• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting perspective. The vast majority of allied Navies refer to STOVL variant ships as aircraft carriers. We obviously make a distinction. Do you think AICs are going to be controlling the next fight at the distances required in the Pacific? What is your opinion on what makes a maritime strike capability?

At the distances the air wing will fight? Certainly. Without organic AEW any flavor of carrier with fixed-wing aircraft is going to be at a serious disadvantage in a conflict.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
At the distances the air wing will fight? Certainly. Without organic AEW any flavor of carrier with fixed-wing aircraft is going to be at a serious disadvantage in a conflict.
I think this image adequately communicates the limitations of the STOVL variant. TL : DR The Bravo goes shorter with less stuff compared to the Alpha and Charlie. This is true in Europe too (to bring us back to topic). f-35-variants-does-b-stand-for-budget-is-it-simply-a-lower-v0-vknw6uq7w0w91.jpg

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Last edited:

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
The Brits do have organic AEW now in their carrier air complement. It’s the AW101/Merlin HC-4 with Crowsnest. And the French have flown the E-2C Hawkeye on their CVN (the CDG) since 1998 or so.

Russia ostensibly has maritime AEW capability in the Ka-31 Helix, but who knows how degraded that capability is today, or whether they actually use it for C2 or merely a big dumb flying radar.
I haven't seen an EM diagram between an HC-4 and an E-2C/D but I'd gather the E-2 has it beat in altitude(important for radar horizon) and range (important for...everything blue water). E-2 also has one more controller in the back. Again, I know it sounds a lot like nit picking but all these limitations add up or require significant other resource investments to mitigate.

French carrier is CATOBAR (and soon EMALS) which has none of the issues that STOVL-only carriers have. We haven't even touched on organic tanking yet.

Edit: Remove Russia completely from the conversation on principle. You can add them back in when we start talking about Botswna's organic maritime power projection capabilities.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kaga was an interesting choice of name. If the next one is Akagi.............time to beef up the air defenses at Pearl.
It’s a name of a former province, like the other three operational JMSDF “helicopter destroyers.”

Interestingly, the predecessors of all four were sunk by American carrier aircraft during WWII.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I haven't seen an EM diagram between an HC-4 and an E-2C/D but I'd gather the E-2 has it beat in altitude(important for radar horizon) and range (important for...everything blue water). E-2 also has one more controller in the back. Again, I know it sounds a lot like nit picking but all these limitations add up or require significant other resource investments to mitigate.

French carrier is CATOBAR (and soon EMALS) which has none of the issues that STOVL-only carriers have. We haven't even touched on organic tanking yet.

Edit: Remove Russia completely from the conversation on principle. You can add them back in when we start talking about Botswna's organic maritime power projection capabilities.
Concur with all. Rotary wing AEW < fixed wing AEWC/AWACS.

Also, Russia is for sure out of the conversation, but still tracking the Ka-31 as it’s been exported to some other navies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think this image adequately communicates the limitations of the STOVL variant. TL : DR The Bravo goes shorter with less stuff compared to the Alpha and Charlie. This is true in Europe too (to bring us back to topic). View attachment 40432

Even with the shorter legs to have a viable carrier air wing with an independent blue water capability, organic AEW is pretty much a 'must have'.

The Brits do have organic AEW now in their carrier air complement. It’s the AW101/Merlin HC-4 with Crowsnest.

The RN has had organic AEW capability since the summer of 1982, when they bolted Searchwater radars on Sea Kings in the wake of the Falklands War. The Searchwater was originally a surface search radar used on Nimrods and modified to be an AEW radar, I'm pretty sure the Crowsnest radar is just an updated version of Searchwater and has had issues.

Also, Russia is for sure out of the conversation, but still tracking the Ka-31 as it’s been exported to some other navies.

India and China both have carrier-capable helicopter-borne AEW capability, just how operational they are I don't know.

PLANAF_Changhe_Z-18J_AEW.png

Last edited: