• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye Surgery/NFO to Pilot Program

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I have a secondary question along the lines of this topic but will avoid starting a new thread.

I was talking to a fellow a-pool prior-enlisted today while we got voluntold volunteered to move an instructor out of one office into another (tough life, right?) He told me he was passed up for PRK because even though his eyes were out of limits for pilot, his eyes were still fairly strong thus there was too much to risk with the surgery and they wouldn't do it. For those of you who have either gotten PRK or know FO's that have,; is this a common theme? Without getting into the weeds, my astigmatism is enough out of limits that they won't retest me, but I'm still seeing 20/50. He said his eyesight was something like 20/70 in one eye and 20/30 in another.

Thanks.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
This gets old....every couple of years another who flies argument. What's the matter e6bflyer, you bored or is it just your time of the month?
It was a joke. NFOs are important...I get it if anyone does. My job literally wouldn't exist without them. It just sounds funny when someone who doesn't manipulate a set of controls says that they are flying something. The wrong person would definitely get the wrong idea. But, since this argument has obviously been laid to rest, I will no longer attempt to poke fun at my back seat brethren. You guys can fly whatever you want.

Glider3

None
e6bflyer, some in the RAG do. So I did actually fly one... altho I spent the whole time thinking "WTF am I doing?" No hard feelings, I'd be bitter if I flew an airliner too ;)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
e6bflyer, some in the RAG do. So I did actually fly one... altho I spent the whole time thinking "WTF am I doing?" No hard feelings, I'd be bitter if I flew an airliner too ;)
Touché. Flying the E-6 is definitely monotonous as shit. I probably push more buttons and turn more dials on an average flight than most NFOs. The lack of awesome flying makes me sad, but then I just go roll around in my bed of perdiem checks and I feel all better.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The lack of awesome flying makes me sad, but then I just go roll around in my bed of perdiem checks and I feel all better.
Now you are starting to sound like a nuke...if you have to brag about the money you are making, you are doing it wrong. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Now you are starting to sound like a nuke...if you have to brag about the money you are making, you are doing it wrong. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)
Yeah, I am definitely busted there. The flying is, admittedly, mind numbing. I made a play early on to be with my wife and kids. There were times that I wish I had chosen the other way, but 2 years of boat life cured me of that.
Honestly, if I could do it all over again and write my own story, I would be a COD guy. Truly the best of both worlds. Where were those guys when I was going through primary to tell me how awesome their lives are?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I am definitely busted there. The flying is, admittedly, mind numbing. I made a play early on to be with my wife and kids. There were times that I wish I had chosen the other way, but 2 years of boat life cured me of that.
Honestly, if I could do it all over again and write my own story, I would be a COD guy. Truly the best of both worlds. Where were those guys when I was going through primary to tell me how awesome their lives are?
If only they had NFOs in the COD community, I would have went that route as well....

-ea6bflyr ;)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Where were those guys when I was going through primary to tell me how awesome their lives are?

They are in Kingsville going on CCXs to San Diego, Vegas and Key West. And when they aren't doing that they are either bagging traps as lead safes or waiving for student CQ dets.

They did a pretty good job of recruiting in advanced. Those guys love the shit out of their job almost as much as the Hornet/Harrier guys when they got to drop bombs and fly ACM.