• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ESWS for OCS: Silver oxidized or mirror finish?

CEC-MS

Hi all, I'm pretty new to AW, but was recently pro-rec'd and had an OCS uniform question. Is a mirror finish ESWS pin authorized at OCS, or should I go with a silver oxidized finish (the more dull looking finish)?

I saw on other threads that anodized medals are not authorized at OCS, but I wasn't sure on the OCS rules regarding warfare devices. My old ESWS pin is pretty beat up, so I didn't want to bring it to OCS.

I used the search feature to find an answer to my question, but wasn't able to find one. Thanks!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know the rule these days. But if permitted id go with the salty oxidized finish.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
Does not matter, it's your preference. I brought my shiny EAWS with me. Our class chief wanted everyone in our company to be uniform so we voted on everyone having the shiny one.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Both types of warfare devices are authorized. Some in my class wore the shiny silver, and some wore the pewter ones. Bring what you have; if your class team wants you to be uniform with your classmates, then you can pick up another set if necessary at the uniform shop, there'll be plenty of opportunities to do that by candio phase.

paulmkrueger

Lol. Sorry I was just being a smartass and not contributing anything worth a damn. I didn't attend OCS so hopefully someone with current and actual useful info can contribute. Best of luck at OCS!
Haha! No worries. I am often guilty of being a smart ass myself from time to time. Thanks for the laugh!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I can't speak personally to medals, since I was a non-prior all I got was the NDM, but the OP says that anodized medals are not authorized. Hopefully a prior can chime in to confirm.

CEC-MS

What about medals? Anodized or regular? (or no difference?)
I searched the forums for the same question. Others have said that anodized medals are NOT authorized for OCS. I can't remember the thread, but a search should yield it.

I just ordered a new set of ribbons, medals, and ESWS pin from USAMM.com. It was pretty easy to do the order.

All my stuff was pretty beat up so I didn't want to bring it to OCS. After every function where I wore ribbons, ESWS device, etc., they would get thrown back into a little box with foreign coins and keepsakes, and would come out looking worse and worse each time. Who knew?