• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Extra Curricular Activities and lack there of…

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmc

I know, I have like the top three posts but I have a lot of questions that I can’t find in my searches.

I want to be on the right track going in and right now I have a 2.9 GPA in Electronic Engineering/(Minor Mathematics.) Low GPA but this major is all but suicidal. My question is concerning extra curricular activities. Right now I am part of a lifting club that meets once a week to workout. Yes, it is an official college club. This is the only organization I belong too. Although I have the ability to make the sport teams here (small college), it is just incomprehensible for me to join. My day starts at seven and is solid till 9/10 at night. After my studies, I go to the gym, take a shower, then go to bed. I’ve been eyeing up RA (residential assistant) but fear I’ll be unable to join in the events they put together. I already dabbed my toe in the college government but they just convene way to often.

So anyone ever been in the same situation? I know they look at this stuff but there is just no way for me. It is not like I’m out partying or anything…in fact, I have no life!

Through some miracle, I landed a brief GF last semester and I swear to God, our dates consisted of her laying on my bed and watching me study. Sad I Know

jaerose

Try to get into some clubs/groups that meet like once a month. At my school I was in Sigma Zeta, which is the math/science honor society and it only met once a month. Also, I tutored Physics for 2 hours a week. It's little stuff such as those I mentioned that will add up.

JR

NavyLonghorn

I wasn't in any clubs. Don't know if that really matters as much as people says it does. Ofcourse compared to folx around here I am not competative atall, so, no idea why I actually got selected.

R_mojo1

BDCP-CEC, OCS June 05, 05
I am in the same situation. I have no extra curricular activities in school, and I don't hold any lead positions in the organization I joined "Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers"

This is the way I look at it:

I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering, I work full time, and I don't have the time to do the stupid things the organization does, such as charity work, tutoring, etc, etc. I am taking a full load in school==> Thermo, Kinematics of Machines, Fluid Mechanics, heat and mass transfer, and you name the rest. My life is like yours, my wife is always watching T.V while I study, no social life except riding my CBR 600 RR. There is not time for extra curricular activities in my life. I sent my package three weeks ago to become a Civil Engineer in the Navy. Only 1000 officers in this field, an extremely competitive program. We’ll see what the selection board thinks about my background. I am positive I am going to get selected, simply because I have an Engineering major, secondly because I work full time while going to school.

If you have a Electrical Engineering degree, you should not sweat the petty, the board members know how difficult these subjects are, it is not like you are taking business classes that you can pass with an A by only showing up for the test. Come on man, have some respect for your degree. The government loves technical degrees, and if the Navy says no, look at the Air force--they are not accepting any candidates unless they have a Tech degree==>they will say YES.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.