• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18vs. F-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFuqua86

which is a better plane? I read a book on Col. John Boyd (first author of fighter tactics mnual, EM theory, Father of F-16) It made the 18 sound like a dishwasher. Don't really know if this is true seeing as how cessnas is the baddest ride ive ever been on.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are no absolutes when comparing two CAT IV fighters. Both jets have relative strengths and weaknesses.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... And I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good Anyday ...

Which is better? It depends ... what day of the week is it and do you /don't you have a hang-over?

More seriously, I have fought them both --- -18's and -16's (-15's for that matter) flown by Navy, Marine, and Air Force --- flown by U.S. and foreign pilots. Radar environments, BVR (them, not me), non-radar, good WX, not-so-good WX, low-level, high-level, fast fight, sloooowwww fight, 1V1 and 25-plane "fur-balls" .... And I was just driving my old A-4 with my even older body.

Actually, the toughest fight I ever had was against two broken-down ANG F-106 drivers on a made-up late afternoon hop out of Tyndall AFB. I had my hands full with those two boys -- they worked a section as beautifully as I've seen it done ... and then there were those two Marine F4s out at Yuma ... and then ... and then ...

The point: It ALWAYS comes down to basics ...the pilot, his training, how he and/or his Amigos implement what they have been trained to do .... The aircraft is the frosting on the cake -- it comes as a bonus.

... And then there is luck, also .... :)

a4-i.jpg
743383.jpg

isshinwhat

None
"... And then there is luck, also .... "

Buddy of mine who flies F-16's said if he was lucky and got the drop on an 18 he could make things real interesting for the Hornet, but if things got tight and slow, his best bet was to bug out becuase a Hornet in a dogfight would give him a fit.

Grant

A4sForever, why were you flying A-4's in "air to air"? Were you in an adversary unit? I was under the impression that they were only used in the "air to air" role in adversary squadrons, not front-line units...? Just curious. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Grant said:
A4sForever, why were you flying A-4's in "air to air"?
Because they told me to :) ... and it paid the bills when I lost my first airline job --- Braniff. :(

And it was a good deal -- I got to see how both halves of the Navy tactical community lived -- attack and fighter. In fact, we did some of our flying just down the road from Ft. Worth & you in the Brownwood MOA.

Being a former Attack puke, I was "lucky" ... and what did we say about that??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
isshinwhat said:
"... And then there is luck, also .... "

Buddy of mine who flies F-16's said if he was lucky and got the drop on an 18 he could make things real interesting for the Hornet, but if things got tight and slow, his best bet was to bug out becuase a Hornet in a dogfight would give him a fit.
The Vipers are very AOA limited and generally do not like vertical fights, whereas the Hornet does well in that regime. We had a CJ driver doing a tour in my Prowler squadron and she told up that they generally don't like going at it with Hornets WVR.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Because they told me to :) ... and it paid the bills when I lost my first airline job --- Braniff. :(

And it was a good deal -- I got to see how both halves of the Navy tactical community lived -- attack and fighter. In fact, we did some of our flying just down the road from Ft. Worth & you in the Brownwood MOA.

Being a former Attack puke, I was "lucky" ... and what did we say about that??
I've done a couple Dets down at JRB Ft Worth with the reserve Hornets. Great place and airspace complex. Last time we were there, they had a storm that blew a hangar door in on top of one of our Prowlers (CAG Bird). I've seen some pics of the incident circulating on some of these forums. Also blew an A-4 on its side and on some CONEXs and tipped over a couple Hercs. Bad times.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
The Vipers are very AOA limited and generally do not like vertical fights, whereas the Hornet does well in that regime. We had a CJ driver doing a tour in my Prowler squadron and she told up that they generally don't like going at it with Hornets WVR.

Brett

At least she didn't bring her KC-10 to the fight, then she would have lost for sure ;) .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I've done a couple Dets down at JRB Ft Worth with the reserve Hornets. Great place and airspace complex. Last time we were there, they had a storm that blew a hangar door in on top of one of our Prowlers (CAG Bird). I've seen some pics of the incident circulating on some of these forums. Also blew an A-4 on its side and on some CONEXs and tipped over a couple Hercs. Bad times.

Brett

Saw pictures right after that, our AMO had them. Not pretty.

Grant

NAS Fort Worth is a nice place. A friend of mine, her dad was the base CO for 2 years until late summer, when he retired. He is an NFO, and was with VF-201 when they were at NAS Dallas, back in their Tomcat days. I get a kick how the base CO and XO's houses are literally across the road from the federal prison (womens prison, but prison nonetheless). :D Also, Lake Worth and the boat ramp were walking distance from there, and if it werent for the stockade-style fence, their backyard would be a runway. LOL.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
At least she didn't bring her KC-10 to the fight, then she would have lost for sure ;) .
Don't get me started about Timber. You know about all the sh*t she pulled, right?

Brett

contrail_dash

I interviewed with the 120th FS (ANG) in Denver this past fall. Spent ALOT of time pledging there. They hired a Hornet jockey, talked to him too. He said that the Hornet didnt do well vertically against the Viper. I also remember seeing that Red October thing where the 29's just owned the 18 in the vertical. Plus, when 18's come and play with the 120th, they cant make the climbout of the "Sandbox" departure (a crazy vertical climb to avoid KDEN traffic) from Buckley...straight from the Hornets pilots mouth.

Thats all I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.