposing point of view: Syrian fighter jets can't fly over Syrian airspace?

I guess my next question is: Do U.S. fighter jets have authorization from the Syrian (Assad) government to overfly Syrian airspace for military purposes?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I'll be flying in that AOR next year and a MiG kill painted on one of my Growlers would go a long way in pissing off just about every VFA bro out there. :D

I'm guessing that would really grind the gears of the USAF F-15C guys too, since they haven't had the chance to shoot at anything since the original Gulf War... "Not a pound for air to ground" :D

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The Growler dudes in our Airwing are pretty good at valid employment. They consistently slaughter at least half of the SWEEP and SHIELD elements every LFE.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, if I'm trying to follow the logic from the opposing point of view: Syrian fighter jets can't fly over Syrian airspace?

They were a threat to US personnel, so they were warned. If he wasn't so busy slaughtering his own people he wouldn't have to worry about having US personnel in his country.

I guess my next question is: Do U.S. fighter jets have authorization from the Syrian (Assad) government to overfly Syrian airspace for military purposes?

No.