• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Mirage

pilot
Well I don't know if it's that simple given the politics of the European countries. But also, as I said earlier, I do not see the likes of France or Germany going at it with Russia to defend the Baltic states or any such small countries.

I don't know if Putin or his successor will be able to rebuild a credible military, but I think it just better centralizes the leadership to counter any Russian threat by having the U.S. presence.

Europe is like a flock of doves flying with an eagle, the U.S., leading them. Take away the eagle and the doves have to work together as a unit and I'm not sure I see that happening.
So we should keep spending hundreds of billions in Europe because there's an off chance that Russia rebuilds a credible military sometime in the distant future, decides he wants to fight all of NATO, and it will presumably take too long in that case to get US forces in place to help in the fight because Putin will just sweep across Europe in the blink of an eye if the eagle isn't there to lead the doves? Does that sound like a good reason to spend hundreds of billions each year on European defense to you?

Germany still has a white supremacist culture within it, they've in particular had problems with it in the KSK special forces units.
So your fear of a strong German military is that they will start gassing non-Aryans again?

I think you missed the point there. Sending hardware to Ukraine helps with deterring China because it sends the message that if they attack Taiwan, we'll support Taiwan the same. I would have to completely disagree that China sees us as weakening ourselves in Europe. To the contrary, I think they'd take it as a major sign of weakness if we were not strong in Europe and supporting Ukraine.
Re-read the portion of my post that you quoted. I literally said "I get the principle of sending a message".

Peace dividend? What maintains the peace is constant preparedness for war. As for the debt, the defense budget is not the major driver of the debt, that is the social welfare of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. Unless/until they reform those, the budget will remain out of whack.
If we spend an amount equal to that of our 3 major threats combined, we should be able to maintain constant preparedness for war, no? Do we need to then double that figure, in your view? And for the debt.. the defense budget is half of the discretionary budget. We need to fix SS and Medicare/Medicaid, sure, but saying the defense budget is not a major driver is disingenuous. That's like saying how much you spend on toys and entertainment don't matter for your personal budget because you spend far more on rent and utilities.

As we have seen, soldiers can be replaced. What would it take for China or Iran to replace the other hardware? We gave UK 99 destroyers and hundreds of fighters when they were in need at the start of WW2. While this is all going on, Russia remains the only country that will routinely fly in our ADIZ or operate in our EEZ (and not just states #49 and 50). China doesn't do that, Iran doesn't do that. That's before we even get to the nuclear side of the house.
Do you think China and Iran are going to give significant hardware to Russia because they want to attack NATO? Does Russia flying into our ADIZ frighten you? Do you think they're preparing to attack Alaska in the near future? How many countries' ADIZ's do we fly into? I want to understand your points, and how they should relate to our spending and posturing, but you need to answer questions, as I have, for that to happen.

I am trying to figure out what you think we should do - pack it all up, and dust off the Neutrality Act? Just do this with Europe? I have seen no mention if we should shutter Yoko, Atsugi, Yokota, etc. to keep China at bay. If we don't show we are willing to lead in crisis in Europe, what makes you think that Japan, PI, Taiwan, ROK will trust us when crisis comes to their doorstep? Separately, most of the money in each Defense budget is personnel costs and not hardware that contractors overcharge.
I think we should make it clear to our Allies that we completely support them, and will be there for them if they go to war. We will be great allies, and honor any and all mutual defense pacts. However, we need to get our house in order and reduce costs before our interest payments spiral out of control. We've analyzed our costs, and it's clear our European allies in particular can take care of themselves, because it's not 1950 anymore and they've rebuilt from WWII, so we are closing our bases there and leaving European affairs mostly in their capable hands. We will keep supporting Ukraine, though at a lesser level, more commensurate with what our European allies contribute and with what should be expected from a country on the other side of the globe that is unthreatened by Russia. Asia is not my specialty, but as of now I'd say we will stop provoking NK and making dear Kim think he needs to spend so much on his own defense, leaving Korean affairs primarily to South Korea (which is more than capable of defending itself with our equipment we will continue to sell them), while making it clear that if the Korean war reignites we will be right there with them. We will maintain a somewhat smaller presence in Japan, so that can credibly deter China. We will cut our defense budget in half, and get considerably more efficient with that money. If you're familiar with some of the contracts we sign, you'll know that there is plenty of fat to cut that will have 0 effect on our effectiveness.

