• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Random8145

So why or how was this guy so stupid? Did he really think he could post all this stuff in a chat room and it wouldn't get out? I could understand if he was pulling a John Walker and silently taking all of these documents and handing them to a foreign handler, but a chat room!?

taxi1

pilot
So why or how was this guy so stupid? Did he really think he could post all this stuff in a chat room and it wouldn't get out? I could understand if he was pulling a John Walker and silently taking all of these documents and handing them to a foreign handler, but a chat room!?
You wonder about the ones pulling a John Walker.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

You "could understand that" how, exactly? I hope you're not saying that spying for a foreign power is OK with you.

This was a guy seeking companionship and "hero worship" style attention online, pure and simple. He was "in the know", and wanted others to know he knew. So he shared it with his private Discord club. Psychologically pretty easy to understand, and people rationalize doing stupid things for attention every day. Not everyone is in it for compensation. Many caught spies have admitted it was ideology first.

taxi1

pilot
You "could understand that" how, exactly? I hope you're not saying that spying for a foreign power is OK with you.
I'm guessing that understanding does not equal agreeing.

You'd be wise to assume someone in the enterprise is doing it on the down-low to some foreign power, frankly. Too much crooked timber of humanity in our system.

Random8145

This was a guy seeking companionship and "hero worship" style attention online, pure and simple. He was "in the know", and wanted others to know he knew. So he shared it with his private Discord club. Psychologically pretty easy to understand, and people rationalize doing stupid things for attention every day. Not everyone is in it for compensation. Many caught spies have admitted it was ideology first.
I thought my statement was easy to understand. When I said, "I could understand that..." of course I didn't mean spying is okay, I was talking about his intelligence. It's like the guy who robbed a bank, used the money to buy a house, then posted about it on social media and got himself busted. I could similarly "understand" robbing a bank and then basically disappearing, but who does such a thing and then brags about it to the public? Similar with this guy.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I thought my statement was easy to understand. When I said, "I could understand that..." of course I didn't mean spying is okay, I was talking about his intelligence. It's like the guy who robbed a bank, used the money to buy a house, then posted about it on social media and got himself busted. I could similarly "understand" robbing a bank and then basically disappearing, but who does such a thing and then brags about it to the public? Similar with this guy.
Fair enough. I can see potential motivations for this crime, simply based on poor judgement and our culture’s fetish with getting attention and “likes” online.

Side point. He didn’t brag about it in public, he posted it to a closed chat group on Discord. Illegal and stupid, to be sure, but not the same thing as a public post on say, Facebook. That’s (I think) why it took so long to come out.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Fair enough. I can see potential motivations for this crime, simply based on poor judgement and our culture’s fetish with getting attention and “likes” online.

Side point. He didn’t brag about it in public, he posted it to a closed chat group on Discord. Illegal and stupid, to be sure, but not the same thing as a public post on say, Facebook. That’s (I think) why it took so long to come out.

I feel like we had this term in the 80’s and 90’s as kids that aptly describes him (The guard guy)......cant say it now, but it rhymes with ”hard”

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Full list of capabilities in the latest $300M package of military aid to Ukraine:

Fascinating to me at least that air supremacy isn't even remotely a 'thing' in the traditional sense, when the air defense environment is so unpermissive to render most flight ops, by either side impractical.

20230504_210231.jpg

ChuckMK23

pilot
Company level infantry ops, artillery, and tanks are what seemingly will decide this war. Fascinating.

number9

Contributor
Fascinating to me at least that air supremacy isn't even remotely a 'thing' in the traditional sense, when the air defense environment is so unpermissive to render most flight ops, by either side impractical.
Can you please expand on what you mean here? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but would like to. (No sarcasm.)

ChuckMK23

pilot
Can you please expand on what you mean here? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but would like to. (No sarcasm.)
Russian doctrine today, does not require, nor emphasize air superiority. Instead driving an air d defense environment that makes air operations unfeasible. Artillery, armor, and infantry are their paths to victory - or defeat - and our support of UKR in this package seems to reflect that reality.