• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

exactly what to expect for Spatial Apperception

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabelewis

I just took the ASTB. Here's exactly what to expect. The water is dark with white horizontal lines running through it and the land is rocky and textured with a definate ledge (it looks like you took the point of your pencil and made a bunch of little dots on the land.... stippled or pointalism for you artist). The ledge is a little wavy. The plane looks like a detailed T-34??? with paint markings and everything. As for the attitudes, things are way more complicated than the ARCO. First off, some of these forums lead me to believe there was inverted flight so I studyed it. There is no inverted flight. There is however quite a few flying into the land examples. The Arco is all out to sea. You will also see extreme banks, dives, and climbs. Sometimes they will give two planes that are banked right and climbing with one plane banked slightly more than the other. Depending on the degree of bank in the horizon you have to pick between two seemingly right answers. The biggest difference I saw was the amount of 45 degree into shore examples. The Arco just gives you level flight no bank examples of the 45 deg. The test will give you 45 degree into shore steep climb banked left etc. Definately make your own flash cards for these. There were a bunch of them. Here are a few quick tips. If you planes nose is left and you see the top of the plane you are banked left. If nose left and you see belly, banked right. Nose right and top of plane, banked right. Nose right and belly, banked left. Flying along shore and you see tail, the bank is the direction that the tail points. Flying along shore and you see nose the bank is in the opposite direction (these are tricky watch out for them). If anyone has any more spacial questions fire away.

chelu55

I understand what you are saying except for flying along shore reguading the nose and tail. i am having a hard time trying to visualize what you said. when flying along shore and one see's a tail, is that the only part of an airplane they see? likewise for the nose example. I was just wondering if you could please explain more.

I am taking the ASTB in two days and trying to get as much information as possible.

gabelewis

you see the whole plane but in the first example (see the tail) the tail is what faces you. you are looking at the back of the plane which is flying away from you and the tail or vertical stabilzer will point in the direction of the bank. in the second (see the nose) the plane is flying toward you so the nose is what faces you. in this example you probably will see a small portion of the vertical stabilzer (if you cant just imagine where it points) and the bank is in the opposite direction. hope this clears it up.

Undertow

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0768910293/qid=1056920729/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-8421934-8466305

There's the study guide I picked up and you can find in the library. It's an excellent book and should help allot if you study it.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Study with the guide, but remeber that the ASTB is just a little different.

Dave

DairyCreamer

Well, happy to hear some detailed news about the real deal.

Aside from the spatial apperception, what else do you remember? Any particular questions, or fancy aviation/nautical information that was highly unfamiliar or difficult?

I'd appreciate whatever you could provide, since I take the test myself on Tuesday morning. God I hope my brain is in gear! Thanks!

~Nate

PS - You can e-mail me or PM me too, thanks!

gabelewis

You do have to know how to figure newtons in the mechanical sec. something about pulling x newtons up and x newtons right. what's the total. also know which is not a us ship, constitution, bonhomme richard, victory, constellation. know how a cabin is compressed compared to sea level. aside from that just memorize the study guide. The math was just like the Marine study guide in some shape or form. you may have to be a little creative in your thinking to relate some of the problems but they are all there, so know the fine inner workings of each problem. I'm pretty sure I'm getting straight 9's but i won't find out until Wednesday. If I think of anything else I will let you know. You might make flash cards of the whole study guide. the quicker you work the more time you have to go back and check your answers. The verbal is easy-peasy, just reason it out.

DairyCreamer

I really appreciate the hints... man, the section that pisses me off are the questions that are like "which word would you replace to make this more right." They aren't necessarily hard, but I have to read them a couple times to get it right, takes a lot of time for me, doh.

HMS Victory is not a US ship as I recall :)

Man oh man, I hope the test goes well... I made a lot of stupid little mistakes when taking the ARCO one last night. Granted, it was late, and I was kinda tired, but it cost me points. My test will be at 9 AM sharp, so, I should be well awake.

If you have any other hints at all, I really would love them :) I shouldn't be so anxious over an exam that I can retake if I flub up, but I feel the urgent need to rock its world :)

Thanks again!!!

~Nate

DairyCreamer

I suppose that's nice to hear, yes :) Anything else? I know I'm being greedy, but I'd love to have some seriously current gouge on this action before I take it :) Private message me!

~Nate

chelu55

Originally posted by gabelewis
You do have to know how to figure newtons in the mechanical sec. something about pulling x newtons up and x newtons right. what's the total. also know which is not a us ship, constitution, bonhomme richard, victory, constellation. know how a cabin is compressed compared to sea level. aside from that just memorize the study guide. The math was just like the Marine study guide in some shape or form. you may have to be a little creative in your thinking to relate some of the problems but they are all there, so know the fine inner workings of each problem. I'm pretty sure I'm getting straight 9's but i won't find out until Wednesday. If I think of anything else I will let you know. You might make flash cards of the whole study guide. the quicker you work the more time you have to go back and check your answers. The verbal is easy-peasy, just reason it out.

How does one calculate force (Newtons)in two directions without using cos and sin? Or do you have to?

DairyCreamer

Well, theoretically, they could apply a force of 5 newtons on a 30 degree angle up from horizontal. In that case, you could break down the directional force into horizontal and vertical components using vectors to form a 30/60/90 triangle (which has sides of 3, 4, and 5).

So, 5 Newtons at 30 degrees would be 3 up and 4 right.

Or is my logic totally wrong?
yuck_125.gif

~Nate

gabelewis

the newton logic is correct. there is no sine or cosine into the figuring of that problem. you do have to know sine cosine and tangent for the math. (sohcahtoa).

gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.