• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

enlisting first then applying to be an officer

jayswrld25

I found this web site and I think this could be a huge asset for me. I am a recent college graduate and have always had aspirations of joining the military. I went to marine corps ocs last summer and ended up with a horrible infection which was grounds for separation. I don't want to go through another situation like that and end being sent home. I decided to enlist into the Navy because I received the job that I wanted and a nice package regarding my student loans/bonus. I also have been doing research regarding becoming an officer and have come to the realization that service members can apply to ocs immediately after basic training. So I figure why not enlist and then apply to OCS and then when I go to ocs I will be even more prepared due to my experience in the service. My recruiter also keeps bringing up the STA program and says that If I get accepted to the STA program that I won't have to go to OCS and I would have to just go to a 4 week program that would just educate me on how to be an officer.
Please critize my decision, offer any suggestions or recommendations, past experiences.
Thank you.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
My recruiter also keeps bringing up the STA program and says that If I get accepted to the STA program that I won't have to go to OCS and I would have to just go to a 4 week program that would just educate me on how to be an officer.

That's a crock of sh it. If you already have your degree, you are not eligilbe for STA-21. Also, don't expect to be able to apply to OCS right after boot camp. You'll have to prove yourself as an enlisted sailor and gain the endorsement of your command.

What is it you want to do in the Navy? Why not just apply directly to OCS?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a similar thread not too long ago. I think you will find a lot of folks on this board will disagree with your thought process on going enlisted first.

Here's the
link

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Enlist because you want to be enlisted, not because you think it'll make you a better officer/ get commissioned easier etc...

If you haven't signed yet, don't. Take several leaps back and look at your situation.

You got sent home from OCS? Thats too bad, but there are plenty of Marine Officers out there that had to overcome medical difficulties, go back and get that commission. They obviously wanted it, do you?

If you are afraid of disappointment- its everywhere in life.

I recently had a discussion about this with a family friend... her son was thinking of enlisting DEP and going to boot camp after he got his degree because he didn't really know what he wanted to do with his life... I told her that was crazy for many reasons (Unfortunately his recruiter was trying to pull some wool over eyes as well)- this was a big one that made the most sense to her:

He'd be in his mid 20s with a college degree working with people who are 17-19 y/os fresh out of high school and getting paid as such chipping paint, etc (The recruiter told him he'd get his rate by signing undesignated first and then he'd get it worked his way...) while he'd be looking at JO's he'd be working for who were his age, with his educational background making far more money then a junior enlisted.

Don't take any of what I said as E bashing. You just need to think about things objectively for a bit- you are looking for the easy way/quick fic to get what you want. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do it, but there are ways that might make more sense in your situation.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Find an officer recruiter. They are located at all the Navy Recruiting District headquarters. Tell him what the enlisted recruiter said so that he can correct all the inaccuracies and ensure you have the proper information with which to make your decision.

An enlisted recruiter is not your friend. He has a quota to make and it is based on enlisting people - not getting them into officer programs. He could give a rat's ass if you ever get commissioned. He wants to get you to sign enlistment papers and ship you off to boot camp. Then his quota is filled and he gets credit toward advancement and recognition.

Go to http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/. Use the pull down menu to select the NRD nearest you. Go to that NRD's site and find the link for Officer Programs. If there isn't one, go to a different NRD's site until you do find one. The guy you want to talk to is an Officer Programs Officer.

Better yet - tell your enlisted recruiter you want to talk to the OPO. See if he gets you in contact with him. It will tell you a lot about his true character and motives if he tries to talk you out of it, will not give you the information or acts like he does not know what you are talking about.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
That's a crock of sh it. If you already have your degree, you are not eligilbe for STA-21. Also, don't expect to be able to apply to OCS right after boot camp. You'll have to prove yourself as an enlisted sailor and gain the endorsement of your command.

What is it you want to do in the Navy? Why not just apply directly to OCS?

^
What he said.

What is with this rash of shady recruiters lately? Dude, if you are qualified for an Officer program, and you want to be an Officer, go become a freakin' Officer!