Taking our toys and going home would cost us more in the long run, IMHO. From a pure numbers game - the ~ $400B/year that we might save would come around back at us when someone else fills in the vacuum and imposes financial costs on us (e.g. tariffs, unemployment, interest rates, higher cost per unit on remaining defense items we still need).
Who is going to "fill the vacuum" as you say? If we leave Europe, you think Russia is going to "fill the vacuum" by conquering it overnight, without us having time to shift our policy again? What precisely do you think other countries will do to "fill the vacuum" and impose all those costs on us? Our wonderful European allies already impose high tariffs on us that we don't reciprocate.

taxi1

pilot
Comment from retired General Jack Keane

What do you say to critics who say we’re spending too much on Ukraine?
One hundred billion dollars, yes, that is a significant amount of money. But it’s a small part of [a roughly] $6 trillion budget. What a return on investment of $100 billion we’re getting, for stopping Russian aggression. If we’re able to succeed in that, that will literally make President Xi think twice before likely going into Taiwan. When he sees that American geopolitical stand, taken in concert with allies, it will send a huge message. I think Iran will get the same.

If Putin is not defeated, what will he do?
Putin has said time and time again his major objective is returning to the Russian empire. … He wants the former Soviet republics that are now part of NATO to come back into that empire. He will do it by force, and he’s threatened it. … I think he’s dead serious.

Now listen: His military is in bad shape. It’s not something where, if the war ended tomorrow, Putin is going to be able to mount up in six months or a year, and conduct an invasion of a Baltic state, or a Bulgaria or Romania. Those are the most vulnerable. Moldova is something he could take in a [matter] of weeks, but they’re not NATO-aligned. … I don’t believe for a minute that Putin has given up on that goal. … He doesn’t even believe [Ukraine] is a country. [He sees it as] it belongs to Russia. … I think we should take him seriously.

Random8145

So we should keep spending hundreds of billions in Europe because there's an off chance that Russia rebuilds a credible military sometime in the distant future, decides he wants to fight all of NATO, and it will presumably take too long in that case to get US forces in place to help in the fight because Putin will just sweep across Europe in the blink of an eye if the eagle isn't there to lead the doves? Does that sound like a good reason to spend hundreds of billions each year on European defense to you?
Actually, yes, it does, because it ensures then that the Europeans and the U.S. will have lots of training with each other so good interoperability of forces, good quality equipment, adequate logistics, and so forth, which will ensure the Russians can be stopped in their tracks when they try anything again.
So your fear of a strong German military is that they will start gassing non-Aryans again?
I don't know that the risk of another Hitler coming to power is as unlikely with Germany as many today may think.
Re-read the portion of my post that you quoted. I literally said "I get the principle of sending a message".
Ah, okay. I think though that we can help both Ukraine and Taiwan.
If we spend an amount equal to that of our 3 major threats combined, we should be able to maintain constant preparedness for war, no? Do we need to then double that figure, in your view? And for the debt.. the defense budget is half of the discretionary budget. We need to fix SS and Medicare/Medicaid, sure, but saying the defense budget is not a major driver is disingenuous. That's like saying how much you spend on toys and entertainment don't matter for your personal budget because you spend far more on rent and utilities.
The defense budget is not the major driver of the overall budget though. And we don't fully know what the three major threats actually spend, but regarding that, I'd say that if we could, we absolutely should spend more, namely to increase the size of the Navy and Air Force, as from what I've read, both of those are over-stretched as it is, especially the Navy. The Navy has to handle global obligations along with being able to deter China. Unfortunately, the money just isn't there.
I think we should make it clear to our Allies that we completely support them, and will be there for them if they go to war. We will be great allies, and honor any and all mutual defense pacts. However, we need to get our house in order and reduce costs before our interest payments spiral out of control. We've analyzed our costs, and it's clear our European allies in particular can take care of themselves, because it's not 1950 anymore and they've rebuilt from WWII, so we are closing our bases there and leaving European affairs mostly in their capable hands. We will keep supporting Ukraine, though at a lesser level, more commensurate with what our European allies contribute and with what should be expected from a country on the other side of the globe that is unthreatened by Russia. Asia is not my specialty, but as of now I'd say we will stop provoking NK and making dear Kim think he needs to spend so much on his own defense, leaving Korean affairs primarily to South Korea (which is more than capable of defending itself with our equipment we will continue to sell them), while making it clear that if the Korean war reignites we will be right there with them. We will maintain a somewhat smaller presence in Japan, so that can credibly deter China. We will cut our defense budget in half, and get considerably more efficient with that money. If you're familiar with some of the contracts we sign, you'll know that there is plenty of fat to cut that will have 0 effect on our effectiveness.
I know this is for hscs, but wow would I have to disagree:

