• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Shoestring??

B

Blutonski816

Okay, I dunno why I never got around to asking this earlier...

Okay, I notice that on the F-14's nose, right behind the Radome, there is a small, shoestring-like cord.... So I just have to ask... What's up with that??

Schnug, you're the F-14 guy here so I expect you'd have an answer....

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Its for determining zero side slip for engine out flying. For you non-multi engine types, thats when the a/c is flying at its most economic position (i.e. nose straight into the wind, least amount of drag)

so when the string is straight back (relative wind straight down fuselage), and proper bank is in there, you have zero slide slip

p.s. i know this because i was told by my dad (tomcat pilot), just so you dont think im pulling this out of my a$$-crack

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For you non-multi engine types, thats when the a/c is flying at its most economic position (i.e. nose straight into the wind, least amount of drag)

As a "non-multi engine type", I can guarantee you that I am more concerned about sideslip in my aircraft than any multi guy.

phrogpilot73

You've got to be kidding me, right? All the high-tech, whiz-bang crap jet guys have, and they have a string?!? What is this world coming too...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ya know mules, I think you could just have said "yaw string" and left off all the rest of the explanations. Most of us pretty much figured out the basic aero stuff prior to getting winged.....

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
A lot of helos have that too though... I think most of the Eurocopter helos (civvie ones at least) have the string.

phrogpilot73

A lot of helos have that too though... I think most of the Eurocopter helos (civvie ones at least) have the string.
You had to point that out?!? Dammit... I knew that Eurocopter, Robinson, and Rotorway rely on a string (they don't have a ball, so it's predominantly mounted on the windscreen), but come on - we're HELOS. You'd kind of expect it from us, not from something that has a HUD! :D

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You've got to be kidding me, right? All the high-tech, whiz-bang crap jet guys have, and they have a string?!? What is this world coming too...

pfft
We are far more sophisticated than a piece of string, thank you. I give you the Harrier wind vane:

phrogpilot73

Mefesto said:
It's a bad day in either case... at least you've got the ejection seat though.
A single engine failure in a Phrog in Iraq in July is a bad day. My buddy made the pad he took off from (closest to friendlies) by about 6 inches... Dumping fuel the whole way down, and puckering his ass cheeks as well. Apparently all his passengers had the same expression on their face - :eek:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Because with zero side slip, you won't have a centered ball in a single engine situation.

How's that work? Asking, not trying to be a smart ass.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
my guess is you fly kind of diagonally.. i just pulled that straight out of my ass...