• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ex-Navy pilot treads water for 20 hours before rescue

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
fbf1c67404a3365351aae08da00a09b9.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, I am not a boater but is it normal to be out in the open water all alone?

BigRed389

None
Okay, I am not a boater but is it normal to be out in the open water all alone?

Normal level of risk people or even military ops, no.

But I've seen, on more than one occasion, a sailboat in the middle of the goddamn Atlantic, all by its lonesome by 100+ nm, and away from regular shipping lanes.

VMO4

This has been big news here locally when they fished him out of the water. Local news kept referring to him as an "Ex-Navy flier". I grew up on the Florida Gulf Coast and routinely fished alone and I know many others, who fish alone up to 20-30 miles offshore. I always wear an inflatable PFD, and use the kill switch, and a SPOT and/or EPIRB when solo.

Being alone is not always the problem. Also locally, on Sunday two guys were bring a sailboat down the coast, I think about 12 miles off. One went below for a second, came back up and the other was gone. He anchored, looked for an hour, then called the Coasties. On Monday Colin blew through, the Coasties called off the search, although many are still privately searching.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been big news here locally when they fished him out of the water. Local news kept referring to him as an "Ex-Navy flier". I grew up on the Florida Gulf Coast and routinely fished alone and I know many others, who fish alone up to 20-30 miles offshore. I always wear an inflatable PFD, and use the kill switch, and a SPOT and/or EPIRB when solo...

Thanks, that answers the questions I have had about this. Two aboves for his drown proofing, two belows on prep and execution.