1) Russia's trying to take Ukraine does threaten us given what an important piece of land Ukraine is and how it would aid the Russians in being able to launch an attack on NATO and bully the world agriculture-wise, along with the fact of we want to support peoples seeking freedom, or else the other former Soviet-bloc states might just slide back under the Russian sphere of influence as they will feel they have no choice.

2) "Provoking" Kim Jong-Un? How so? I'd say he has been the one constantly provoking us, not the other way around. The U.S. and South Korea have been desiring peace with the North for decades, it is the North who keep being so militaristic and warlike, attacking South Korean ships and launching missiles and so forth. I think you are living in a fantasy land if you think that withdrawing from South Korea would make the North more friendly and less militaristic. The way we make it clear that we will be right there with them if the Korean War reignites is by having a troop presence, so that Kim knows if he attacks, he's attacking us along with South Korea.

3) I would seriously question whether we could actually cut the defense budget in half and maintain the same readiness. There is a reason why we are the only country with any real power projection capability.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If we spend an amount equal to that of our 3 major threats combined, we should be able to maintain constant preparedness for war, no? Do we need to then double that figure, in your view? And for the debt.. the defense budget is half of the discretionary budget. We need to fix SS and Medicare/Medicaid, sure, but saying the defense budget is not a major driver is disingenuous.

I want to put this to bed, we DO NOT spend more than our three major threats combined. First, I find it amusing that most folks seem to blissfully accept or give any credibility to the what autocratic governments claim to spend on their militaries. Here's a hint, those figures are bullshit. Secondly, a lot of countries don't count certain things in their 'military' budget, for example we separate out much of the intelligence budget and veterans funding while others cut out a lot more than just that. Finally, one third of our budget funds pay and benefits and is the largest single expense for the DoD. This is not the case for most of our adversaries.

We've analyzed our costs, and it's clear our European allies in particular can take care of themselves, because it's not 1950 anymore and they've rebuilt from WWII, so we are closing our bases there and leaving European affairs mostly in their capable hands.

One of the biggest factors binding our European allies together is us, and our much reduced presence in Europe is a tangible reminder to all that we continue to be committed to their defense. Why is that commitment and our alliance still needed? Have folks forgotten that warring European countries laid waste to much of the continent (and beyond) not once but twice last century? And both times we stayed out of it until we got dragged in them, kicking and screaming. You would think we had learned our lesson by now?

Asia is not my specialty, but as of now I'd say we will stop provoking NK and making dear Kim think he needs to spend so much on his own defense, leaving Korean affairs primarily to South Korea (which is more than capable of defending itself with our equipment we will continue to sell them), while making it clear that if the Korean war reignites we will be right there with them.

In no way are we 'provoking' North Korea unless you think us merely existing is 'provoking' him, and he spends money on his own 'defense' whether we do anything or not. This is the sort of thinking that gets us blamed for 'provoking' Putin by expanding NATO while ignoring the fervent wishes of our new Eastern European allies who suffered under the Russian yoke for 45-80 years.

