• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EP-3 Last Pilots - Career Management?

green3p

Hey all,

Long time reader of this forum, first time poster, and big fan. Looking for some advice from the more experienced here.

A bit of background, graduated multiengine advanced in mid 2022 and put P-8's as first choice, but there happened to be a few slots for EP-3's that needed to be filled and was told I had been picked along with a few others. We have been told we are officially the last class of EP-3 pilots in the Navy.

Currently in the FRS in Jax and then will report to VQ-1 in March 2023, with orders written until early 2026.

Now the interesting part, the squadron will be hard down in early 2025. This gives us anywhere between 18 months and 24 months in the squadron. I have not really been given any solid answers on what might happen to us, as this will very likely not even be enough time to make aircraft commander/get many quals.

I have no problems flying the EP-3 and doing what the Navy tells me, it's a fun plane and interesting mission and I'm excited for the opportunity. However, want to get some unbiased advice on how bad this could screw up career timing/flying since the proverbial "golden path" (become an instructor/mission commander in the squadron -> FRS instructor - > disassociated tour etc.) is not really an option? Any advice on some career management/what to expect and how to deal with this? I have heard of the challenges that VQ-2 merging with VQ-1 caused many years ago. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Definitely a precarious position to be in. The community will likely care of the front runners it bets on within the first 6 months of checking in. Beyond that, it will be anyone’s guess how thst will play out. VP took a bunch of VS transitions when that community sundowned and has taken some SWO/Sub retreads as well and they’ve ended up doing pretty well in the community career wise. Do your best to get what you want out of the transition. If you’re not setup to be on the golden path cut bait early and make moves to set you up for the airlines ASAP until some other path catches your eye.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've met and/or known aviators who were sundowned in their current platform, re-designated to a new platform and successfully moved up in their careers. RDML Carlos Sardiello (S-3B to P-3C) is probably one of the more prominent ones at the moment.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The A/S-3C Viking Warrior should be a good long career option for you by then ?.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now the interesting part, the squadron will be hard down in early 2025. This gives us anywhere between 18 months and 24 months in the squadron. I have not really been given any solid answers on what might happen to us, as this will very likely not even be enough time to make aircraft commander/get many quals.

They were originally supposed to be gone by FY2019 but keep going and going, just how firm is that 'hard down' by 2025? I still see them doing great work, you'll be busy!

robav8r

None
Contributor
They were originally supposed to be gone by FY2019 but keep going and going, just how firm is that 'hard down' by 2025? I still see them doing great work, you'll be busy!
Keep your eye on Triton. That platforms success/failure will drive the sundown dates . . .

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's never too early to start looking into Guard/Reserve units! ;)

Keep your eye on Triton. That platforms success/failure will drive the sundown dates . . .

Keep an eye on it, but make sure it stays at an arms distance. It's a capable flatform, but there are a few other RPAs I'd rather fly/operate/program the robot to do it's thing than an MQ-4 variant.

robav8r

None
Contributor
It's never too early to start looking into Guard/Reserve units! ;)

Keep an eye on it, but make sure it stays at an arms distance. It's a capable flatform, but there are a few other RPAs I'd rather fly/operate/program the robot to do it's thing than an MQ-4 variant.
OK, but those other RPAs aren't tied to EP-3 sundown . . . .

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@zippy is spot on. I knew folks who got burned in the P-3/P-8 transition when they weren't "hot runners". Sundowns can be rough on the people determined to not be valuable. Beware an early roll to shore duty, it'll just extend your disassociated.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only drawback to going to a platform that is supposed to sundown is that you gotta get your quals knocked out quickly. When and if you transition to the P-8, you will have to start your quals from scratch. The EP-3 and P-8 have wholly different missions. The moving back to the FRS location is another PITA consideration (Whidbey to Jax).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's too bad both the squadron and platform are going away. It'd have been fun to transition to a new aircraft in the same squadron.
People can end up getting screwed then, as well. With the Bravo to Romeo transition, guys that had less than a year weren't able to transition, and because the Bs were getting scarcer, there weren't many airframes to fly, so there was less flight time.

But they did get some of that sweet Romeo sim time.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your soon to be XO is good people, and so is the current XO. They know this isn’t ideal for anyone, so kick ass, take advantage of every opportunity you get, and support your fellow JOs as you all make the best of it while getting to say you were the last of your kind .

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
People can end up getting screwed then, as well. With the Bravo to Romeo transition, guys that had less than a year weren't able to transition, and because the Bs were getting scarcer, there weren't many airframes to fly, so there was less flight time.

But they did get some of that sweet Romeo sim time.
They better keep their dirty waveguide bottle hands off my Romeo sim