• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18vs. F-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
contrail_dash said:
.....He said that the Hornet didnt do well vertically against the Viper. .......when 18's come and play with the 120th, they cant make the climbout of the "Sandbox" departure (a crazy vertical climb to avoid KDEN traffic) from Buckley...straight from the Hornets pilots mouth....

The F-18 can't make a published departure? I seriously doubt that -- I'd have to see that one to believe it.

I have gone 1V1 against both F-18 and F-16 strapped to an old, belching, clunky, smoky, leaky, gasping Douglas A4. The verdict? The F-18 is superior overall to the F-16. As always, it all depends how the aircraft is flown. There are good pilots, there are not so good pilots, and there are a whole bunch of average pilots.

One man's opinion ... based on experience ... period.

contrail_dash

The Sandbox is a special departure/arrival just for the 120th, basically they have approx. 2 miles to go from the end of the runway ( at about 6000 MSL) to over 14,000 feet. Buckley is just south-southwest of DEN and the arrival pattern basically blocks in Buckley, so ATC uses the Sandbox to deconflict the Vipers from commerical traffic. Its pretty wild to watch the takeoff...and when they use the Sandbox arrival, they split-S into the pattern. I'm totally serious...been in the flight planning room and seen the charts/diagrams.

contrail_dash

I guess maybe the altitude here has something to do with it..plus a full load of gas..who knows..its just what I've seen and been told by both sides.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The only way you can answer this one is to get an F18 driver who has done the departure --- he/she/ or it would be able to give us the real gouge. I certainly can't ....

Like I said, I'd have to see this one to believe the -18 can't make a published departure, and I ain't from Missouri ..... And I know all the "big stuff" about taking off from hot/high altitude airports ... Las Vegas, Denver, Albequerque, or try Quito, Ecuador (@ 9500' -- w/Braniff :eek: )

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Don't get me started about Timber. You know about all the sh*t she pulled, right?

Brett

I thought you might like that.

contrail_dash

I have talked to two pilots that have done it...as I already said "straight from the pilots mouth". One of the pilots (former Navy) got hired as a traditional hire, the other was a former Marine hornet jockey thats now a Major with the unit. He told me the story originally. I'm not argueing iwth anyone here, I'm just passing along what I've been told. Personally I think they both are good sources, one of whom has flown BOTH aircraft out of there.

I'll see if I can get one of the guys up there to give me the exact numbers on that departure, just to quell any uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.