We will cut our defense budget in half, and get considerably more efficient with that money. If you're familiar with some of the contracts we sign, you'll know that there is plenty of fat to cut that will have 0 effect on our effectiveness.

I don't even know where to begin with this other than to say this would very severe impact on our effectiveness, at the very least. It isn't a matter of just cutting some program 'fat' but cutting up to half or more of our personnel in addition to a lot of other things. So yeah, no.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I want to put this to bed, we DO NOT spend more than our three major threats combined. First, I find it amusing that most folks seem to blissfully accept or give any credibility to the what autocratic governments claim to spend on their militaries. Here's a hint, those figures are bullshit. Secondly, a lot of countries don't count certain things in their 'military' budget, for example we separate out much of the intelligence budget and veterans funding while others cut out a lot more than just that. Finally, one third of our budget funds pay and benefits and is the largest single expense for the DoD. This is not the case for most of our adversaries.

One of the biggest factors binding our European allies together is us, and our much reduced presence in Europe is a tangible reminder to all that we continue to be committed to their defense. Why is that commitment and our alliance still needed? Have folks forgotten that warring European countries laid waste to much of the continent (and beyond) not once but twice last century? And both times we stayed out of it until we got dragged in them, kicking and screaming. You would think we had learned our lesson by now?

Also - fun fact, We actually don’t spend that much on direct European defense.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Asia is not my specialty, but as of now I'd say we will stop provoking NK and making dear Kim think he needs to spend so much on his own defense, leaving Korean affairs primarily to South Korea (which is more than capable of defending itself with our equipment we will continue to sell them),
North Korea has nukes, while the South doesn't. That implies a certain power dynamic that isn't particularly favorable to the country w/o them. If we pulled out of that alliance, the South would create a home grown nuclear capability very rapidly to establish deterrence. Nuclear non-proliferation is a key US strategic interest.

Care to revise your assessment?

Mirage

pilot
Glad to see I've stirred some interest!

Actually, yes, it does, because it ensures then that the Europeans and the U.S. will have lots of training with each other so good interoperability of forces, good quality equipment, adequate logistics, and so forth, which will ensure the Russians can be stopped in their tracks when they try anything again.
Do you really think a constant US presence in Europe is needed for our European Allies to stop Russia "in their tracks"? You don't even think they can hold the line long enough for us to get over there? What do you base this assessment on?
I don't know that the risk of another Hitler coming to power is as unlikely with Germany as many today may think.
This is absurd. If you polled the German populace about their thoughts on their own history, you'd find that the vast majority are utterly embarrassed by it. They would be the last country on earth to attack another country. Go talk to some Germans.
The defense budget is not the major driver of the overall budget though. And we don't fully know what the three major threats actually spend, but regarding that, I'd say that if we could, we absolutely should spend more, namely to increase the size of the Navy and Air Force, as from what I've read, both of those are over-stretched as it is, especially the Navy. The Navy has to handle global obligations along with being able to deter China. Unfortunately, the money just isn't there.
Are they overstretched, or are they over-tasked?

Let me ask you this.. you'd say you'd spend even more on the military... When does our debt become the biggest threat to our national security and way of life to you? What about when our interest payments alone are $400 billion per year (or over $3k per household), as is the case right now? What about if it were $1.2 trillion per year, as the CBO projects it will be in 2032? How do you suppose we will get out of the debt once that happens? Print money and cause hyperinflation? How do you think that will work out for our security, military spending down the road, etc.?

Now, if not cutting our budget dramatically, how do you propose we get out of this problem? Do you think we can keep doing business as usual militarily, or even increase spending as you said?

1) Russia's trying to take Ukraine does threaten us given what an important piece of land Ukraine is and how it would aid the Russians in being able to launch an attack on NATO and bully the world agriculture-wise, along with the fact of we want to support peoples seeking freedom, or else the other former Soviet-bloc states might just slide back under the Russian sphere of influence as they will feel they have no choice.
You know who is a lot more dependent on Ukrainian agriculture and resources than us? Europe. We in the US are paying our farmers not to farm. That aside, I've agreed many times that we should support Ukraine. But we are not threatened by Russia.. not seriously.

