• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Et Tu, Petraeus?

KBayDog

It seems that actually is what was articulated...That's Susan Rice, speaking to ABC on September 16. She said the same thing to the other three Sunday talk shows.

Here's another piece of the interview, that you conveniently left out:

RICE: It's actually the opposite. First of all, let's be clear about what transpired here. What happened this week in Cairo, in Benghazi, in many other parts of the region...

TAPPER: Tunisia, Khartoum...

RICE: ... was a result -- a direct result of a heinous and offensive video that was widely disseminated, that the U.S. government had nothing to do with, which we have made clear is reprehensible and disgusting. We have also been very clear in saying that there is no excuse for violence, there is -- that we have condemned it in the strongest possible terms.

In any event, I'll quit wasting my time on this issue, since I know you'll spin the above quote, too.

The fact of the matter is that this issue is not going away any time soon. I'm not the least bit optimistic that the full truth will ever be revealed, but hopefully we'll get some answers about what did/did not happen. (I'm sure Oliver Stone is working on his screenplay as we speak.)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
That's the best you could do when confronted with the fact that the "video stuff," as you so eloquently put it, is the explanation we were originally presented with?
I was just going to let sleeping dogs lie, since, as you said, I'll just spin, but sure. I'm your huckleberry.

Let's look at the quote in context and then closely, shall we? Here's the whole thing, starting where Tapper changes gears to talk about "protests around the world" and ending when he starts talking about Egypt.

TAPPER: Look at this map, if you would. There have been protests around the world over the last several days. And President Obama pledged to repair America's relationships with the Muslim world. Why does the U.S. seem so impotent? And why is the U.S. even less popular today in some of these Muslim and Arab countries than it was four years ago?

RICE: Jake, we're not impotent. We're not even less popular, to challenge that assessment. I don't know on what basis you make that judgment. But let me -- let me point...

TAPPER: It just seems that the U.S. government is powerless as this -- as this maelstrom erupts.

RICE: It's actually the opposite. First of all, let's be clear about what transpired here. What happened this week in Cairo, in Benghazi, in many other parts of the region...

TAPPER: Tunisia, Khartoum...

RICE: ... was a result -- a direct result of a heinous and offensive video that was widely disseminated, that the U.S. government had nothing to do with, which we have made clear is reprehensible and disgusting. We have also been very clear in saying that there is no excuse for violence, there is -- that we have condemned it in the strongest possible terms.

But let's look at what's happened. It's quite the opposite of being impotent. We have worked with the governments in Egypt. President Obama picked up the phone and talked to President Morsi in Egypt. And as soon as he did that, the security provided to our personnel in our embassies dramatically increased. President Morsi...

TAPPER: It took two days for President Morsi to say anything about this.

RICE: President Morsi has been out repeatedly and said that he condemns this violence. He's called off -- and his people have called off any further demonstrations and have made very clear that this has to stop.

RICE: Now, and -- and same, frankly, in Tunisia, in Yemen, and, of course, in Libya, where the government has -- has gone out of its way to try to step up security and express deepest remorse for what has happened. We are quite popular in Libya, as you might expect, having been a major partner in their revolution. What transpired outside of our consulate in Benghazi was not an expression of deep-seated anti-Americanism on the part of the Libyan people. Quite the contrary. The counter-demonstrations, the outpouring of sympathy and support for Ambassador Stevens and for the United States, the government of Libya and -- and the people on the street saying how pained they are by this, is much more a reflection of the sentiment towards the United States than a small handful of heavily armed mobsters.

TAPPER: That certainly, according to polling, is the case in Libya. Not the case in Egypt. And since you brought up President Morsi, let me try to get some clarification on something. President Obama was asked about the relationship with Egypt on Wednesday, and this is what he said.

Now, the quote by itself:

First of all, let's be clear about what transpired here. What happened this week in Cairo, in Benghazi, in many other parts of the region was a result -- a direct result of a heinous and offensive video that was widely disseminated, that the U.S. government had nothing to do with, which we have made clear is reprehensible and disgusting.

Here is the smoking gun, right? Except she's talking about the widespread protests around the rim of Africa. Look at the rest of the remarks - they're not talking about Libya, they're talking about the region as a whole. Yes, she throws "Benghazi" in there, based on the information they had at the time. Later, when more information was available, they changed the assessment, which is exactly what they're supposed to do.

