• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 Brake Problems

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw that article as well and was wondering the same thing...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We turn anti-skid off at the boat or it would sense a stopped tire as a skid and release the brakes in an uncommanded fashion...not good on the roof. When the anti-skid has not been used in so long it tends to bit check okay, but often has problems functioning at the field. Usually manifests itself after a bingo divert or similar reason to fly ashore from the boat.

Also CDPs (cross deck oendants) can slap the anti skid lines and cause problems with their functionality if you divert and needed it.

I flew a Pro A out of North Island on an F-14A that had not flown in 8 months, not only did the fuel dump stick open (dumps to about 2.5k or so) causing us to hose down anyone on the golf course hole under the approach to 36, but the anti-skid locked up both tires the first time we tried it on roll out. Boom, boom, and we're on the rims dribbling jp-5 out our dumpmast scraping 1200' down the runway.

We stopped okay, shut it down and egressed. Rims were ground down about 10" and basically almost flush with the bottom of the main landing gear oleo struts.

Brake problems are not new, this looks like someone just trying to make news to me.

Cheers.
G

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I worked on Hornets as an Airframer and did not see much problem with said wires but they do take a beating. The entire wiring harness there is a mess and a little surprised that there aren't more problems. The entire time I was with or supported CVW-5 in Japan, I never once saw or heard of a Hornet running of the field or damaging the airplane because of Anti-skid failure. Don't get me wrong anti-skid had its problems (especially when returning from the boat) but never as bad as they are reporting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hornetframer said:
I worked on Hornets as an Airframer and did not see much problem with said wires but they do take a beating. The entire wiring harness there is a mess and a little surprised that there aren't more problems. The entire time I was with or supported CVW-5 in Japan, I never once saw or heard of a Hornet running of the field or damaging the airplane because of Anti-skid failure. Don't get me wrong anti-skid had its problems (especially when returning from the boat) but never as bad as they are reporting.
There is a whole lot more to the story from the over run at NASNI, not that the media cares. Far be it for them to actually get the details of a story right.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What and let actual facts get in the way of a great breaking news story..???

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
hmm, "severe braking problem", news to me ... sh1t i'm more worried about planning link failure on landing than i am the brakes or anti-skid sh1tting themselves. the planning link issue has been killing hornet pilots & crashing jets for 15+ years now, and they still haven't fixed it (don't know if they ever will or if they are even trying). and don't get me started on the OBOGS system, lets just say a few more immediate action items have written themselves since OBOGS was introduced into the hornet, written in blood while the pilot was sleeping (due to hypoxia)

S/F!

phrogpilot73

Schnuggapup said:
I flew a Pro A out of North Island on an F-14A that had not flown in 8 months, not only did the fuel dump stick open (dumps to about 2.5k or so) causing us to hose down anyone on the golf course hole under the approach to 36, but the anti-skid locked up both tires the first time we tried it on roll out. Boom, boom, and we're on the rims dribbling jp-5 out our dumpmast scraping 1200' down the runway.

I think I have found the problem here. And as any good officer, I'm willing to offer a solution - Vertical Landing! Sorry, couldn't resist.

To fly is human, to hover is divine.