• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Exceptions too medical requirments to be a fighter pilot.

manletman

Hey guys i am new here so forgive me if this has been ask or this is in the wrong section, i couldn't find it posted anywhere. Is there ever exceptions made to the medical requirments for being a fighter pilot? I have allergies but i don't know anyone that isn't allergic to something. And i had asthma when i was 17, but its only sports related, i have never felt i other than when i played hockey and never been hospitalized because of it, and i have grew out of it. Would these still hold me back from even having a chance at being a pilot?

Thanks guys.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The asthma and allergies are both an issue, especially the asthma. There are waivers for everything, depending on severity and diagnosis. Before you get to that point you may want to invest in spelling, grammar, and writing instruction.

A weak grasp of the English language, and an inability to communicate in a professional manner, will be a much larger hindrance than your medical issues.

Pickle

manletman

My apologies, this has just been concerning me for sometime and i just threw the message together really quickly.

dafidge9898

Are there waivers for eye conditions? I have an eye condition called kerataconus. The nature of kerataconus is a degenerative one, but it eventually stabilizes. Lucky for me, my right eye (the one with kerataconus) stabilized early on when its vision deteriorated to only 20/25 correctable to 20/20. I have 20/10 vision in my left eye; it does not have the disease. The NROTC website says it's "absolutely disqualifying", probably because of its degenerative nature. They probably don't want a midshipman's vision to deteriorate to below-standards over time, but this philosophy fails to take into account that the disease can stabilize early on, like in my case. I'm only a senior in high school, but I've had my sights set on becoming a military pilot since I was five. I don't wan't my eyes to prevent that from happening. If it's impossible with the Navy, how about with the Air Force?
Additional info: I have a first class medical and have soloed in a 172
Thanks in advance

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are there waivers for eye conditions? I have an eye condition called kerataconus. The nature of kerataconus is a degenerative one, but it eventually stabilizes. Lucky for me, my right eye (the one with kerataconus) stabilized early on when its vision deteriorated to only 20/25 correctable to 20/20. I have 20/10 vision in my left eye; it does not have the disease. The NROTC website says it's "absolutely disqualifying", probably because of its degenerative nature. They probably don't want a midshipman's vision to deteriorate to below-standards over time, but this philosophy fails to take into account that the disease can stabilize early on, like in my case. I'm only a senior in high school, but I've had my sights set on becoming a military pilot since I was five. I don't wan't my eyes to prevent that from happening. If it's impossible with the Navy, how about with the Air Force?
Thanks in advance
The Aeromedical guide is your friend.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Moving this over to the Doc's Corner, where a lot of the answers can be found...

exNavyOffRec

Thanks in advance

I had 2 guys during my OR tour PDQ due to kerataconus, one was a prior enlisted who got out with the goal of finishing his degree and coming back in as an officer.

Edit: didn't see your last post, the prior service guy went to the USAF and was PDQ by them for the same condition.

dafidge9898

I had 2 guys during my OR tour PDQ due to kerataconus, one was a prior enlisted who got out with the goal of finishing his degree and coming back in as an officer.

Edit: didn't see your last post, the prior service guy went to the USAF and was PDQ by them for the same condition.
Did they try and fight it?