• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Experince selling a gun through a consignment shop?

Random Task

pilot
Just to be clear I am not trying to sell my gun on airwarriors as I know it's forbidden.

Has anyone had experience selling a gun by consignment?

Approximately what is a reasonable percentage of the final value for a shop to charge for their service?

Does anyone know of a good store in the Corpus Christi / Kingsville area? (I understand Corpus is probably a better bet)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
i would try posting in the WTS section of sites like thehighroad.org or other firearms related forums. There is a large community of people who do this every day, and well within federal and most state laws. It is, however your and your buyer's responsibility to ensure that you adhere to those laws. Just an option to consider, and one that would save you any kind of consignment percentage.

Most gun shops also do a heavy volume of trading as well, which would be an option if you're looking to trade up, and while trade value would likely be less than what you would get selling it outright, it's still an option if another firearm is what you're after.

All that being said, I would personally be very, very reluctant to let go of any of my guns. The Gaijin's Wife Act of 2006 has been repealed, and I no longer have a cap on the number of firearms in the house (even if it was never enforced). Therefore, I continue to increase my collection.

Out of curiosity, why are you looking to sell it?

Edit: I'm on THR under the same screen name if you need assistance there.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

As gaijin suggested there are lots of active free boards out there that have classified. TRH is good as is www.24hourcampfire.com

I did sell a shotgun years ago on consignment out of Kesselrings in Wa State and I think it was 5% but those brain cells are old and weak thus may have been culled for the greater good. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've used the local ACE Hardware for 5 sales over the past two years ... they charged too much (@ 15%) and didn't 'market' the pieces very well online (so I typed the verbiage for each sale) ... but I wanted to do it 'quick & clean' w/ little or no hassle for me as I was gone a lot ... so I guess the cost was worth it. Some consignors charge different commission rates based on whether the item is long gun/handgun, but unless you're serious about it and want to squeeze max $$$$ out of the sale ... it's 'nice' to not have to hassle w/ payments and/or legalities.

For any 'serious' sales, I'd go elsewhere, however.

Random Task

pilot
Thanks for all the info, to answer your question I was looking to sell one of my ARs and get a larger caliber hunting rifle