• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 replaced when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

Anybody know when the tomcat will be decommisioned and or they decommission the rag? When will the Superhornets offically join the squadrons?

Finch

Dave Shutter

The "Black Aces" of VF-41 are scheduled to be the first F-14 squadron to transition to the F/A-18/F after a six month deployment in late 2001, after which they will relocate to NAS Leemore and become part of the Pacific fighter wing. In Jan. 2002, the "Fighting Checkmates" of VF-211 will be next in line. I'm quessing they'll follow suit and hit the west coast as there are yet no plans for any E/F units in Oceana, according to the Oceana website anyway.

I met a VF-41 LCDR. at an air show recently(not too thrilled about the transition) and he said all the older "A" model units will be the first to go, followed by the "A" plus's, B's and then D's. Also he said that the Tomcat units will remain as two seater's in the "F"'s and retain their type of missions, while the "E"'s replace the "C"'s.

From what I've read and heard, even with two squadron transitions a year it will still take up to six to eight years before all VF's become VFA's, IF they transition on time. I expect the mighty cat to be around for at least another ten years.

Most of this info is from the squadron sites on the NAS Oceana site, and the rest of it is mostly from officers I've talked with.

Which brings me to a question I have for Matt: What kind of percentage of advanced stud's are going to the Tomcat RAG nowadays?

D

Dave Shutter

quote:The Navy is conducting environmental impact and suitability studies at a number of places in the east to determine where the Superhornets will be stationed. Last I heard Oceana wasn't on the list.

I think they might be. On the Oceana site they have this fancy graphic and a link to the EIS program. On it, it discusses the outline and schedule of the analysis of the environmental issue to determine E/F introduction to Oceana. But again it says nothing about an E/F fighter wing which I quess is still in the air.

That's funny to me, the compliment of jets at Oceana is a shell of it's former self, but they need an environmental program to decide if they can have E/F's. They'll replacing existing jets so it's not like the number of planes will be greater, and I thought the newer jets burned cleaner anyway.

D

Jeff

I live about 2 miles from Oceana and know several pilots bot 14 and 18, and to them the major concern is the complaints about jet traffic. Communities in the area are nonstop complaining about the noise ever since we got all the 18s from the Ceicel closing. It has been all over news for months around here and the Navy is trying to figure out what to do about it. People will be furious if the E/Fs begin replacing 14s here. The major concern is where the can practice landing on the boat. They currently Bump out at Fentress Airfield but communities have sprung up everywhere and the majority of the problem is people complaining when they have to practice night landings out there. Plus it sucks for pilots because there approach is nothing like what it is out on the boat, they fly in way to high in tighter patterns to keep noise levels down. The pilots complain about having trouble with landings when they finally get to the boat. From what I understand, if they can find a place enviormentally safe for practice landings fpr the boat then they will begin moving the E/Fs out here. They have several locations in mind they are just deciding which will work best.

Status
Not open for further replies.