• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlistment - Officer Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

Hey guys, right now I’m in DEP waiting to go to basic after I graduate. My original plan was to do Reserves during college and do the PLC Aviation program. However, I’ve always wanted to be a 0311 Grunt. What types of commissioning programs are out there? My academics are good, SAT scores in the top 4%. How long is the commitment for infantry? How competitive is a commissioning program for an enlisted wanted to do aviation? Any advice on which program to choose, how to make my package more competitive, and anything I forgot to mention would help GREATLY…. Thanks in advance

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I'm not in DEP but my recruiter, a master gunnery sergeant with almost 30 years in, has told me that if I do reserves I can go to PLC (with aviation) after my first year of college. Most people must wait until their sophmore year to apply. In addition, once you're in the PLC program you are relieved of your reserve commitment. Now I dont know how often this all works out, but thats what I've been told.

Schwabenprinz

Lang, I know a couple of guys who are in PLC and are USMC reservist and they have just recently been activated regardless of being in PLC. MY OSO told me they have to wait till they get out of active duty before they can come back to PLC. You might want to call other recruitment offices just to see what they tell you.

-------------------
This space for rent

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I did the reservist (0351) thing while in college and PLC Jr's and Sr's. It worked out great for me. I was told by my OSO that my obligation was to the PLC program not my reserve unit, once I had attended OCS. 9-11 happened just after my commissioning so I can't say the same about someone just getting into the program. I think it is probably the BEST way to go though. I learned a TON of stuff, had a ball, have some great stories and experiences to share, and it further solidified my desire to be a Marine Aviator! The experience was EXTREMELY useful at OCS and TBS too! I say go for it -- even if deployment may be in your future -- you CAN'T beat that type of experience!

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Yeah, because of the situation with Iraq I believe reservists have to wait for OCS, but i am sure they will get their chance.

Rayman

How about if you go enlisted, how long into the enlistment can the Corps accept you to attend OCS with aviation contract?

Crowbar

None
Somebody made a post a while back, something along these lines, and I think they said something to the effect of, "I'll just enlist, then apply for MECEP, life will be grand and I won't have any worries." My reply was pretty pissed off and lengthy, but somewhere in there I said, "Applying for MECEP (or any other enlisted-officer program) is not like applying for a Discover card-You are NOT preapproved."

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I would not trade my enlisted time for anything. But once you are actually a Marine, things get a little more competitive. The number of Marines accepted into MCP/ECP each year is less than 100. The number that get into MECEP each year is roughly 100. And there are a lot more Marines out there who want into each program.

The big issue that everyone has mentioned is our wartime situation. If you enlist now, active or reserve, I wouldn't put too much faith into going right to college. May have to wait a while.

Like jboomer said, being an enlisted Marine lets you see a whole different side of things before you cross over to "the dark side". But just be prepared for possible activiation and deployments, then year(s) of heartbreak trying to get into OCS. I applied for MECEP three times (three years-I was damn near too old the last time) before I got in. Good luck.

Staff NCO's never die. They just go to hell and torment officers.

smterry

Originally posted by BRM21o
Hey guys, right now I’m in DEP waiting to go to basic after I graduate. My original plan was to do Reserves during college and do the PLC Aviation program. However, I’ve always wanted to be a 0311 Grunt. What types of commissioning programs are out there? My academics are good, SAT scores in the top 4%. How long is the commitment for infantry? How competitive is a commissioning program for an enlisted wanted to do aviation? Any advice on which program to choose, how to make my package more competitive, and anything I forgot to mention would help GREATLY? Thanks in advan

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I dont think it's difficult at all to get into PLC right now. There might be a few problems with the whole Iraq conflict but that will probably be over by the time you get your package ready.

If you want to get into the meritorious commissioning program thats really hard, but if you're paying for college yourself, and you meet the requirements I dont think its any harder than for a civilian college student.

Status
Not open for further replies.