• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
I think we found out the hard way a few years ago, twice.
Well, I think those Filipinos that drove those container feeder and tanker respectively, with all probability, are worse shipdrivers than USN SWOs. It is doubtless that COLREGs is a law but professional responsibility is always on both sides. Kinda "think both for yourself and for this idiot driving truck on a lane ahead"

Random8145

Somewhat related ,but all this about how dictatorships create such poor militaries would explain why in Star Wars, the Empire has such comically inept soldiers and ship commanders:)

taxi1

pilot
Somewhat related ,but all this about how dictatorships create such poor militaries would explain why in Star Wars, the Empire has such comically inept soldiers and ship commanders:)
We watched the MST3K version of Space Mutiny last night, where they riffed on the platoon leader before battle, “Everyone set your phasars to ‘miss’”

Last edited:
Yeah, I think we were all leaning that way, although I did think there was a small chance it was self-inflicted. Glad to see these photos getting out and anxious to hear what BS Russia says in response.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Back in "the day"...1989. "Slava", before being renamed "Moskva". They say renaming a ship is bad luck.

View attachment 34911

If you look really really closely at the guys in white uniforms, you might see me on the flight deck of TS Gates.

Attachments

• TSGates.jpg
    TSGates.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Back in "the day"...1989. "Slava", before being renamed "Moskva". They say renaming a ship is bad luck.View attachment 34911
If you look really really closely at the guys in white uniforms, you might see me on the flight deck of TS Gates.View attachment 34911
Interesting…the Russel (DDG-59) is named after two guys as well AND is the sole survivor of three ships in this photo. Maybe it is good luck to name a ship one time but after multiple people?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Interesting…the Russel (DDG-59) is named after two guys as well AND is the sole survivor of three ships in this photo. Maybe it is good luck to name a ship one time but after multiple people?
Of the three, the demise of each was as follows: USS Kauffman (FFG-59) 1986 - 2015 is in the Philly shipyards (I think), Thomas S Gates (CG-51) 1985 - 2005 was scrapped in 2014, and Slava (1979 - 2022) was recently converted to a reef in the Black Sea. So actually, none of the ships are around anymore.

USS Russell (DDG-59) is still around.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Of the three, the demise of each was as follows: USS Kauffman (FFG-59) 1986 - 2015 is in the Philly shipyards (I think), Thomas S Gates (CG-51) 1985 - 2005 was scrapped in 2014, and Slava (1979 - 2022) was recently converted to a reef in the Black Sea. So actually, none of the ships are around anymore.

USS Russell (DDG-59) is still around.
My mistake, I thought the FFG was a DDG.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
They say renaming a ship is bad luck
Politics. Then Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov's wife had major construction and building holding and the couple built several towerblocks in Sebastopol for Black Sea Fleet officer families, starting from 2004. Then the Fleet top brass, grateful for that, renamed the cruiser. Late Luzhkov often said "money usually solves everything, and even if not, there always is more money"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Russian MG Minnekaev has made comments pointing towards a move into Moldova's Transnistria region. And lets not forget, there is unfinished business in Georgia. Guessing the Baltics are safe for now. And it is now fairly clear Finland could defeat what we have seen of the Russian military. The supposed big league Russians have not defeated AA Ukraine. If they want a game, they will "play down" to a minor league A team in Moldova.

For all the talk about Putin's health, one would expect he just might die from abject embarrassment.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if there are any confirmed “aces” on either side with five or more air-to-air kills in this war? I think it is interesting that we have gone 23 years or so since a U.S. pilot has a kill but now there is a possibility of multiple “aces,” or have most/all of the damage been done by surface fire?