• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 ramming a 757?

Random Task

pilot
All I can visualize after reading that is the scene in AF1 where the eagle driver puts his plane between the missile and AF1. Always wondered why he didn't eject prior to impact.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
"With only 105 lead-nosed bullets on board..."

I think that might do a fair amount of damage to a large, non-maneuvering, target.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Could you FOD out an engine by flying in front of an airplane and putting out a shitload of chaff?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If you don't have missiles it's likely you don't have expendables.

Right. But what if you run out of missiles and BBs? Would chaff be substantial and dense enough to snuff an engine? I've never seen it dispensed---I'm just curious.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Right. But what if you run out of missiles and BBs? Would chaff be substantial and dense enough to snuff an engine? I've never seen it dispensed---I'm just curious.

Kinda far-fetched, but I imagine it is possible. You'd just have to get enough of the stuff into the actual core of the engine. Most of the air going through those bad boys never even sees combustion, so it's only got the one big whirly blade at the front to pass through, not the whole bunch of churning metal in the core.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Not likely from a tac-air craft. 60 rounds in an EA-6B and they are usually a mix of chaff and flares. When you break apart a chaff round it is more a fine fibrous mass (of specific lengths) than strips of hard material. Would make no difference to a high-bypass turbofan even if you could toss it right in.

jmcquate

Contributor
A little off topic. I think it was 105 20mm round between the 2 F-16s. Are rounds keep in the guns because the Vulcans don't like having no rounds in them?

The Phiz

pilot
"I would essentially be a kamikaze and ram my aircraft into the tail of the aircraft. I gave some thought to, you know, would I have time to eject?"
But the young pilot was concerned about failing to hit the target.

That's the first thing I thought of when reading that article. You only get one chance. I would think it would be VERY difficult to aim for a specific part (i.e. Cockpit or tail), eject, and still hit it. You would probably need a pretty quick closure rate to maximize the damage. It would be a very very small window in my mind of when you had both the opportunity to eject, and a 'good feeling' about the success of the maneuver.

Then again, I have very little flight time, and no experience in a gray jet.

I remember some of the old sim guys telling us that only one or two pieces of lead in the engine can pretty much make it useless.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A little off topic. I think it was 105 20mm round between the 2 F-16s. Are rounds keep in the guns because the Vulcans don't like having no rounds in them?

It might've simply been all that the squadron had immediately available. (Just a wild guess.)