• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight reqiurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Well, I know that we´ve all discussed it a lot, but the eyesight requirements aren´t exactly clear to me. If it requires a minimum of 20/30, how much is that, and what do these numbers actually mean? I know I sound lame, but I would really like to know. Also, are there any tests online, where I could check out how good my eyesight really is. Doesn´t need to be extremely accurate, but I would like an overview just to see where I fit in.

Bully

20/20 means that you can see at 20 feet what a person w/ normal vision could see at 20 feet. So 20/30 means you can only see at 20 feet what a normal person could see at 30 feet.
There are several sites online that have vision charts. BUT, a few things about that: For starter, remember that most sites are there to sell something(i.e. glasses or contacts) so take the results with a grain of salt. Another thing: print the chart out(with a really good printer) if possible. Follow the instructions to the letter(no pun intended). For instance, DO NOT close your eye, instead cover it with a piece of paper or something. If you close it, you can distort the shape momentarily and screw-up the results. Also, do the test in a well lit room.
To find a chart, just go to metacrawler and type "vision chart" or "vision test"...you should get lots of hits.

Bully

Question guys:
What's up with the Navy and AF dropping vision requirements for Pilots? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I know the Navy's is 20/30 and I believe the AF has gone to 20/50. They've also apparently raised the maximum age. Are the services really hurting for pilots that badly? What's the feeling like in the aviation community right now? What has caused the problem?
Just curious-
Bully

Phoenix

Clinton´s budget lowering, that´s what. Altough that will be better for me, since I will probably have more chance to get into the program. Thanks for the replay Bully. I really appreciate it.

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.