• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enough Time for Continuing Education?

DeadCactus

Hopefully this isn't too silly of a question. Do Aviation Officers (USMC if it matters) tend to have enough free time to pursue further education? In specific, I've always wanted to get my paramedic certification (just a personal desire).

I've read about it being common for Officers to get Master's degrees on their own time (out of necessity) so I was wondering about the possibility of doing something like paramedic certification.

Would this be a reasonably feasible goal or is it something I should probably do before shipping out if it is important to me?

JakeF

Let me say first, I'm not in the military.

Now for the short answer to your question. No. Being a paramedic needs to be your only concentration, not an afterthought to being a pilot.

PM me if you want to know more about EMS.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Let me say first, I'm not in the military.

Now for the short answer to your question. No. Being a paramedic needs to be your only concentration, not an afterthought to being a pilot.

PM me if you want to know more about EMS.

Uh who said? If he is (or becomes) a volunteer EMT, a lot of times they will put you through Paramedic school if you request it. At least that's how it works in my area. Whether he will have time to do it while in the Corps is another issue I can't comment on, but plenty of people are Paramedics without it being their career.

I do know that Medic school is several months long, if you do it the volunteer way, it'll probably be 2 nights a week and weekend stuff as well. Again, this is how it works in my area. Also, if you are starting from scratch, you have to have your EMT certifications before you can go to Medic school, so it can be a lengthy process (plan for at least a year from start to end of Medic school) if you are planning on starting brand new.

DeadCactus

I have my EMT-B already. I've enjoyed volunteering with it and want to continue on with more education/training. I just wondering how possible it is to be in the same place with free weekends/evenings long enough to finish the class. Are there maybe certain points (ie maybe Flight School or the B-Billet Ground Tour a few years in) in the average person's path through their commitment where this is more feasible?

Edit: Flight school doesn't seem likely to me. Just an example.

phrogpilot73

I have my EMT-B already. I've enjoyed volunteering with it and want to continue on with more education/training. I just wondering how possible it is to be in the same place with free weekends/evenings long enough to finish the class. Are there maybe certain points (ie maybe Flight School or the B-Billet Ground Tour a few years in) in the average person's path through their commitment where this is more feasible?

Edit: Flight school doesn't seem likely to me. Just an example.
Sometime after your first fleet tour. You're a bit busy learning how to fly/your platform up until that point...