• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Mirage

pilot
The Vietnamese case study illustrates that were were forbidden by political leadership to take the fight to the Viet Cong in their safe havens in Laos, Cambodia, and China. And that made the war unwinnable for us because we couldn't strike their COG. The end result was the status quo, minus tens of thousands of people killed.
That is one additional thing that case study illustrates. The end result was far from the "status quo", though... it was an outright win for the North Vietnamese because they had destroyed our CoG (our will to continue fighting). They didn't attack our will to continue fighting by invading our will to fight somehow, did they? Did they blow our will to fight up with explosives somehow? Or did they send a regiment to burn the white house down that I never heard about?

Regardless, we're off topic.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Geez, didn't realize JPME was such a bastion of deep military thought; guess I'll have to enroll so I can participate in internet pissing contests too.
Just read the syllabus. It tells you what to think. If you agree and can sprinkle some random quotes in from the reading to support your thesis, you get an A. If you don't agree, you get a B. If you blow off every single assignment you get a C but still get a master's degree.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank my buddy in high school who showed me pinkmonkey.com back in the 1990s, which opened my eyes up to the easy mode of getting an A in any English or History class - just regurgitate someone else's opinions (with citations, of course).

Last edited:

Mirage

pilot
Just read the syllabus. It tells you what to think. If you agree and can sprinkle some random quotes in from the reading to support your thesis, you get an A. If you don't agree, you get a B. If you blow off every single assignment you get a C but still get a master's degree.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank my buddy in high school who showed me pinkmonkey.com back in the 1990s, which opened my eyes up to the easy mode of getting an A in any English or History class - just regurgitate someone else's opinions (with citations, of course).
You do not get a master's degree just for completing JPME. Stop pedaling info if you don't know what you're talking about.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Aren't there a combined JPME and MA programs at the various war colleges?
Newport, Monterey, National, and Eisenhower (a few others as well) get you JPME II along with a Masters. Obviously, some flavor of JPME I is required before attending . . .

Edit: can't say enough good about Eisenhower. MS in National Resource Strategy, a bit different than what Newport, Monterey and National give you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You do not get a master's degree just for completing JPME. Stop pedaling info if you don't know what you're talking about.
Sorry I struck a nerve. Yes, you also need to take some faux graduate classes that are in line with history, English, or finance 101 courses to get a degree in something that no one has heard of.

But that doesn't change the fact that a path to an A in JPME is to suspend the belief that you have any semblance of independent thought. JPME should really be called JPMT.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry I struck a nerve. Yes, you also need to take some faux graduate classes that are in line with history, English, or finance 101 courses to get a degree in something that no one has heard of.
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you "struck a nerve." Stop being an asshole.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you "struck a nerve." Stop being an asshole.
Not sure what you want me to say. The Navy doesn't value education. About 80% of my cohort at NPS were Navy pilots who were read detailed and aren't around anymore because the assignment doomed them to 2x FOS. I even went to work one day and saw over 100 O-3s given a pink slip via 10 day letter.

If you want a cheap master's degree and can stretch a few sentences in a syllabus to a term paper then you can get one with the Navy with straight As to boot. You can disagree all you want, it is what it is.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your experiences are your experiences. They don't necessarily extrapolate to The Way Things Are. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

You're not being called out as to the relevance of a DoN MS in the private sector. You're being called out as conflating JPME I, and your arguably excessively cynical take on it, with the masters degree that it isn't. Not to mention the fact that calling out alleged academic shortcomings the way you're doing basically reeks of "I'm smarter than you" arrogance.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Your experiences are your experiences. They don't necessarily extrapolate to The Way Things Are. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data.
Every community posts numbers on the detailer page and also the TYCOM N1s produce monthly reports.

If you have some interpretation of that data that disagrees with my assessment of it then I'd welcome to hear it.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Every community posts numbers on the detailer page and also the TYCOM N1s produce monthly reports.

If you have some interpretation of that data that disagrees with my assessment of it then I'd welcome to hear it.
I agree with your point that the USN does not place sufficient value on higher education, but I also agree with others that you’re being pretty cynical about it.

I do want to hear more about the “100 pink slips” for O-3s though. I’ve never heard of anyone being let go from the Navy in that fashion.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Newport, Monterey, National, and Eisenhower (a few others as well) get you JPME II along with a Masters. Obviously, some flavor of JPME I is required before attending . . .

Edit: can't say enough good about Eisenhower. MS in National Resource Strategy, a bit different than what Newport, Monterey and National give you.
Yes, but also no.

Both the junior (O-3/O-4) and senior (O-5+) classes at the Naval War College graduate with an MA in Defense and Strategic Studies, but us youngins get JPME I credit while the senior class gets JPME II credit.