• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlawz2323

hey guys,

I just talked to a navy recruiter and he said that you need to be 20/20 uncorrected to be a pilot in the navy. Now I've read a thousand times on this forum that you can be 20/40 uncorrected, correctable to 20/20 to be a pilot. Please shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
20/40 is right. If you don't have that you might try looking into whether they're still taking people for the PRK study.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Adding to what's above, 20/30 let's you fly with no restrictions. If you are 20/30 to 20/40 (20/20 correctable), you will have to fly with glasses on and a backup pair in your flightsuit--no kidding this info comes from a friend who is a Navy eye doc. Bear in mind, in addition to the simple refraction numbers, they will check you for astigmatism, depth perception, phorias, the list goes on. All of these criteria have specific standards. See if you can get the complete visual requirements from the NAMI web site. Your regular eye doctor can check you out for most, if not all of them. This may save you the trouble of applying only to find out you had a problem you weren't aware of. Good luck.

LTJG G

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
That's my understanding. Just remember that when they dialate your eyes, your measurements will change. When we're young, our eye muscles compensate well for incorrect lens shape. When they dialate the eye, they paralyze the muscles to see what your "real" prescription is. Some people compensate so well that they are 20/40 or better on a regular test (manifest refraction) but fail when they get their eyes dialated for a flight physical (called a cycloplegic refraction) This is why I suggest having a private eye doc do a cycloplegic "dialated" exam. This can help prevent the NAMI Whammy.

LTJG G.

(I'm currently a Medical Service Corps Officer, hence the medical mumbo jumbo)

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
So you are saying that even if you pass the manifest, they will fail you if you don't pass the cycloplegic? That sux!! I am 20/30 right and 20/35 left pro rec'd, but I am not sure I will make it being on the border like that after they dialate. Nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.