2) "Provoking" Kim Jong-Un? How so? I'd say he has been the one constantly provoking us, not the other way around. The U.S. and South Korea have been desiring peace with the North for decades, it is the North who keep being so militaristic and warlike, attacking South Korean ships and launching missiles and so forth. I think you are living in a fantasy land if you think that withdrawing from South Korea would make the North more friendly and less militaristic. The way we make it clear that we will be right there with them if the Korean War reignites is by having a troop presence, so that Kim knows if he attacks, he's attacking us along with South Korea.
Do you think the Kim feels provoked when the largest military in the world, that fought his country in a war for its survival in the not too distant past, consistently performs training exercises right off his coast? What if China and Mexico started doing mock amphibious landings in Baja California? Would we feel threatened? Now magnify that by 1000, since we are so much more capable than they would be in comparison to NK. I understand that our perspective is that they are the aggressors and the provocative ones... but how do you think they feel? Just like you said Russia is paranoid before... so is NK. We know we won't attack, but they don't. Kim isn't spending something like 26% of his GDP on defense just for fun. He's terrified.
3) I would seriously question whether we could actually cut the defense budget in half and maintain the same readiness. There is a reason why we are the only country with any real power projection capability.
I don't mean to imply we won't lose any readiness. Of course we will. I mean that there is a lot of fat we could cut that wouldn't cost us readiness. Of course, if we cut half the budget, we will have to mothball equipment and downsize the force. That will allow us to build back up quickly if the need for such a massive military presents itself at some point in the future.
I was using our own government's published estimates of foreign expenditures. But regardless, what if we spent as much as the UK, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Australia, Spain, the Netherlands, and Poland, all put together? Now surely THAT would be enough, right? Those are 10 of the top 20 militaries in the world, and their people are expensive, too! That's less than $400 billion.

That was before nukes, global trade to the extent we have, before all the major countries were in the SAME alliance, before the EU, etc. This is as irrational a fear as Random thinking the Germans shouldn't have a strong military because Nazis.
In no way are we 'provoking' North Korea unless you think us merely existing is 'provoking' him, and he spends money on his own 'defense' whether we do anything or not. This is the sort of thinking that gets us blamed for 'provoking' Putin by expanding NATO while ignoring the fervent wishes of our new Eastern European allies who suffered under the Russian yoke for 45-80 years.
See my comments above. Why is it that when European states increase their military spending it's clearly because they're scared, but when NK spends a ridiculously crippling amount on theirs, your conclusion is "that has nothing to do with fear!"? Can you explain the logic there?
I don't even know where to begin with this other than to say this would very severe impact on our effectiveness, at the very least. It isn't a matter of just cutting some program 'fat' but cutting up to half or more of our personnel in addition to a lot of other things. So yeah, no.
See comments above. My meaning was misinterpreted, as I should have worded it more clearly.
If that's a "fact" to you, then you need to go back to school.

Everyone on here is telling me how we need to spend so much because Russia scares the Europeans, and we need to help them. But I guess spending on having a strong military that we then use to deter Russia to help out Europe doesn't count as spending to defend Europe. Weird logic. I also guess sending $100 billion to UKR doesn't count, because that's spending a lot, I'd say.
North Korea has nukes, while the South doesn't. That implies a certain power dynamic that isn't particularly favorable to the country w/o them. If we pulled out of that alliance, the South would create a home grown nuclear capability very rapidly to establish deterrence. Nuclear non-proliferation is a key US strategic interest.

Care to revise your assessment?
I didn't say pull out of that alliance. Re-read my post. I said withdraw our troops from there "while making it clear that if the Korean war reignites we will be right there with them". That means our nukes still back SK. Nice try.

