• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Exchange Tours?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ok... just to prove I did my homework and used the search button... http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9908&highlight=exchange+tours
This is last year's USMC list:
RAAF CF-18
RAF AV-8B
RAAF AV-8B
RM LYNX
USAF F-15
USAF F-16
CAF CC-130
CAF CF-18(1)
RAF GR-7
RAAF F/A-18
IN AV-8B
SN AV-8B
RN AV-8B
USAF AGOS/JFCC

What does the Navy one look like?
And for kicks... if any knows where an Air Force one is... bring that too.

I'm curious as to who we work with. Also, is any exchange tour open to any kind of pilot (P-3s to F-16s?)? In other words... is it about international relations, or is it about learning a new aircraft to better understand aviation operations, or is it about "Joint" work.

Thanks.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
I heard that they picked a bolivian crop duster to fly an F-22, but they had to scratch that idea because the bolivian government didn't like the idea of their guys flying vfr everywhere.

Scab

pilot
I'm on an exchange tour flying A-10's with the AF. Looked fairly extensively through many options available. You've got most, but a couple of USAF options not on your list:
A-10's (there will be a slot open in three years), F-117's, and B-2's

A-10's require experience in some sort of attack/tactical aircraft (prowler qualified) so that you can go through an accelerated RAG. I'm not sure of the exact requirements for the F-117 and B-2. I do know that F-15's require an Air to Air background.

Another option is the U-2. Not available as an exchange (have to Lat transfer; not something I wanted to do). Also have to appy, and then if accepted go "try out" on three flights. Supposedly very hard to land...but if you've landed on a ship at night in bad weather...

Anyway, hope this helps.

scab

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
I'm curious as to who we work with. Also, is any exchange tour open to any kind of pilot (P-3s to F-16s?)? In other words... is it about international relations, or is it about learning a new aircraft to better understand aviation operations, or is it about "Joint" work.

You aren't gonna switch communites for an exchange tour. You'll go to a unit similar to what you were doing in your original service/country. You may fly a different model of aircraft. Example, I'm flying P-3s for another country and am currently in the syllabus for the Embraer P-111. I've known P-3 NFOs who went to fly on British Nimrods as well. There was a Prowler guy at DLI with me who was moving on to fly German Tornadoes.

They say the reason for these billets is to foster allied relations and promote an exchange of professional knowledge. In many cases, it comes down to the host country being allowed to send one of their guys to the RAG in the states for free if the US has a guy to swap.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Ok... just to prove I did my homework and used the search button... http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9908&highlight=exchange+tours

RAAF CF-18
RAF AV-8B
RAAF AV-8B
RM LYNX
USAF F-15
USAF F-16
CAF CC-130
CAF CF-18(1)
RAF GR-7
RAAF F/A-18
IN AV-8B
SN AV-8B
RN AV-8B
USAF AGOS/JFCC

Thanks.

The RAAF does not have Harriers, only F/A-18's and F-111's. The RAF has Harrier GR-7's and shortly GR-9's. Thay are the same basic airplane as the AV-8B but they don't designate them that. The Royal Navy is switching from the Sea Harrier (roughly like a AV-8A) to the GR-7/9's.

Why point out these little mistakes? Because if those are not accurate than maybe the list as a whole is not accurate, though it appears it might be to a degree.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Why point out these little mistakes? Because if those are not accurate than maybe the list as a whole is not accurate, though it appears it might be to a degree.
Exactly! We have to snuff out bad gouge and those who pass it.

phrogpilot73

eddie said:
RAAF CF-18
RAF AV-8B
RAAF AV-8B
RM LYNX
USAF F-15
USAF F-16
CAF CC-130
CAF CF-18(1)
RAF GR-7
RAAF F/A-18
IN AV-8B
SN AV-8B
RN AV-8B
USAF AGOS/JFCC

Thanks.

In order to get selected for an exchange tour in the USMC, you've got to be at the top of your game. We've had a Brit in our squadron for the last four years (two different guys), so I've learned alot about it and looked into it myself (my timing didn't work).

First, as a Phrog guy - you go to fly H-3's (Sea Kings), as a skid guy - you go to fly Lynx's. You have to be a WTI (because they're going to send their equivalent), and you also have to have your PME completed (resident or non-resident). Submit your package, and see what happens. But it all comes down to timing. I wasn't due for orders until Sept/Oct this year, and the H-3 exchange was a Dec (last year) fill. So I'm here in Iraq.

The purpose is more to learn about each other's tactics, techniques, and procedures and see if it's feasible to incorporate them into your own. Hence the reason why you must be a WTI, and why you work in Ops.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
The purpose is more to learn about each other's tactics, techniques, and procedures and see if it's feasible to incorporate them into your own. Hence the reason why you must be a WTI, and why you work in Ops.

Aaaaaah... that makes sense. Thanks.

Anyone else find any comparable lists for the other services? Sorry for the errors in the USMC one... but I didn't compile it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Physicx said:
Anybody have any experience with language school?
That would be Zab. I'm sure he'll chime in....or you can just PM him.

Physicx

Banned
How difficult is it? I know certain languages are easier but how fluent are you once you leave? How long does it take and how is day to day training.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How difficult is it? Depends on the language. I took spanish, I'm sure Japanese is harder.

Fluency? You leave with the ability to read/speak/listen pretty well. A good foundation prior to full immersion into a foreign area.

Length? Basic course depend on the language. Spanish is 6 months. German is something like 8 months, etc etc.

Day to day...all day from 7:30 to 4:30. Classroom style. Reading, Listening, Speaking drills. Monthly tests preparing you for the final.

Physicx

Banned
How are you likeing your exchange tour, are you glad you did it. Plus knowing spanish is huge. How do you learn it that fast. Is it constantly your language and nothing else? And dose it start pretty basic?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But Zab, how well does that apply to inflight emergency while wearing the smoke mask and trying to understand the FE? eh? :D