• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Rather something chemical or biological.

Something tells me we won't develop a chem/bio WMD specifically to counter Russian aggression. I could be wrong though- our leaders do dumb shit all the time.

And next kremlin occupant will be more crazy and unstable. That is why sooner or later there will be war defeat, since this breed is unable to adjust to modern world.

Agreed. Every time Lavrov opens his fat mouth and refers us as "Anglo-saxon", I hope someone will respond, referring to the Russians as "Slavs" or "Mongols", since those are equally irrelevant historic cultural groups.

The middle ages are over, I guess Lavrov didn't get the memo.
;)

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Every time Lavrov opens his fat moutn and refers us as "Anglo-saxon", I keep waiting for someone to refer to the Russians as "Slavs" or "Mongols"
Even relatively well educated russians hardly understand what this moron meant firstly mumbling "anglo-saxon": the only war in which Brits were the russian enemies was Crimean War, and then the French were on British side. It is extremely doubtful that any typical russian knows the difference between those two Danish tribes who eventually moved to an Albion. It takes to give the name to russians' nowadays enemy, call it somehow, but it is fearful for kremlin propaganda to scream "Beat Americans", or "Beat Brits", or even "Beat Poles" since it is equal to "Beat NATO", and it is risky. So they use this "Anglo-Saxon" term which means nothing but sounds scaring. By the way, if you want to insult any dumb russian (honesty at least a half of population), you should use "Mongol" or even better, "Horde". There will be grinding the teeth, for sure

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Even relatively well educated russians hardly understand what this moron meant firstly mumbling "anglo-saxon": the only war in which Brits were the russian enemies was Crimean War, and then the French were on British side. It is extremely doubtful that any typical russian knows the difference between those two Danish tribes who eventually moved to an Albion. It takes to give the name to russians' nowadays enemy, call it somehow, but it is fearful for kremlin propaganda to scream "Beat Americans", or "Beat Brits", or even "Beat Poles" since it is equal to "Beat NATO", and it is risky. So they use this "Anglo-Saxon" term which means nothing but sounds scaring. By the way, if you want to insult any dumb russian (honesty at least a half of population), you should use "Mongol" or even better, "Horde". There will be grinding the teeth, for sure

Thanks. I had a general sense that the average Russian would find "Slav" or "Mongol" (or both) at least mildly offensive, but I wasn't sure to what extent.

Appreciate the explanation behind "Anglo Saxon". To my ear, it just sounds stupid, but so does most of what Lavrov says. I thought maybe it was just one of those cultural things we don't pay attention to until forced to, kind of like how we all discovered we were actually "infidels" back in 2001.

I do find the latter one offensive.

Max the Mad Russian

"Slav" is relatively indifferent since there isn't direct connection between this word and slavery as such in Russian language, but Oriental words like "mongol", "tatar", "orda" are unconsciously offensive due to the fact that Genghis Khan descents had actually defeated true Rurik breed first in XIII century and then served as a basis for Moscow state three centuries later.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
"Slav" is relatively indifferent since there isn't direct connection between this word and slavery as such in Russian language, but Oriental words like "mongol", "tatar", "orda" are unconsciously offensive due to the fact that Genghis Khan descents had actually defeated true Rurik breed first in XIII century and then served as a basis for Moscow state three centuries later.
I kind of like the word “Orc” used by the Ukrainians to describe the Russians. Funny, insulting, and mildly fitting.

As for an end game, I’ve been trying to develop different scenarios and it is confusing. I agree with those who offer a Korea-like ending but where will the borders be drawn? Most of the global population that is free (meaning a realistic right to vote) will not settle with Russia’s comical claim to large portions of the Ukrainian and their leadership (and ours) knows it. Historically despotic leaders who are having a tough war like this start another to distract from the first. The easy target…Latvia, and the Poles (or Latvians) are going to tolerate that. Tactical nukes are a gamble for Russia but I think a number of Russian military officers might just say “nope” to a Kremlin launch order. I like the idea of replacing Putin, but not if the next guy is just another left over thug from the old KGB days.

Looking at my crystal ball I think a likely path is civil war (a real, genuine, geographic/political conflict) within Russia.

Max the Mad Russian

Looking at my crystal ball I think a likely path is civil war (a real, genuine, geographic/political conflict) within Russia.
It is already here for namely 100 years. This kind of civil war build on ethnic diversity seems to be endless, unlike American one with more or less economical reasons or Spanish one revolved around religious beliefs of human rights and duty (just like a chain of civil wars in South America). Kinda curse of empires where metropolis are not divided from colonies by the sea: ethnicities may be frozen by powerful central authority for awhile but never frozen to death, and when emperor becomes too far from real sense of currents, this civil war comes to life again and again. The only way to make it all relatively steady is to transfer such situation into religious kind of civil war, bloody but relatively short, but it takes a corps of true believers which is clearly not the case in russia since Ivan IV the Angry, and the way out is all that remains: out of empire and simultaneously out of humanity, out of civilization, out of order, back into mediaeval times. Seems to be over-pathetical, but look at Caucasian social tides and imagine how deep are the cracks in the fundament of empire that lost its identity and integrity and even worse: had never had them actually.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is anyone unclear about what Putin's red lines are? They've been pretty explicit about that.

It seems as if people are getting pretty wrapped around the axle about what might constitute a "threat to the very existence of the state" in USSR Vlad's little brain. Is it now a hostile act committed by Ukraine using western hardware in annexed territory? Is it a russian defeat in Crimea? Is it social unrest in Moscow that threatens the leadership, due to losses in Ukraine? While I don't personally think that his calculus has changed enough to include such niche factors, I can see how there is some ambiguity with that whole phrase, given the current situation. But that is also dependent on believing some really optimistic western projections.....such as the idea that there might be a domestic uprising, or that this will result in something more than a stalemate.