Random8145

Do you really think a constant US presence in Europe is needed for our European Allies to stop Russia "in their tracks"? You don't even think they can hold the line long enough for us to get over there? What do you base this assessment on?
Not if taken by surprise and we lack the resources and budget to even have the equipment, troops, and training to be able to go and help them, and then inter-operate with them.
This is absurd. If you polled the German populace about their thoughts on their own history, you'd find that the vast majority are utterly embarrassed by it. They would be the last country on earth to attack another country. Go talk to some Germans.
You think racists will openly state they're racist? Do you think that the racism of the time of the Third Reich just flat-out disappeared after the war?
Are they overstretched, or are they over-tasked?

Let me ask you this.. you'd say you'd spend even more on the military... When does our debt become the biggest threat to our national security and way of life to you? What about when our interest payments alone are $400 billion per year (or over $3k per household), as is the case right now? What about if it were $1.2 trillion per year, as the CBO projects it will be in 2032? How do you suppose we will get out of the debt once that happens? Print money and cause hyperinflation? How do you think that will work out for our security, military spending down the road, etc.?
Well for one, I said (or implied) that I'd spend more money if it was available. I would not spend more with the current finances of the country. I do agree that the debt is an important issue, but the defense budget isn't the major driver of the debt and halving it isn't going to make a big difference.

But also, the debt is a little more complex an issue than it may seem, because for example, the Federal Reserve itself owns around half the national debt. So in a way, the U.S. government owes itself a lot of money.
Now, if not cutting our budget dramatically, how do you propose we get out of this problem? Do you think we can keep doing business as usual militarily, or even increase spending as you said?
The only way to get out of it will be to raise taxes without much increasing spending and large reductions in Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security spending.
You know who is a lot more dependent on Ukrainian agriculture and resources than us? Europe. We in the US are paying our farmers not to farm. That aside, I've agreed many times that we should support Ukraine. But we are not threatened by Russia.. not seriously.
Russia would have more leverage to hold the world hostage agriculturally if they took Ukraine. They would also be much better positioned to attack NATO, and the security of Europe is tied to our own.
Do you think the Kim feels provoked when the largest military in the world, that fought his country in a war for its survival in the not too distant past, consistently performs training exercises right off his coast? What if China and Mexico started doing mock amphibious landings in Baja California? Would we feel threatened? Now magnify that by 1000, since we are so much more capable than they would be in comparison to NK. I understand that our perspective is that they are the aggressors and the provocative ones... but how do you think they feel? Just like you said Russia is paranoid before... so is NK. We know we won't attack, but they don't. Kim isn't spending something like 26% of his GDP on defense just for fun. He's terrified.
I don't buy that one bit. Kim isn't terrified at all, he wants the rest of the world to THINK that, but otherwise, I think he's a very smart, rational guy. Trump's handling of him in particular demonstrated this. If he is so terrified, then why is he always so keen to act so aggressive and violent? He does that to try and scare us and the South Koreans. The training exercises are not provocative, they are necessary to hold the peace. Such exercises would only be provocative if Kim generally just acted peacefully. By your thinking, WE were being provocative to the Soviet Union by maintaining NATO. As it was, showing weakness to the Soviets only got further aggression.
I don't mean to imply we won't lose any readiness. Of course we will. I mean that there is a lot of fat we could cut that wouldn't cost us readiness. Of course, if we cut half the budget, we will have to mothball equipment and downsize the force. That will allow us to build back up quickly if the need for such a massive military presents itself at some point in the future.
You can't just build back up a quality military in a short period of time.
I was using our own government's published estimates of foreign expenditures. But regardless, what if we spent as much as the UK, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Australia, Spain, the Netherlands, and Poland, all put together? Now surely THAT would be enough, right? Those are 10 of the top 20 militaries in the world, and their people are expensive, too! That's less than $400 billion.
Those countries have no power projection.
See my comments above. Why is it that when European states increase their military spending it's clearly because they're scared, but when NK spends a ridiculously crippling amount on theirs, your conclusion is "that has nothing to do with fear!"? Can you explain the logic there?
Because the Euros do it to counter aggression while the Russians and North Koreans do it to BE the aggressor.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we should subtitle this thread “Mirage’s slow loss of credibility.”
I was gonna do a TLDR. Some of these posts are just unreadable. I think we could sum it all up by saying that he just holds a lot of very unconventional views on various topics.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you think the Kim feels provoked when the largest military in the world, that fought his country in a war for its survival in the not too distant past, consistently performs training exercises right off his coast?...I understand that our perspective is that they are the aggressors and the provocative ones... but how do you think they feel?...He's terrified.

