• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ever seen this before?

usnabill

pilot
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting, but I've been reading for a few months now. So has anyone ever seen these indications in the T-34? PCL and Condition lever full increase reads normal on ground during the run-up. Doing touch and go's, the power acts just slightly "twitchy" when adding or subtracting power w/ PCL, but still behaves enough for me not to worry. During my climb to working area, I'm unable to add more than 900 ft-lb above 5k feet. In fact, the higher I go, the less power I have available. It kind of makes sense because you normally have to continuously add power in a climb, but with the PCL and condiiton lever jammed foward (and friction lock knob released at this point), the higher I climb the more power I lose. I checked for roll-back, but N1 was around 96% and all other engine instruments read normal- so no go on the roll-back. I ended up doing a PEL back to NAS, without any further complications. The maintenance guys obviously couldn't reproduce this on the ground (my initial ground run-up was fine). Any insight? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: E5B

KBayDog

900#? Maybe at 20K, but not 5K. Torque *thingy* problem, perhaps?

Or maybe it was one of these guys:

gremlins.jpg

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Oh, that was you today... The OpsO seemed pretty happy with your PEL. One of the IPs thought it just might have been a torque sensing failure.

usnabill

pilot
Thanks Zippy... I suppose it could have been a torque sensing failure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess that means a properly functioning torque limiter will prevent you from applying more than 1315 ft-lb, and the torque limiter in the aircraft I flew today was somehow being triggered at the wrong torque level? If that's the case, since the torque limiter is located in the reduction gear box, could that perhaps have been a warning sign for a pending chip light? The way I understand it from NATOPS, torquemeter malfunctions will tend to show up after a chip light comes on. Looking at the RGB the problem could have originated from either the torque transmitter or the torque limiter. If they both are impacted by oil pressure, does it make sense that malfunctioning torque limiters and torque transmitters both will show up on the torquemeter guage? Wouldn't they also impact the oil pressure guage? Maybe I'm getting too much in the weeds here... but this kind of interesting to me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not a T-34 systems god (yet), but if this was a T700, I'd tell you to changed the white or green harness...

Do you remember what ITT was? More specifically, was it hot, like at max Tq, or was it about what it would be for only 900#? If it was hot, then probably a Tq transmitter. If it was at a 900# level, then might have been the limiter. Not sure about the PT6 limiter specifically, but a lot of those wigets have adjustments to them, so it's possible it was just adjusted the wrong way, ie down. They can do that w/ Ng...er...N1 as the weather changes.

Dennis

C-17 Co
A torque limiter problem wouldn't necessarily mean a pending chip light or other oil problem. As gatordev stated, its adjustable. Maybe it became re-adjusted in flight somehow (see KBayDog's post). That also might explain the "twitchy" feeling you had with the power, as the torque limiter limits torque by bleeding Py air. It sounds like everything else was right. What was your level airspeed with max PCL? That'd pretty much answer if it were a torque sensing problem or not (if your airspeed was more than, oh, 200 KIAS or so you were flying 1315# and you had bum inidications).

beau

after reading this thread.......its amazing how fast you forget some stuff once your out of primary...then its amazing that some things you never forget!....