• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ensign Lucy Locations

Lucy

Hello all,

Just looking into gathering information for family purposes. My husband and I are working on our location vs. job list, and I was hoping to find out what locations are normally in need of O-1 Intel officers. I have found the "list" for SWO and read through the forums, but not found anything specific with Intel. If any recent OCS graduates would like to chime in, along with those who have time in the field, I would greatly appreciate the insight. Just looking to get an idea of available options to help my husband adjust to having a Navy wife, in addition to my own inquisitive nature.

Thanks!
Lucy

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just looking to get an idea of available options to help my husband adjust to having a Navy wife, in addition to my own inquisitive nature.

Not entirely sure what you mean in this sentence, but overall, just remember that the Navy may have other plans for him aside from what would be most convenient for the two of you. I won't lie in saying that my wife has been less than thrilled about some of my previous duty stations, though I think she's pretty happy about my current one (SD). Regardless, getting full time work has been a struggle for her since she has been living with me, and it is not because she is unqualified in her field (graduate degree, tons of experience in her field, etc). She is the kind of person that has trouble when she is not working, and in some of the places I have been, there just isn't that much else to do during the week when I am gone at work. Just some things to think about.......I guess my bottom line is that married life in this business is hard on a spouse regardless of where you go, even beautiful sunny awesome heaven-on-earth San Diego, so I'd strongly advise against getting your heart set on anyplace in particular.

Lucy

Thanks for the insights. It was more of just getting an idea, even if a vague one. Not so much of getting an heart set on a place, but rather a geographical map of the possibilities. Primarily research for what I will have on my dreamlist since that first one will be at OCS and not when I will be able to have input from my husband. If more than likely it'll be Norfolk first time around it is just nice to know, versus having hopes for west coast when it won't even be a possibility. Just wanting the wishlist not to be full of impossibilities, but rather calculated from the information of what is likely.

MIDNJAC- What I meant, was if I can gather information about the 10 most likely places, whether we like them or not, that will allow time for adjustment to the possibility of living there, since we have the time currently. More of transitioning into the Navy lifestyle than concern. Prep work versus scrambling.

Thanks again
Lucy

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
MIDNJAC- What I meant, was if I can gather information about the 10 most likely places, whether we like them or not, that will allow time for adjustment to the possibility of living there, since we have the time currently. More of transitioning into the Navy lifestyle than concern. Prep work versus scrambling.

Thanks again
Lucy

Lucy, fair enough. If you want I can put you in contact with my wife. We both grew up and went to college in the great PNW, and definitely did our best to successfully return to the west coast. Can't really speak to the OCS experience (I was an NROTC guy) but she has been with me throughout flight school and such. Shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to pass it along to her.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Lucy, this is secondhand, but I remember my Intel buddies from OCS saying that Intel folks had a ton of different possibilities for billet locations. Obviously the big fleet/air centers, but tons of joint opportunities around the country and world. About the only sure thing is that you'll go to Intel School at Dam Neck, VA for ~6 months. Sorry that's a vague answer. My girlfriend has been really patient with my career, but it seems like every day is a struggle. Good luck!

Lucy

Thanks Synixman- Yes, it will be an interesting experience for those 5 months or so. First time my husband or I will have been on the East coast. Having to relearn my US geography. Best wishes with the career and girlfriend, always a jugggling act those two things. :)

MIDNJAC- That would be great. We are trying to make sure that our moves are best for my career, but still wanting to make sure our marriage doesn't fall apart as a side effect. It would be great to be in contact with a Navy spouse. More so if said spouse is biased to the PNW. Gotta love it up here.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
There are intel billets almost anywhere in the world, including overseas and on both coasts of the US. They are not just limited to squadrons - there are a ton of commands out there where he could go. If your husband has access to NKO, he can look on the intel community page and download the community Alpha Roster, which shows who is currently in each billet and the billet location. This should be the most accurate info on what there is out there. Most of the billets are one-up-one-down, meaning that the ranks are somewhat flexible.
When I graduated NIOBC, the intel school in VA Beach, we were not really given much input into where we went. The detailer gives the class Div-Os a slate (list of billets available that day), and they basically put people into jobs depending on what is available. They did try to work some mil-to-mil co-location issues, but other than that, most people got something they were not expecting. For instance, my dream sheet was, in order, East Coast--Overseas--West Coast and I now live in Whidbey Island, WA. Which definitely turned out for the best, but it was not in my long-range plan!

Lucy

Sorry to all. Rereading my post I can see where it seems that I am the spouse looking for information. Rather I am the Officer hopeful and my husband is the spouse. What I meant by the husband information, is that he has not left the PNW and is curious as to where we could end up, as am I, esp. for the first tour. That said, all of the input is really being helpful. As I am still a hopeful, NKO is not really available to me yet, but I will save the information for when it is. I have found the detailer briefing, and the hot fills, so I do understand the vast amount of possibilities, just curious as to if there are any staples that new O-1 are most likely placed at.

Trunkmonkey- How is Whidbey? I had read that it can sometimes be hard on a career because of being seperated from the main fleet/intel core area. Just what I read though. It would be great to get some insight for a current Intel officer concerning any information. I have a mentor who is an O-3 for the USNR but have not yet been able to converse with a current active duty Intel officer. Any and all would be great.

Thanks!
Lucy

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Lucy - sorry for the misunderstanding. I see what you mean now and I should not assume.
Whidbey took some getting used to at first. Small town, not a lot of eating/bar/shopping opportunties. It is starting to grow on me though. Lots of chances to get outside for skiing, biking, hiking, camping, boating, fishing, etc.
It would be hard on a career if you spent your whole career here - like me. Fortunately, the detailer will actively discourage you from doing that. Whereever you go first, expect it to be two-year sea duty, probably a 1-of-1 FITREP. This makes it hard for that tour to have any impact on your career in a way that is meaningful to future milestones.
Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk further. I am not exactly plugged into the broader intel community, but I will do my best to point you in the right direction if you have any questions.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Haha wow reading comprehension fail for me. Can't speak to the intel community, but from what I have seen of the aviation side, the male spouse population is few and far between (with the exception of couples who are both AD). Not sure what that is like for those guys, though I do know one guy who is wearing those shoes.

Lucy

Yes, that is a lot of why I am trying to figure things out ahead of time. Thankfully he is a A&P, aircraft mechanic, so maybe someday he'll be able to get a contractor position, or other job on base. Tough shoes I am sure, but he's ok having a sugar momma ^_^.

( jk for the most part)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yes, that is a lot of why I am trying to figure things out ahead of time. Thankfully he is a A&P, aircraft mechanic, so maybe someday he'll be able to get a contractor position, or other job on base. Tough shoes I am sure, but he's ok having a sugar momma ^_^.

( jk for the most part)

He may be the sugar daddy (being an A&P and all) until you make O3-ish :)