• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye Surgery/NFO to Pilot Program

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Just graduated OCS and re-designated to NFO for vision issues from SNA. I'm curious about the possibility of eye surgery in the NFO career pipeline. Looking to try to do the NFO to Pilot switch later on in my career, but I'll personally need eye surgery for that to happen. Is it true that I won't be able to get it until the first shore tour?

Also, is it true the NFO to Pilot program is a so called "career killer" that I've heard it is?

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
At my eye clinic I have seen NFO's elect to attempt to get corrective eye surgery while they are in a hiatus status during their training pipeline. It really all depends on the CO and which procedure you get. Lasik will ground you for two weeks while PRK grounds you for 3 months. If you're eligible for Lasik you have a better shot.

Also, how long you might be back from a deployment and staying at your squadrons home and not deployed can have an effect.
The process to get refractive surgery starts at an eye doctor. You will get a consult for the surgery. You will then route this consult through your chain of command to your CO or by direction authority for prioritization. Seeing how you're NFO you would be the highest priority. Then you will make an appointment with the refractive clinic and they will determine if you'r ea good candidate and if you are go over which procedure you can do. After this you will have to route another chit asking for permission to get the surgery.

Different squadron CO's have different stances on refractive surgery. I saw one CO decline refractive surgery for all Aviators at his command. Just depends.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
[...]Is it true that I won't be able to get it until the first shore tour?

Also, is it true the NFO to Pilot program is a so called "career killer" that I've heard it is?

There is almost no chance you'll be able to transition before the end of your first sea tour. I say almost no, because everyone has heard of someone who managed to get the switch in API, hell there was even a guy I knew who rocked NFO primary and got picked up for a transition. But we're talking <1% here. If you want to make the transition, you'll have to wait until a few years into your sea tour, read the message traffic, and submit a package. It's as competitive as it is based on whatever manning calculus BUPERS has ginned up that year. I will say that the vast majority of retreads I've encountered are former TACAIR types, but that could be because that's the community I'm in. Our community does seem particularly supportive of the anchorectomy though.

Career killer? I don't think so. It's been discussed here before, but there exist many successful senior officers who transitioned. J. R. Haley, former skipper of the GW was an A-6 B/N retread. I have a guy in my squadron who was a former WSO, now a pilot, and we just sent a WSO to pilot primary this summer. Neither of them seemed particularly concerned about second order effects on their careers.

Basically this is all about 6 years in the future for you. So I'd focus on not sucking for right now, and then things'll probably work out for you when the time comes.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the information.

I think the pilot age cutoff is 26, any idea what the max waiverable age is then for those NFO's who transition 6+ years into their career?

P3 F0

None
Assuming you successfully navigate that route (if I recall correctly, not many slots are available) then you'll roll into your first squadron (as a pilot) as (most likely) a LT. This can definitely impact what the DH screening board (and O-4 board) considers when it comes to your history (NOB's on your fitreps and possible lack of mission quals)--you'll be going up against guys that have been operational for longer than you. You'll have to spend time training to get your single anchor, then more training time at your squadron to get your quals . Your competition will not have had these delays.

At the same time, I've seen SWO-to-Pilots make DH and O-5 without a problem. It's always hard to try and guage the prevailing winds years out (for a while beofre 9/11, there wasn't even a DH screen for many communities), so my advice is to not worry about potential career pitfalls. Pursue what motivates you. If you get your double anchors, and still feel the need to pursue single anchor, go for it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RadicalDude is spot on. Once you start VT-10 as a Student NFO, there are zero chances to get a break to go Med Down to get LASIK or PRK. Some of my fellow Prowler NFOs during my first sea-tour got PRK (before LASIK was approved) right after our deployment during the post-deployment standdown. That may be an option, but it's still 4 or more years away.

You should be eligible for an age waiver once you apply, but that is driven by the NAVADMIN message.

-ea6bflyr ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Career killer? I don't think so. It's been discussed here before, but there exist many successful senior officers who transitioned...
Career killer... not necessarily, depends on timing (out of your hands), and as always, performance. The later in your first tour & beyond that you are selected for the switch, is going to put you further behind your YG contemporaries in total & 1P stick/yoke/collective flight time. That being said, in most cases, continued top performance as an Officer, and in the air, should keep you competitive for a successful career.
BzB

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
With respect to the "switch later on" aspect, while I would never say never, just take look of the latest (November 2012) redesignation board:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/administrative/TransferRedesignation/Pages/Status.aspx

While the quota for redesign "INTO" Pilot and NFO were 1 and 2 respectively, it is my understanding that none of either were selected. This seems to be on par with the last several redesig boards. I understand the June 2012 board selected two redesig for pilot (both were SWO).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With regards to getting the surgery during your sea tour, as others have said, it entirely depends on your CO. Right now, my squadron is going through the transition to P-8, so we have flexibility, so 2 NFOs have gone through with the paperwork for the surgery. One already has it done. the other is just waiting to get lased. If I had been more proactive, I would be the 3rd NFO in our squadron to get it done. not because I want to be a pilot. but because I'm just sick of being blind. Moral of the story: don't count on it during your sea tour unless circumstances (ie a CAT II syllabus) come up, but if they do, be proactive, unlike me, since I'll have to wait till shore duty to become not blind.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor

Your career is in your hands (largely dependent on your timing, YG, and somewhat your community for bodies required). You will have to make decisions whether your priority is to fly, or promote. Terminally, I chose the former with no regrets.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Have met a few transitions. All did it following their JO tours. As I understand it, you basically give up your first shore tour to flight school, and will potentially roll straight from the follow on non-traditional second JO tour to a DH job depending on your timing.....ie you might miss out on the disassociated tour. This is VFA specific, not sure how other communities stack up in this. As for career reprocussions, I have no idea, but you would certainly be a little non traditional for better or for worse.

Glider3

None
I thought of trying to transition until I started flying the Rhino. That thought is now gone. I love what I'm doing!

phrogpilot73

There's a fair chance you'll get passed over for your first look at LCDR. I have a classmate of mine from USNA that did NFO to pilot, and a buddy of mine's wife did it. They both were passed over on their first O-4 look. The buddy from USNA got picked up on his above zone look, and my buddy's wife is waiting to see what happens. Both were rockstars in their squadrons, it was just because of lack of competitive fitreps with their second jaunt through flight school.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a fair chance you'll get passed over for your first look at LCDR. I have a classmate of mine from USNA that did NFO to pilot, and a buddy of mine's wife did it. They both were passed over on their first O-4 look. The buddy from USNA got picked up on his above zone look, and my buddy's wife is waiting to see what happens. Both were rockstars in their squadrons, it was just because of lack of competitive fitreps with their second jaunt through flight school.
Depends on your first JO tour breakout. If you have a strong EP, then you should have no problem making LCDR. Remember you will be gettin Non-Observed FITREPS, while your peers are getting ranked FITREPS.

MasterBates

Also act like you want to come back to community as a pilot, even if untrue. Seen that get a solid number 1/2 EP player the kiss of death (1 MP) on the out the door FITREP on the way to 1390land.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk