• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 Wearing Digis

ftrooper

pilot
Training Rules take care of Midairs in BFM, not paint jobs. If you're so worried about a paint job that you violate training rules and then hit the other aircraft, you're an idiot! You know, that airplane sure gets bigger the closer you get to it! Maybe if I break the bubble and get real close I'll figure out what that is painted on the bottom? Hacker, it wasn't the canopy that got you beat, it was that huge Super-Walmart sized air-o-plane you were flying. You'll go slow when I want you to!
Here's a VMFA-115 jet with a canopy on the bottom. I think it's probably a pain to keep it painted, but I guess -115 likes them that way. Also, the VMFA-314 digital camoflauge Hornet. Sorry for the small crappy pictures, all I could find on the net.

Attachments

• 1020736.jpg
    1020736.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 1140581.jpg
    1140581.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 97

usmcecho4

pilot
Larger Picture of Digi-Hornet:
92677556_cc03613a3a_b.jpg

(bonus shot of KC-130j in the background!)

Larger Picture of False Canopy:
harrytrumannj_fa18.jpg

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As has been mentioned, Carlisle Ferris first patented the idea of painting a simulated canopy on the bottom of an aircraft in 1978, as part of what was known as the "Ferris Paint Scheme."

Four of VF-1's F-14's at the time were so painted for evaluation. Since then, various aircraft camouflage schemes (including a decoy canopy on the belly) have been tried on a number of different aircraft, both US and foreign.

A top and belly view.... which one is turning into you to engage; which one is turning away?
f14ferrismm9.jpg

Attachments

• ferris.jpg
    ferris.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 75

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HOOOOAH! A 2-for-1 Happy Hour. Lots of gas! A double Texaco. HOOOOOAH! :D

a6jo9.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's right Cat, the F4 and F-14: world's fastest fuel-to-noise converters!!
Maybe in AB… but with the F-14's variable-sweep wing and the original A-model's stupid fan engine, it could stay aloft without tanking for twice as long as my ass could ever stand.

More seriously, I have seen some A-6 live drops. Only a B-52 arc-light was more spectacular… but the A-6 was close, and obviously far more accurate (and with a better crew too......for attack pukes ;) ).