Am I missing something?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree. My frustration is with those who seem spring-loaded to believe in conspiracy when in all probability, it's the latter two. I don't think the press needs to stop asking questions - far from it, but when the answer is "we don't know yet," people shouldn't jump to conspiratorial conclusions. I know that's demanding a lot from the public these days, but hey. ;)
I am with you here. But if you think the conspiratorial types ran with the ball, just watch them now. Media that gave Benghazi scant attention will go all in now that it can be linked, if even tangentially, to a salacious sex scandal (and their guy's election is over). Conspiracies and sex, the stuff of too much of modern media.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Am I missing something?
Yes, why was anything said. Why didn't she stop when invoking the investigation excuse not to answer. It is the universal dodge when wanting to say nothing or needing to say nothing while appearing before cameras. Senior officials have all gotten the executive course on public relations. They know how to not answer questions and control the message. For God's sake, she is an ambassador. Debate is her stock and trade. Words are her weapons. And why Rice, the UN Ambassador? Where were the truly relevant State talking heads or White House mouth pieces. And why only her. She appeared on ALL the big Sunday shows. I can't think of the last time that happened, if ever. There are plenty of surrogates to get the word out. Add up to nothing? Maybe, probably. But if it doesn't bring up questions for the press or congress or ADM Mullin's investigation they are brain dead. You have questions or does all this just sound like business as usual to you? If it does you have set a very low expectation level for this administration. You pick, buffoonery, conspiracy or incompetence. It sure isn't top shelf public relations, diplomacy, damage control or politics.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If nothing is said, it's "stonewalling" and leaves the message out of your control.

Again, looking at the quote, the meat of it is not about the protests themselves, but about how the US government had nothing to do with the production of the video, which most decidedly was the catalyst for the protests.

jmcquate

Contributor
There's alot more to this than the White House video nonscense. Why was there a consulate in Benghazi? What were all of those CIA assets doing there? Was a QRF spun up in Sigonella....then stood down and who made those calls?

There's most likely a logical explanation for all of this but State, DOD, WH and CIA have some explaining to do.

Reactions: Fog

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is playing out in public with the attack in Benghazi almost always happens behind closed doors at watch/crisis/ops centers when bad shit happens. You get the initial word, then often a trickle of info turns into a torrent. Often times it can take a few hours but sometimes days to figure out what happened, depending on what happened and how reliable the information is. You try your best to keep up with it and make good decisions but what may seem like a no-brainer at the time can turn out to be the right or wrong decision later down the road.

The intial information from the administration was not because they were trying to cover something up but because the folks whose job it is to figure out what happened were trying to figure it out at the same time the administration was speaking about it publicly. Ambassador Rice apparently publicly stated what was the early analysis at the time, that analysis obviously changed as more reliable information became available. The fact that she was on several programs was because she had the 'duty' that morning and as one of the senior foreign policy folks in the administration she was an appropriate official to address what happened at the time.

One thing that makes Libya unique is that we had a mix of forces in a country that is still teetering on anarchy in some areas. We have significant relations with the government and some militias/parties/factions that control much of the country but there are still large areas of the country where there is a vacuum. It is interesting to note that the main local rapid reaction force was a militia friendly to the US, I can't think of another place where we have a presence like we do in Libya where we rely on a militia to help with security. This unique mix of forces and the situation on the ground hampered and helped the reaction to the attack, the folks from the nearby 'annex' were able to react to the attack relatively quickly and save quite a few personnel but more conventional help, US military forces, were hours away and unprepared to react in time to a rapidly changing and fluid situation on the ground.

I think much of the reaction that sees a conspiracy is grossly uninformed as to what we as a country and a military can do and how fast we can do it. Hollywood would have you believe that we can call upon forces anywhere in the world and they can react at a moments notice to any crisis but as we know the reality is far different and some of the limitations were evident in Libya. The time from the start of the attack on the consulate to the final attack on the 'annex' was 2140 to 0400, a little more than six hours. That is barely time to sort out what is going on much less mount an effective military response with forces from Italy.

There are plenty of questions that have to be answered from should we have had a diplomatic mission in a often lawless part of the country to whether there was appropriate security in place for the consulate to begin with. But to suggest that those involved in the response to the attack didn't try to save fellow Americans in peril is nothing but conspiratorial blather from the ill-informed or those so blinded by hatred of the current administration they can't see reason.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" - Robert Heinlein

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......I'll bet that chics get threatened by crazy chics on a regular basis and the FBI could care less.

Well here is your answer, crazy chic was threatening the State Department rep to SOCOM. Federal employee getting threatened by someone = FBI involvement. For someone who is supposed to be wicked smart emailing whatever 'threats' she did wasn't the brightest of moves (maybe she couldn't find a pay phone?), of course you could say that about Petraeus as well.......

jmcquate

Contributor
Well here is your answer, crazy chic was threatening the State Department rep to SOCOM. Federal employee getting threatened by someone = FBI involvement. For someone who is supposed to be wicked smart emailing whatever 'threats' she did wasn't the brightest of moves (maybe she couldn't find a pay phone?), of course you could say that about Petraeus as well.......
Found that out this afternoon (I think I posted it here). Also there's a story floating around that Petraes was sending on average 30 emails a day to the crazy chic after she broke things off.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Found that out this afternoon (I think I posted it here). Also there's a story floating around that Petraes was sending on average 30 emails a day to the crazy chic after she broke things off.

How could I have missed it on such a quiet thread........;)