• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaznups

Has anyone seen them in action?

I'm no aviator just wondering if they started testing them with the military yet? I know that I think it's the AF that just signed for a low production of them to test out. I've seen video clips of them in action and they swear that they're the fighter planes of the 21st century. Wondered if anyone had an opinion on that...
icon_smile_question.gif

Why you may ask? Well my engineering mentor works there at this aerospace company and I've been seeing more and more what type of planes they build and are responsible for... Essentially every major plane the military uses....

Oh if you want to scope them out follow this link...
http://www.lmaeronautics.com/products/combat_air/f-22/index.html

Jaz

gosh they're either right or cocky when they say...

"No fighter in the world comes close to matching the F-22. By every measure, the Raptor represents extraordinary breakthroughs in maneuverability, stealth, sensor fusion – a wealth of parameters that define a new era in fighter capability..."

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
They are big, expensive, fast, stealthy, and will dominate. However they arent making more than about 450 because they cost so damn much.

JayManC

jaz there was this great special on TLC the other day, i think it was extreme machines or something to that effect. anyway they had a snippet on the f-22 needless to say i was impressed. from what i saw it looks huge but thats because all of the weapons are stored internally, not to mention the thrust vectoring system makes for quite a ride. they showed it at about a 60-70 degree roll and flying sideways. the drawback....$99 million per plane.

on a side note we should be getting them here at langley AFB to replace the f-15s around 2007 or 2010?

<insert something witty here:>

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yeah, but wouldn't you rather have $99 million worth of equipment wrapped around you when you went into harm's way? If that's the price to pay to up the odds you'll be coming home!

jaznups

Sweet... yea the clips I saw of the F-22 seemed pretty sweet but I didn't know the price...
WOW! But Im with you jboomer I'd want whatever to aid me in coming home... :-P

Just out of curiousity what's the average price of the f-15s? not nearly that much I presume but a hefty price...

Which makes me wonder what type of secret craft they're building? Gosh it's gotta be tough to be designing an ultimate plane and not get to tell anyone about it :)

Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by Velocity
F-15 is about 20-30 mil...someone check me on that.
If you go to the excahnge on any Wednesday in November (military appreciation month) you can buy lots of two or more F-15E for 41.4 million; use your STAR card and you get 90 days same as cash.

ghost_ttu

Does that come wet with free refills on fuel? I was kind of hoping for the 0% interest for 600,000 months.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

jaznups

hahahaha
Hey do you think if everyone pitched in that we could work it like a timeshare [:p]

I saw the thing on TLC that you were talking about Jayman

niceee!

jaz

JayManC

i dunno about an f22 but some guy out in cali was selling a MiG-21 Fishbat on e-bay, i dont think the minimums been met on it, last time i looked it was around 120k.

<insert something witty here:>

Status
Not open for further replies.