• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

enlisting first then applying to be an officer

Mmlz

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Don't know what I was thinking. I didn't mean to insult anyone either.

I've been re-reading over everyone's replies and am now reconsidering NROTC. It seems like the best option but I'm still looking at everything.

Again, thanks for clearing this all up for me and sorry if I insulted/pissed anyone off.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're not the first person to ask, and not the first to do the "I want to make things harder and feel like I earned it" thing, either. The responses you all got are the same, though: the worst way to become an officer is to enlist first. Once you enlist, your ass belongs to the Navy, and the Navy cares not for your dreams and desires and schedules.

If you have the means to become an officer without enlisting - do it.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
You're not the first person to ask, and not the first to do the "I want to make things harder and feel like I earned it" thing, either. The responses you all got are the same, though: the worst way to become an officer is to enlist first. Once you enlist, your ass belongs to the Navy, and the Navy cares not for your dreams and desires and schedules.

If you have the means to become an officer without enlisting - do it.

Possibly quite true today...but "back in the day", USN bent over backwards to make the "NavCad" program available to me.

Suggested some appropriate USAFI correspondence courses for me to complete; flew me from Rota to Port Lyautey, Morocco on RON's once or twice for physicals and other tests; allowed me to retake all my "basic battery" (enlisted) tests; aided in some other ways as well. And it all worked out well...for both me and USN. To this day, I enjoyed being a "Bluejacket"...and I believe my experience as such aided me greatly during my commissioned career. (Didn't meet many other fighter/attack pilots wearing Good Conduct medal back then.) ;)

And, of course, until I finally separated ten years after joining up...and even as a mid-grade, experienced, combat qualified A7 IP (1310)...Navy still owned my ass...and never let me forget it!! (LOL!!)

jl08

pilot
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Don't know what I was thinking. I didn't mean to insult anyone either.

I've been re-reading over everyone's replies and am now reconsidering NROTC. It seems like the best option but I'm still looking at everything.

Again, thanks for clearing this all up for me and sorry if I insulted/pissed anyone off.

I would also stay away from enlisted recruiters when exploring your options, they will tell you anything to get you to enlist. Again, I know this is repetitive but trust me the enlisted route is not the best way to go if your goal is to become an officer. I am very proud of my time as an enlisted Sailor (you can tell by my avatar) but had I gone straight to college instead of enlisting at 18 I would more than likely be in a fleet squadron right now. Instead I am a junior in college just now getting accepted into a program. Take the path of least resistance! Good Luck!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I would also stay away from enlisted recruiters when exploring your options, they will tell you anything to get you to enlist. Again, I know this is repetitive but trust me the enlisted route is not the best way to go if your goal is to become an officer. I am very proud of my time as an enlisted Sailor (you can tell by my avatar) but had I gone straight to college instead of enlisting at 18 I would more than likely be in a fleet squadron right now. Instead I am a junior in college just now getting accepted into a program. Take the path of least resistance! Good Luck!

Agreed. Asking an enlisted recruiter what the best way to become an officer is, is like putting the rat in charge of the cheese.

Chexmix

So.... yes, it is the general opinion of people on this board that it is not the greatest idea to enlist if the ultimate goal is to become a Naval officer. But... for some people, there is no choice. That being said, if someone with a college degree enlist (reserves to be specific), how soon after the basic training would you be able to apply to OCS?

jl08

pilot
So.... yes, it is the general opinion of people on this board that it is not the greatest idea to enlist if the ultimate goal is to become a Naval officer. But... for some people, there is no choice. That being said, if someone with a college degree enlist (reserves to be specific), how soon after the basic training would you be able to apply to OCS?

Unless your package is just not competitive enough to get selected for OCS out of college I can't think of any reason why you would have to enlist into the reserves.

If for whatever reason you do, there are boards every month that you can apply for. If you are in the reserves you will have to get a conditional release from your contract which isn't difficult and you can apply immediately. You can even apply before you leave for Great Lakes.

Kyoowashugi

I know you've reconsidered, but NROTC is not the cakewalk that some people seem to think it is. I put as much time daily into it as I do my classes - if you do it right (or wrong, some people would say...) then it's well on the way to becoming a full-time job. I get the best of both worlds, and I haven't looked back.

Chexmix

Unless your package is just not competitive enough to get selected for OCS out of college I can't think of any reason why you would have to enlist into the reserves.

If for whatever reason you do, there are boards every month that you can apply for. If you are in the reserves you will have to get a conditional release from your contract which isn't difficult and you can apply immediately. You can even apply before you leave for Great Lakes.

I'd have to enlist to get my citizenship, that's why. I'm guessing you work it out with your CO at your reserve unit to get a conditional release? And what are the differences, if any, in the process of applying compared to the civilian applicants?

jl08

pilot
I'd have to enlist to get my citizenship, that's why. I'm guessing you work it out with your CO at your reserve unit to get a conditional release? And what are the differences, if any, in the process of applying compared to the civilian applicants?

Ok sorry, that makes more sense. Yes, once you arrive at your NOSC and are assigned to a unit you will get the conditional release from you command. You will submit your package via a regular OR (officer recruiter) and he/she will let you know what paperwork that you will need to apply. If I remember correctly, as a prior (which you will be) you will need copies of your DD214, all evals, any awards that you might receive, your page 4, and a CO's endorsement. I am probably missing something but your OR will have a checklist for you. Overall the process is very similar and you will have an edge over your competition with your prior service. Good luck and don't give up!

phrogpilot73

I'll answer your question pre-deletion.

No. You have to establish yourself with your command as someone they'd like to see as an officer. All you're proving early on is that you can survive boot camp and A school...