• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Exchange Tours?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Physicx said:
How are you likeing your exchange tour, are you glad you did it. Plus knowing spanish is huge. How do you learn it that fast. Is it constantly your language and nothing else? And dose it start pretty basic?

How do I like it? It's not a bad way to earn a paycheck. I'm not gonna lie, it's very challenging, but I could always be working at Burger King. As the Webmaster alluded to (oh your urbane wit John...you slay me, j/k), the language barrier can be a b!tch. Try talking to the crew with an O2 mask on, in spanish, with an emergency going on. Or explaining prop pitchlock theory...or Situational Awareness (thanks to all the folks who sent me CRM stuff)

You learn it that fast because its total immersion training. No english allowed. 2 hours of homework a night, plus another hour of preparation/studying at least.

The course is designed for people (like me) with zero experience.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've found the most difficult things to get across in a foreign language is the technical stuff that you're not going to learn at DLI, or even having lived in a foreign country for years. How the hell do you tell a guy in spanish that your #2 transformer rectifier is on fire? :D

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's funny. That's what actually WAS on fire...

teh-erre numero dos

yeah, it took me a while to get as well

Drewpey

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I'm a USAF nav/ewo type looking for information regarding exchange assignment opportunities with the USN Growlers and/or USMC Prowlers. While initially looking into becoming a Growler backseater, I was basically told my chances are slim-to-none because I'm not an F-15E/B-1 WSO, but was told a potential exchange with the USMC Prowlers might be an option. Regardless of what I've been told, I'm still seriously considering pushing for these assignments for something new and a breath of experience in the EW world. Any information from lifestyle to mission would be appreciated. Here is your chance to dissuade/persuade, so please be honest.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I'm a USAF nav/ewo type looking for information regarding exchange assignment opportunities with the USN Growlers and/or USMC Prowlers. While initially looking into becoming a Growler backseater, I was basically told my chances are slim-to-none because I'm not an F-15E/B-1 WSO, but was told a potential exchange with the USMC Prowlers might be an option...

How about the expeditionary VAQ squadrons? Those are still a thing, right?

What do you fly now? It has been a long time since I was in an expeditionary squadron but while the vast majority of USAF Navs we had were WSOs we did have a handful of RC-135, EC-130 and B-52 types. Those were often the exception to the rule though so I am not surprised someone is telling you that your chances are slim especially if they are transitioning to Growlers soon with a lot less seats for backseaters. I am not sure what the current transition plan is for the expeditionary squadrons is, or even if there is one, someone who is more current ought to know.

As for Marine VMAQ squadrons there weren't any USAF guys there, nto sure that has changed in the meantime. We have a few VMAQ guys that can answer that question.

Drewpey

What do you fly now? It has been a long time since I was in an expeditionary squadron but while the vast majority of USAF Navs we had were WSOs we did have a handful of RC-135, EC-130 and B-52 types. Those were often the exception to the rule though so I am not surprised someone is telling you that your chances are slim especially if they are transitioning to Growlers soon with a lot less seats for backseaters. I am not sure what the current transition plan is for the expeditionary squadrons is, or even if there is one, someone who is more current ought to know.

As for Marine VMAQ squadrons there weren't any USAF guys there, nto sure that has changed in the meantime. We have a few VMAQ guys that can answer that question.

Currently an MC-130H electronic warfare officer. I was told since the transition to Growlers they had shut off the flow of non-WSO types, and it hasn't been reinstated. The same person mentioned that they might be starting up an exchange with the USMC Prowler units, but it didn't sound like it was a thing yet, so I'm not sure.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's your goal? To fly with the Navy/Marines? If so, there's always AF liaison billets at the various centers and weapons schools.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

EXPED squadrons are alive and well (132/135/138) and they are all Growler - even a plan to potentially add 2 more squadrons. They deploy to the CENTCOM and PACOM AORs. All the old EXPED squadrons (133/134/142) were converted back to boat squadrons when the decision was made to make the first few G transition squadrons EXPED so they could get into the "current fight."

Crowbar

None
Currently an MC-130H electronic warfare officer. I was told sinc the transition to Growlers they had shut off the flow of non-WSO types, and it hasn't been reinstated. The same person mentioned that they might be starting up an exchange with the USMC Prowler units, but it didn't sound like it was a thing yet, so I'm not sure.

There is a Marine exchange program but it's Prowlers to EC-130s. The Marine Corps picked a guy last year and he's supposed to move out to DM this summer. No idea what the Air Force has done on their end. If you know anybody out there it may be worth asking. I honestly don't know how much interest there is/would be in coming to Cherry Point. The area's nice and job-wise it's good exposure to something new, but just make sure you talk to some folks there to hear the goods and bads before you jump in head first.

Drewpey

What's your goal? To fly with the Navy/Marines? If so, there's always AF liaison billets at the various centers and weapons schools.

I'd like to get a tour inside the EA world, but still have the option of returning to my current community, and an exchange would allow for that. Many have suggested to look into the EC-130, but that would likely be a one way door. All the guys who I've talked to who've done the EA-6B or EA-18G USN exchange loved the assignment and said it was a great experience, so it's just something that interests me as an EWO.

I might have to look into the liaison thing to see what that entails. I'd like to fly in an EA platform, but that might be a step in the right direction at least. It sounds interesting and I probably meet the requirements. I hadn't thought of that before. Would those be out of NAS Fallon or China Lake? It would seem like they would want someone with some USN experience as well to fill those positions, but that might not be the case I'm guessing.

There is a Marine exchange program but it's Prowlers to EC-130s. The Marine Corps picked a guy last year and he's supposed to move out to DM this summer. No idea what the Air Force has done on their end. If you know anybody out there it may be worth asking. I honestly don't know how much interest there is/would be in coming to Cherry Point. The area's nice and job-wise it's good exposure to something new, but just make sure you talk to some folks there to hear the goods and bads before you jump in head first.

The guy who mentioned the potential USMC EA-6B thing was an EC-130 guy, so that is probably the exchange he was referring to. I'm not sure how the details work on our end, but if it's an unfilled gig, it might be open for another MDS to fill in. To be honest I didn't pursue it much once it was mentioned because I have my reservations about flying with the USMC, and was hoping to get some insight into that world since I'm unfamiliar with it. On one hand I've heard great things about the "get-it-done" attitude of USMC aviation and the aggressive employment of their EA platforms, but at the same time I'm completely unfamiliar with the USMC life and what quality of life changes I would expect for me and the family for the assignment.