• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlistment vs OCS time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

I am a civilian college grad and I've been having a really tough time getting any job, and the military seems really attractive, but nobody ever told me just how long it could take to get into an officer program. I've been going through the application process since last September! If I come up non-select or fail to hear anything in another month I'm really considering enlistment, despite advice to the contrary. My question is, how long would it take to end up at basic training? It seems to me it should be a much quicker process (especially since I've completed the medical and physical requirements.) Also, I know it's possible to request OCS while enlisted, but, again, you have to wait. Does anybody know what the wait period is in that case (just to submit an application after enlistment, I mean) Thanks.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
If you enlist, don't plan on shipping anytime soon. I know guys trying to do that who are getting ship dates almost a YEAR out from now!!! That was unheard of when I enlisted in 1997...

Technically, you can submit an OCS app as soon as you hit your "A School," but most C.O.'s want to get a better impression of a Sailor before they'll endorse an OCS app. Most guys reach their permanent duty station first, then work hard to impress the hell out of their Command-maybe 1 or even 2 years- then submit. Be sure to talk to your CCC asap if you wind up enlisting.

Sabre170

None
Another thing, if you enlist it will depend on what job you choose or are qualified for. If you package is completed and a recruiter can use all the info your OSO has you will get past MEPS and into the system sooner than Joe Blow walking in today and wanting to sign up. Your college will help will accelrated promotions (E3 out of boot camp) etc.. But from a former enlisted Marine, if you want to enlist and then try to becaome an officer, I would recommend doing 4 years and getting the O1E paygrade vs. O1.

Just my two cents.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
What are everybody's thoughts on enlisting with a degree? I was pro rec'd for SNA and recently non selected for no apparent reason. My epsq and medical were all fine I was just one of the unlucky few. I currently am unemployed and am pretty set on becoming a Naval Officer. What are your thoughts on enlisting?

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
I'd re-apply before I'd enlist. It's feasible, but you have to jump through more hoops to get in as an enlisted member. Show your commitment by bettering your package and re-applying, and if still a no-go then maybe consider enlistment.

cricechex

Indeed, some people are having to waite for almost a year after signing for the enlisted ranks. However, it depends mostly on what job you want, like someone said. Furthermore, the recruiters can pull some strings to get you out the door ASAP. My recruiting station had someone enlist a few months ago that left the same week. They knew he didn't have another choice. He had nowhere to live and didn't have a job. Another option is to request to be moved up on your leave date. In this scenario, you would pack your bags and waite for your recruiter to call you. When he did, it would go like this; You get the call, get a ride to the recruiting station, and leave the same day. Clearly not the best option for all people.

As far as enlisted commissioning programs go, visit:
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/
I think it would show you what your options are; however, I don't know if it is different for a person that has completed his/her bachelor's already. There might be other options for you.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Cricechex, according to that webpage those who have already earned their degree (such as myself) are not eligible for STA-21. We must simply apply to OCS. From what I have heard, it is harder to get to OCS from the enlisted side than the civilian side.

Ooooh!

"If you enlist, don't plan on shipping anytime soon. I know guys trying to do that who are getting ship dates almost a YEAR out from now!!! That was unheard of when I enlisted in 1997..."

Wow, when I enlisted in '96 I walked into the recruiters and said "I want to ship immediately." They thought I was running from some crime :) I walked in on a tuesday and shipped out the following tuesday.

ksn00

I agree with Slasher in that if you enlist just to bide your time until being selected for OCS or to make your application look better then you had better be willing to wait. You will be required to have your Commanding Officer's endorsement for any application, and most COs will have all kinds of prerequisites for students in training pipelines. The biggest thing is that they will not know you from the next guy and will end up giving you a generic recommendation that they give to all of their student sailors. Once you get to your ship or other permanent duty station it will be somewhat easier, but again you will need to take the time to establish yourself as someone deserving of a commission. I would anticipate at least 2-3 years (conservative) before you reach that point. I am not saying that it couldn't happen sooner, or that it hasn't been done in the past, but getting selected from the enlisted ranks within 1 year of entering service is tough. You will mainly see that with STA-21 applicants, but to qualify to apply to STA-21 you CANNOT have a 4 year degree. I am guessing that you do, and as such, you are now disqualified from that program. I spent 10 years enlisted before getting my commission, and I can tell you that you really need to be aware of the differences between the two. Talk to people that you know who are in the military, do research.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.