• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too bad. I think a CIWS on a trailer is a goddamned good idea for Ukraine. Beats engaging Shithead drones with Patriot missiles at ~$4M each.

C-RAM is great, but it is a point defense weapon with very short range. It is a great defense for a force in a small number of bases like we had/have in Iraq and Afghanistan but for a much larger area with many more targets that Ukraine has to defend against it is less effective. One of the advantages of the Gepard is its mobility while the C-RAM is a lot less so. The FrankenSAM thing is a much better solution given its longer reach and ready availability of missiles.

For example, we worked with them to convert old Osa/Buk systems to fire AIM-9 and AIM-7. Just like I'm good using old TOW rockets to pop the tops of T-72s

SA-8 and SA-11 systems, for the love of God. I don't care if the Russians designated it the 42Zh69WTFBBQ, NATO's system doesn't make my brain hurt.

For the Buk you mean the SA-11, SA-17, SA-27 and SA-N-12 along with the HQ-16, HHQ-16 and LY-80? The last three are Chinese designations but I can't easily find the NATO names.

Aren't missile designations fun?!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Good thing to wonder. I’m no expert by any means, but I imagine it’s a balancing act between us helping UKR and using up old ammo stocks while managing enough remaining inventory in case “oh shit” happens.

The low IR heat signature of Shitheads might limit the utility of the old AIM-9s against the drone threat. Depends on what generation the missiles are. Could maybe be better used against Russian fighter/attack aircraft- some of which they were made to bring down.

Weapon/target pairing is definitely being stretched to the limit over there.

I was thinking as a counter cruise missile thing. I'm sure the launch parameters/locations for ALCMs are somewhat known, so maybe this helps screen them earlier? ??‍♂️

Just idle speculation regardless, I'm sure actual 20lb brains like @Flash are helping create a coherent strategy and implementation ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It pays to be nerd when it comes to stuff that can kill you.
I was a nerd back when they could kill me. If either of us is having to do SA-11/SA-17 ambiguity analysis in 2023, something has gone horribly wrong.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was thinking as a counter cruise missile thing. I'm sure the launch parameters/locations for ALCMs are somewhat known, so maybe this helps screen them earlier? ??‍♂️

Just idle speculation regardless, I'm sure actual 20lb brains like @Flash are helping create a coherent strategy and implementation ?

An enormous amount of time, effort and resources is put against trying to counter missiles with plenty of big brain folks involved.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That’s either public information or it isn’t. Nobody here is going to give you non-public information.
While it may be of questionable accuracy, Boston area news mentions the Houthis in Yemen. As noted, may be speculation.