• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

taxi1

pilot
First off, there's an if there.
Let's be real here.

She's been playing hoops in Russia for a whole bunch of years. She's a rock star there (or was) and was making over $1M/year. Crazy money, crazy popular. She's been playing there since 2015, and helped her Russian team win 4 European championships. She was a bigger star there than here.

She's probably been bringing her THC with her the whole time. They probably knew. Russia tends to be OK with drugs to enhance performance, after all. I am sure they've searched every room she has stayed in, all her stuff, cracked her phone, etc. This is being realistic.

Was there pressure from the US side because she is who she is? Oh yes. Did her fame weigh in on Russia's approach? Of f***ing course it did. You'd have to be naive to the tenth degree to think it didn't. That makes it wrongful detention, when Russia brings politics to bear.

Don't get me wrong, she was dumb as dirt to bring that stuff in. Dumbity dumb dumb. Frankly, visiting Russia these days, or even before Ukraine, is dumb. You are trusting those that shall not be trusted. I wouldn't go there without a US Gov passport.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
So... she was dumb, and Russia took advantage of the situation, then took further advantage of the current state of identity politics?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Assuming the attached report is accurate, https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-...mbers-putin-russia-war-losses-ukraine-2022-12, it makes me wonder how long the Russian people will tolerate losses that average out to 10,000 personnel a month. From other reports it looks like the T-72 and T-80 tank models are simply dogs and I wonder what conclusions the US army is finding when they look at Russian helicopter losses. This really isn’t what anyone expected.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Assuming the attached report is accurate, https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-...mbers-putin-russia-war-losses-ukraine-2022-12, it makes me wonder how long the Russian people will tolerate losses that average out to 10,000 personnel a month. From other reports it looks like the T-72 and T-80 tank models are simply dogs and I wonder what conclusions the US army is finding when they look at Russian helicopter losses. This really isn’t what anyone expected.
How well does Russia do in the first year of any war?

number9

Contributor
Do the Russian people know what the losses are, though? I can't imagine RT and other organizations are exactly tripping over themselves to report what the real losses are...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s basically the equivalent of five-plus full divisions’ worth of casualties. Imagine the reaction if we went to war in the Pacific and then 25th ID, the 11th Airborne, 1st MarDiv, and the 82nd Airborne all ceased to exist.

Mos

None
The PS said: "She is an important role model and inspiration to millions of Americans, particularly the LGBTQI+ Americans and women of color. She should never have been detained by Russia".

Aside from acting like her race, gender, and sexual orientation matters in this case for some reason (I can't imagine why), PS stated that Griner should never have been detained. Griner admitted to breaking Russian law (and a law in many US states for that matter). How is it true that she should never have been detained? Should authorities not detain people for breaking legitimate laws?

The only thing unique about Griners detention is that we aren't on good terms with the country who did it. If they gave her the maximum sentence because of it, then they did it to secure the release of someone more important to them. If so, we gave them exactly what they wanted. Regardless, nothing about her detention was objectively unjust. I bet there are Russians serving just as much time for the same offense, and I guarantee you there are Americans in prisons around the world for sillier things than this that our overlords don't give 2 shits about because they arent publicized and aren't Olympians or "LGBTQI+ Americans and women of color".
I'm not seeing where the PS says she was innocent or unjustly convicted in her statement (which you've mostly taken out of context). Your lizard brain reaction is overblown. There's plenty to hate about this trade without reading into the WH's statements things that aren't there.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Dog-piling on this link, here's a continuously updated list of verified Russian hardware losses in Ukraine:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
That’s basically the equivalent of five-plus full divisions’ worth of casualties. Imagine the reaction if we went to war in the Pacific and then 25th ID, the 11th Airborne, 1st MarDiv, and the 82nd Airborne all ceased to exist.
Another way to look at it…Russian losses noted are twice the number of U.S. personnel killed in combat in WWI.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
My previous post was meant to be historical, not humorous. As the initial Russian lightning strategy didn’t work and logistical plans proved unworkable, they are mobilizing for traditional Russian attrition warfare. Year 2 could be substantially different.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
My previous post was meant to be historical, not humorous. As the initial Russian lightning strategy didn’t work and logistical plans proved unworkable, they are mobilizing for traditional Russian attrition warfare. Year 2 could be substantially different.
Perhaps, but the Soviets were entirely propped up by the allied industrial base…Putin has Iran.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Perhaps, but the Soviets were entirely propped up by the allied industrial base…Putin has Iran.
Wasn’t thinking of Russia’s industrial base but rather their decades of weapons stockpiles. Perhaps it is a question of whose supply runs out first in what is turning out to be old fashioned industrial warfare.

Interesting observation from General (Retired) Mick Ryan of the Australian Army.

“I think the day of crewed attack helicopters, and towed artillery, are coming to an end for reasons due to signatures and the closing of the ‘detection to destruction’ period,”