• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Exchange Baggers

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Don't let the douche bags up your way ruin your perception of hard working, honest people in other parts of the country....
No way, man ... ooooops, sorry, didn't mean to call you 'man' (I don't like that hippie-talk :)) ... I'm fully aware there's douche-bags in every part of the country and there's good people in every part of the country ... the PNW is no different when considering either case.

Remember -- hard work: I cut my 'teeth' in agriculture at the hands of a no-bullshit little Japanese guy who ran a family farm in the Kent Valley. I even got sunburned & callouses from hard work, while many of my peers were getting 'callouses' from far lesser pursuits ... :eek:

phrogpilot73

Unfortunately, it's symptomatic of supermarkets in general. Gone are the days when you had a legitimate meat counter with a butcher who actually knows his trade. Now it's just prepackaged crap and some retarded who thinks boston butt is actually butt.
True, although that's why I like to go to the farmer's market here in VA Beach - they have an actual butcher doing business there...

Ever wonder why the front shoulder of a pig is a called the Boston Butt? Back in the day, after the butcher carved him up they would store the meat in a cask called a "butt". The primal cut of the front shoulder originated in Boston. Voila! Boston Butt.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
For what it's worth .... some retarded .... thinks boston butt is actually butt.
Yeah -- no joke. When I first heard of him, I actually thought 'Boston Blackie' was a black guy ... I tell you, the times we live in ... !!! :eek:

bostonblackie.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
If you wanna pay a little more for some damn good grass fed beef (or other stuff not normally sold in supermarkets/commissary), .

All set on grass fed, thanks ;) For you guys in the DC area the Bolling AFB Commissary is really nice and the Fort Meade commissary is only a couple years off a major remodel and worth a visit.

Allenbuck.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
All set on grass fed, thanks ;) For you guys in the DC area the Bolling AFB Commissary is really nice and the Fort Meade commissary is only a couple years off a major remodel and worth a visit.

Allenbuck.jpg

Nice :) Looks tasty

H60Gunner

Contributor

Very nice Pugs! Is that a fallow deer? How do they taste?

I'm all about eating all natural fed protien, pretty much do it every year. Even when I buy a beef, it's on the hoof and not pumped full of antibiotics/hormones.

I use Fairchild AFB Commissary and it's decent. Like what has been mentioned before, you CAN beat the 30% if you buy a little at a time when it's on sale. But that is a whole butt load of running around.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
+1 on the Miramar commissary, better than any of the ones I have been to thus far. If you wanna pay a little more for some damn good grass fed beef (or other stuff not normally sold in supermarkets/commissary), I'd check out Home Grown meats in La Jolla.....also very good stuff.

No such thing...the only good beef is grain fed beef...believe it...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Very nice Pugs! Is that a fallow deer? How do they taste?.

It's an Axis deer and they're superb eating. Very different than Whitetail (of which I have two in the freezer as well!) Very spooky and a lot of fun to hunt. There are more roaming free in Central Texas than there are in their native India anymore.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
No such thing...the only good beef is grain fed beef...believe it...

Would agree with the additions of " .... grain fodder and a couple of beers a day " Allowing the animals to get any exercise, implicit in grass fed animals, results in tougher, more stringy beef. Or so I have been told.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but scientifically, grass fed has less fat, making it less "beefier". Most of the beef taste comes from the fat. Hence why well marbled meat => prime. Grain fed has more fat, lending a different taste. Obviously there's varying degrees of quality, and also whatever you had growing up will slant your tastes. Hence why Texas/Plain States beef doesn't do much for me. It's tougher to my tastes. To me at least, a grain fed prime NY Strip from the midwest is on par with a BJ from a supermodel. To each their own though...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My preference to grass fed is taste rather than texture/marbling. I've had some prime grade steaks that just didn't have the flavor to justify their cost; probably dependant on the source like anything, but I digress

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In a past life I was a cattleman. We raised USDA Prime beef, which today accounts for only 2% of all US beef produced. As mentioned, it is the fat "marbling" that determines both its USDA grade, and its superlative taste. Aside from our family's table, all our Midwestern Prime Beef went to Eastern cities' top restaurants. You could not get a steak of our quality in the whole state.

I can still tell what a steer has been fed by its taste and texture. But while grass-fed beef back in the day was laughed at, today some of it is fairly good. I do wonder why. Of course a lot of today's grass-fed beef is finished on cracked-corn. Still, nothing can compare to the steak served in this country's best steakhouses, as we used to raise.

Unfortunately, while Prime beef is the tastiest, it is also less healthy.

We did feed beer to our show cattle. And we exercised them too. The mild exercise increased muscle tone in relation to fat, producing the very best beef.

Random thoughts:
  • MCAS Miramar Commissary has excellent meat at excellent prices. Costco is very good too.
  • Like A4s, I watched "Boston Blackie" as a kid too. Great show.
  • MCAS mini-mart and Murphy Canyon Navy Housing mini-mart differ by 10% on the booze and sodas we purchase.
  • Wild game and buffalo meat is a different ballgame.
  • Before I handled bogies – like A4s pesky adversary scooters – I used to handle 'dogies'. :D

farmboy.jpg

No Bull! :D