• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Extended stays at the hold short for NAS Whidbey Growlers?

Renegade One

None
Um, is this the first time a 737-sized aircraft has ever landed at NUW, or is there something I just don't understand? I'm sure it's the latter, you understand…like maybe "the bigs" are supposed to land beyond the short-field gear, given all that reverse-thrust stuff? Inquiring minds want to know!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
C-40s go into KNUW quite a bit and I've been on 767s out of there, too. The most memorable is me sitting at the hold short ready to roll and my XO knocks it out on his touch and go with a student. Needless to say, I noted it in my SHARP recap: Off deck late due to XO knocking gear out of battery...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
C-40s go into KNUW quite a bit and I've been on 767s out of there, too. The most memorable is me sitting at the hold short ready to roll and my XO knocks it out on his touch and go with a student. Needless to say, I noted it in my SHARP recap: Off deck late due to XO knocking gear out of battery...
I've seen an AN124 there, complete with russian crew. Not sure what they were doing there.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've seen an AN124 there, complete with russian crew. Not sure what they were doing there.

I've seen C-17s and I think even a C-5, too. The field can support it but they're probably limited in weight due to runway length. It's always cool seeing what random birds are in the transient line.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

We used to get an AN-224 (or maybe -225) into Miramar pretty regularly. Not sure if the crew was Russian, but it looked like a space station on final

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
We got a "dozen plus" P-8's at NIP and we don't have this problem.

Curious why it's happening up there.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It's a requirement to have the short field gear rigged anytime the jets fly so they keep it rigged pretty much at all times.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a requirement to have the short field gear rigged anytime the jets fly so they keep it rigged pretty much at all times.
Not a requirement, and it's stripped more than you'd think for normal ops.