Ah yes, poor old North Korea and 'lil Kim's feelings. If only they hadn't attacked South Korea 80 years ago, then repeatedly attacked them after the 'cease-fire' ending the war dozens of times in the years since, killing and kidnapping thousands of South Korean citizens and others around the world. But yeah, poor 'ol Kim Jong Un all terrified and alone riding around astride his mighty white steed on Mount Paektu.

1678293107365.png

I was using our own government's published estimates of foreign expenditures. But regardless, what if we spent as much as the UK, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Australia, Spain, the Netherlands, and Poland, all put together?

I think a much better comparison would be what the Chinese and Russians spend.

Europe = Democracies. North Korea = Hereditary Dictatorship. One type of government has to provide for and answer to its citizens while the other is subject to the whims of one man. Pretty simple really.

Mirage

pilot
Not if taken by surprise and we lack the resources and budget to even have the equipment, troops, and training to be able to go and help them, and then inter-operate with them.
The idea that Russia will, in the near future, rebuild it's military, secretly position them for a massive surprise attack, and defeat the EU nations so fast that we can't help if we aren't prepositioned there, is absolutely ridiculous. If you really believe that would happen, there is no point in discussing this with you.

Well for one, I said (or implied) that I'd spend more money if it was available. I would not spend more with the current finances of the country. I do agree that the debt is an important issue, but the defense budget isn't the major driver of the debt and halving it isn't going to make a big difference.
We are already spending more than the current finances of the country! That is precisely my point. I don't want to cut our budget just for kicks. I wish we could spend $10 trillion per year on the military, but we can't. Our children will be repaying every dime we spend for their entire lives at this rate, with interest. We cannot afford to keep spending what we are. If you think cutting $400 billion per year from the budget (25% of the discretionary budget) won't make a difference, then again, there's no point in discussing it.
But also, the debt is a little more complex an issue than it may seem, because for example, the Federal Reserve itself owns around half the national debt. So in a way, the U.S. government owes itself a lot of money.
Oh, so it's no problem because the Fed can just print our way out of it... Which would cause hyperinflation and ruin our credit. Or perhaps you think the Fed can just say "nevermind, you don't need to pay us back", and that debt just disappears like some magic trick?
The only way to get out of it will be to raise taxes without much increasing spending and large reductions in Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security spending.
So the DOD gets $800B, Medicare $800B, Medicaid $613B, SS $560B... but you think the only way is to leave the DOD alone and make "large reductions" to the other 3? Why not make smaller reductions from all of them? Don't you think that all the stakeholders will find that more palatable? How would you justify reducing the other 3 so dramatically but not touching the DOD? How do you figure cutting $400B from the DOD is insignificant?
You can't just build back up a quality military in a short period of time.
But isn't that what you're afraid Russia will do? You think they can build back a credible military (that they haven't had since the cold war apparently) faster than we could if we mothballed our superior technology and maintained a budget that dwarfs every other country on earth?
I don't buy that one bit. Kim isn't terrified at all, he wants the rest of the world to THINK that, but otherwise, I think he's a very smart, rational guy. Trump's handling of him in particular demonstrated this. If he is so terrified, then why is he always so keen to act so aggressive and violent? He does that to try and scare us and the South Koreans. The training exercises are not provocative, they are necessary to hold the peace. Such exercises would only be provocative if Kim generally just acted peacefully. By your thinking, WE were being provocative to the Soviet Union by maintaining NATO. As it was, showing weakness to the Soviets only got further aggression.
It's interesting how humans, on a personal level, are so quick to forgive themselves, or not even realize their shortcomings, while amplifying the same actions of others. We clearly do the same with our national identities.

