• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-22 Crash in CA

This seems to be a bad few months for crashes well at least ones reported. Hopefully the pilot is okay, wonder if the AF will get the money to get another F-22 since the program is already costing a ton.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Good reason to buy a few spares...

Of course the critics will eat this up. "You mean that a $150m plane can still crash?"

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Pretty bad time for this to happen, considering the rest of the -22 contract is up on the chopping block at the moment (or so I heard @ the LM Ft Worth plant a couple months back)

Pretty bad time for this to happen, considering the rest of the -22 contract is up on the chopping block at the moment (or so I heard @ the LM Ft Worth plant a couple months back)

Yeah that is what I thought I read in the news somewhere. I also thought the cost per plane had risen up towards the $200M range, which was a major factor in bringing up chopping the program. I guess the AF will have to look into the F-15SE program for themselves.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Generally we do everything we can to not speculate about the cause of a crash, which essentially means that until the investigation is complete talk of the malfunction is VERBOTEN!

FLY_USMC

pilot
Rest in Peace....I know that if that's the way I'm going to go.....I would want to roll out in the Cadillac of Fighters.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
RIP pilot. That really sucks. I would love to be a test pilot if I were so lucky as to eventually just become a pilot.

Either way, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This seems to be a bad few months for crashes well at least ones reported. Hopefully the pilot is okay, wonder if the AF will get the money to get another F-22 since the program is already costing a ton.

Every aircraft program calculates an Attrition Factor based on historical data/projections so they don't necessarily have to get additional funds to replace it. Exception is aircraft lost in combat, which can't be foreseen and, so far, Congress has been kind to services in their war supplementals.