• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Bureau Number

Sub King

This may be a shot in the dark, but I'm trying to see if anyone can help me out in finding a Bureau Number of an F-14A back in the early 80's while it was attached to VF-1. My dad's 50th birthday is coming up and I'm trying to get him a custom replica of a plane with correct BuNO, tail code, and paint scheme. The specific BuNO is off an A/C he had a barricade arrest while on the Kitty Hawk. It's somewhere in the 161290 range, but not really sure of the last three. I don't have his log book to look at so I thought maybe one of you salty dawgs might be able to point me in the right direction. I've looked on a couple of website's BuNOs, but nothing has been all that helpful. Thanks in advance!

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
It's a shot in the dark, but you could always try the KH's PAO. The boat PAO offices are always looking for something to do ("human interest stories," etc.). They might be able to find someone in the Air Department who might be able to find records. Again, it's a longshot; but we're missing your dad's logbook too...

B

Blutonski816

yeah.... if you had Batman Skills and could sneak a peek at the logbook, you'd be set...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
There are pics in the book called "The Cutting Edge" of a VF-1 tomcat going through the net. The book was made in '86. I can't see the hull number on the island but it looks like the kitty hawk. The plane was 107, cant see the BuNo.

Here is a good site with BuNo numbers: http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-serial.htm

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd recommend going to www.f-14association.com and asking if someone flew with your father in VF-1 during that timeframe. Explain what you are looking for and you will most likely get a good BuNo from that era.

Good luck.

Sub King

Thanks fellas. Mules83, that is the actual picture of the barricade trap, but I can't see the BuNO like you said even with a magnifying glass.

Sounds like a good idea Goober. You think they have records going back that far?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Hey, like I said, it's a shot in the dark. You'd be surprised what kind of records the Navy keeps. If they don't, you're no worse off.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Im guessing this is your dad coming in. Its the same a/c from the book I talked about earlier.

f142476hj.jpg

f142481co.jpg

f142498px.jpg

f142509yj.jpg

Ryker044

Growing a stache just like Selleck.
1984 was the year the Wolfpack were on the Kitty Hawk. Like Schnugg said, the f-14 association is your best bet.

Sub King

Yeah Mules, that is my dad, but they are different from the pictures in the "The Cutting Edge". And Schnugg, you are correct sir, his name is "Fish". Hopefully you knowing his name is a good thing and not a bad thing.

In any case, I finally figured the BuNO out using a couple of different websites. I'm continually amazed at the extent of information on the internet. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.