We have been the most aggressive major country on earth in recent decades. From North Korea's perspective, we invaded Iraq twice, invaded Afghanistan, fought North Vietnam, have taken military actions in numerous countries from Kosovo to South America to Africa, and we are off their coast conducting mock war with them, who we also fought fairly recently. After all, as you said, we are the only ones with a power projection capability... do you suppose that capability is more offensive or defensive in nature? Who do you think they see as the aggressive and violent ones? Why do you think he is trying to scare us, as you admitted? Could it be to deter us from attacking him? Are we the only ones who get to act provocatively in order to deter? Why do you think he is spending so much on his military if not to deter us and defend against a possible assault? Do you think he actually wants war with us?
I think we should subtitle this thread “Mirage’s slow loss of credibility.”
Feel free to jump in again and debate the topics at hand, if you'd like to act mature enough to attack the arguments instead of the person.
I was gonna do a TLDR. Some of these posts are just unreadable. I think we could sum it all up by saying that he just holds a lot of very unconventional views on various topics.
I'd agree that my views are unconventional, especially on a military forum. That doesn't mean they're wrong or don't provide food for thought for some that never question the party line or the typical American viewpoint of the world.
Ah yes, poor old North Korea and 'lil Kim's feelings. If only they hadn't attacked South Korea 80 years ago, then repeatedly attacked them after the 'cease-fire' ending the war dozens of times in the years since, killing and kidnapping thousands of South Korean citizens and others around the world. But yeah, poor 'ol Kim Jong Un all terrified and alone riding around astride his mighty white steed on Mount Paektu.
Yeah man, NK is a country led by assholes for a long time. But if we want to understand why they do what they do, we have to look at things from their perspective, not ours. Clearly not something that is a common practice here. NK being assholes doesn't mean us doing what we're doing is helping the problem there or money well spent.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah man, NK is a country led by assholes for a long time. But if we want to understand why they do what they do, we have to look at things from their perspective, not ours. Clearly not something that is a common practice here. NK being assholes doesn't mean us doing what we're doing is helping the problem there or money well spent.

Seriously? It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out what North Korea wants and why they do what they do. North Korea has wanted to control all of Korea from the time it was founded ~85 years ago, that goal has not changed and they have repeatedly demonstrated they are more than willing to use force to achieve it.

And don't misunderestimate the critical thinking skills of the folks here based on a poster or two, just because the points of view you espouse in this thread are contrary to what many of us believe doesn't make them any more insightful than others.

Mirage

pilot
Seriously? It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out what North Korea wants and why they do what they do. North Korea has wanted to control all of Korea from the time it was founded ~85 years ago, that goal has not changed and they have repeatedly demonstrated they are more than willing to use force to achieve it.

And don't misunderestimate the critical thinking skills of the folks here based on a poster or two, just because the points of view you espouse in this thread are contrary to what many of us believe doesn't make them any more insightful than others.
So you believe NK is building up it's forces to attack SK? What do you think they're waiting on? I agree with you that NK would love to be able to do that, but do you really think they are going to? Is there some reason why SK, whose economy absolutely dwarfs NK's, and has the backing of our military, can't defend itself if we aren't permanently based there?

I know plenty of people here can think critically, but I've been told in this thread that Russia would conquer all of Europe in a flash if the US wasn't there, that Russia is our biggest threat because they are the only country to violate our ADIZ, that Germany shouldn't have a big military because they would start invading other countries and seek to cleanse the gene pool again, that it's insane to think our European NATO allies can defend themselves from Russia if necessary, that NK isn't scared of us, etc. So yeah, I was seeking understanding of what I was missing, and I havent been impressed with the critical thinking taking place behind the answers I've received thus far.

Why is it that the super mods get to make posts that do nothing but criticize my critical thinking, but if I make a hint of that in the middle of my post then you get your panties in a bunch and act like I'm the asshole?

Last edited:

hscs

pilot
Why is it that the super mods get to make posts that do nothing but criticize my critical thinking, but if I make a hint of that in the middle of my post then you get your panties in a bunch and act like I'm the asshole?
A USAF tanker guy told me once, that they have a saying: "If you haven't figured out who the [jerk] is on the crew after the third day of the trip, then it's you."