• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye Sight detereoration

Stalin

I know right now I am a 20/40, which is on a fine line from being a no-go for flying, so I've been really thinking about this. When do the standards go down to 20/200? Is it after I take my physical for BDCP, or is there ANOTHER eye test also before flight school starts? My fear is to get 20/40 now and 20/50 in a year or two. Once I pass this one physical, am I good to go, or should I be worrying? And say I get 20/40 now and 20/50 later, would they take away my pilot slot (assuming I got it?)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know right now I am a 20/40, which is on a fine line from being a no-go for flying, so I've been really thinking about this. When do the standards go down to 20/200? Is it after I take my physical for BDCP, or is there ANOTHER eye test also before flight school starts? My fear is to get 20/40 now and 20/50 in a year or two. Once I pass this one physical, am I good to go, or should I be worrying? And say I get 20/40 now and 20/50 later, would they take away my pilot slot (assuming I got it?)

You will have another full (long form) flight physical before you start API. The standards throughout flight school are still 20/40 min, correctable to 20/20 for pilot/SNA. Once you wing, I understand those numbers change somewhat - I'll defer to our resident flight docs for the answer to that one though. That all having been said, I wouldn't worry too much about deteriorating eyesight. I stressed about it during my last year of college, and it ended up being a non-issue.

Stalin

yeah, my biggest fear is a bad day. I've been rated at 20/60 even one time but that was when I was really tired... and that's when they seem to give those damn tests. Are any re-tests or anything allowed or you kinda SOL the first time you get a 20/40.0001?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
yeah, my biggest fear is a bad day. I've been rated at 20/60 even one time but that was when I was really tired... and that's when they seem to give those damn tests. Are any re-tests or anything allowed or you kinda SOL the first time you get a 20/40.0001?

I was the exact same way. Depending on the day or doctor, I would either pass or fail. I even switched my designator back and forth while in BDCP.

I tracked down a flight doc down in Pensacola and had a few conversations with him. Awesome guy. He told me if I came down to Pensacola and got an eye exam, that he would give me paperwork that I could hand the doc while going through the physical at OCS saying I had already passed the exam. So while it was a bit extreme, I flew myself down there and had my eyes tested. Best decision I ever made. AND I passed with zero problems.

Stalin

Ok, I have another similar question. Saying I pass the eyesight test now, get selected, yada ya, and now I did OCS and I fail the eye test in pilot training. Am I released? Given another job? Given a chance to get PRK?

Also, a totally unrelated question, I just don't want to start a new thread, but does being active duty in BDCP count towards your 20 years active duty?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I have another similar question. Saying I pass the eyesight test now, get selected, yada ya, and now I did OCS and I fail the eye test in pilot training. Am I released? Given another job? Given a chance to get PRK?

Also, a totally unrelated question, I just don't want to start a new thread, but does being active duty in BDCP count towards your 20 years active duty?

Depends on if they need officers in another area or not. If things are full, you may just be sent home.

Yes, your BDCP time counts towards your 20 years (frickin awesome deal, huh!!)

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Just finished my physical at Whidbey and am gtg on everything EXCEPT my vision in my right eye is just over 20/40. They listed it as >20/40. I could read some of the letters on the line but not all of them and failed my 1/26 guess on the last one.

I was 20/35 when I went through meps 3 years ago so this wasn't too surprising but still annoying. I'm trying to get PRK done or I may go NFO or switch to ground. We shall see.

Stalin

Wow, I might just go ahead and get PRK if I get accepted. I know they discourage it, but come on Navy... ughh (yeah I know all about "needs of the ___ branch" but still, it's annoying when it can screw you over)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
To the OP, for about 72 hours prior to your eye test stay away from: tobacco, liquor and long hours awake. May seem like a little thing, but, when this has the ability to (possibly) alter your career, it no longer becomes a little thing. 24 hours prior make sure your piss is light yellow to clear...hydration is a huge thing for vision. Also, for that same three day period,and you should do this anyway, wear sunglasses.

During my time on AD, once you got winged, the standards relaxed a bit. Maybe one of the AD guys can chime in on this.

Stalin

thanks for the advice feddoc, never realized that hydration could alter you vision (makes sense now that I think of it)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
24 hours prior make sure your piss is light yellow to clear...
Feddoc: Any particular color preferred on pre-exam dumps? (Just kidding)

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
If you get PRK, I thought you had to wait 6 months for recovery before you can apply for a waiver? At least that's what I remembering doing when I was in NROTC.

Couple personal tricks I've used (because even though I got PRK, some days I feel like I'm around 20/20 and other days not so much) was googled some eye stretching exercises, got a good night's sleep so I wasn't all tired and squinting in the morning, and put a couple drops of eye moisturizer the night before, the morning of, and right before the exam. Always ended up getting 20/20 or better on my eye exams, even though I'm sure that's not always the case in reality.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Oh and one more thing, pretty sure they can prescribe glasses if you need them. My roommate (SNA) got prescribed them when he checked into API.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I am not sure how strict they follow that 20/40 rule throughout flight school. I tested 20/50 in one eye about half-way through Jet advanced, and all they did was give me some new glasses. Your individual experience may vary. I had PRK before I commissioned but my vision had since regressed.