It sounds like you want to use an enlistment bonus as a way to pay off student loans, and then get handed an OCS slot. Sounds great, but it won't be that easy. I have no statistics, but most Sailors I have seen picked up for OCS were not very junior (read E5/E6 w/ 5+ years).

Fear of failure should not be an issue for a person seeking a commission. I know of several OCS NPQs who returned as retreads and earned their commission.

And how 'bout capitalizing Marine Corps next time? :icon_mi_4

jayswrld25

Wow

Wow I didn't think that I would get this much a response. Anyway, I chose the Navy b/c I wanted to get the IT rate and learn about computers while the Navy also guarantees your job. I don't feel as if I am looking for a quick fix but I understand that enlisting will be more of a sure thing, rather than OCS, especially since I have already been a NPQ. But to respond to some of the messages; that sounds like a good idea to speak with an OPO to get the facts straight before I get into this. Regarding acceptance to OCS, when I went to Marine Corps OCS, one-third of my platoon were prior enlisted and only one candidate was higher than an E-4. Most were E-3's and lower and a lot of the candidates were still in college. So I do believe that I would be able to apply to OCS during my tenure with the Navy. Regarding the student loan comment if I were to get commissioned I would be making more money, so I don't know why I would be seeking a bonus to pay off loans when I would be making almost 10,000 more a year as an officer from the start. My argument is just that after being a NPQ my eyes opened and I realized that my aspirations of joining the military might never occur. And with the opportunity to enlist and then be able to become an officer anyway at least I would already have been in the military even if I were to get injured at OCS. Again, please criticize, and leave comments on this topic.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The chances of you being injured at Navy OCS are very slim compared to Marine OCS.

Plus the Navy probably won't send you packing if you are injured. Unless it is career ending, you'd probably just hang around OCS waiting to heal and continue.

Apply for OCS first. If you don't get accepted you can still enlist later. It's not necessarily true the other way. Enlist guys are very important, but I think you will find more satisfaction and enjoyment as an officer.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Wow I didn't think that I would get this much a response. Anyway, I chose the Navy b/c I wanted to get the IT rate and learn about computers while the Navy also guarantees your job. I don't feel as if I am looking for a quick fix but I understand that enlisting will be more of a sure thing, rather than OCS, especially since I have already been a NPQ. But to respond to some of the messages; that sounds like a good idea to speak with an OPO to get the facts straight before I get into this. Regarding acceptance to OCS, when I went to Marine Corps OCS, one-third of my platoon were prior enlisted and only one candidate was higher than an E-4. Most were E-3's and lower and a lot of the candidates were still in college. So I do believe that I would be able to apply to OCS during my tenure with the Navy. Regarding the student loan comment if I were to get commissioned I would be making more money, so I don't know why I would be seeking a bonus to pay off loans when I would be making almost 10,000 more a year as an officer from the start. My argument is just that after being a NPQ my eyes opened and I realized that my aspirations of joining the military might never occur. And with the opportunity to enlist and then be able to become an officer anyway at least I would already have been in the military even if I were to get injured at OCS. Again, please criticize, and leave comments on this topic.

The reason you encountered so many junior enlisted candidates at OCS is because the Corps sends MECP guys to OCS before finishing college. The Navy does not, which means that those wishing to attend OCS need to have a college degree. Since most people do not enlist with a college degree, this means that most enlisted Navy OCS applicants completed their degree while serving on active duty, usually placing them at the aforementioned 5+ year mark. Generally speaking, THAT is who you will be competing against for a Navy OCS slot if you enlist first. You will ABSOLUTELY be able to apply for OCS during your time in the Navy, but you will not guaranteed to be any more competitive than you are today.

The prior NPQ thing has me dumbfounded honestly. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like you've let it defeat you, which is problematic to say the least.

As for the guaranteed rate thing, IT is a great job, but there are a ton of them and it is highly possible that you are likely to learn a lot more about cleaning sh!tters, washing dishes, and doing laundry than you learn about computers during a good part of your enlistment. These assignments support the mission and build experience and leadership as well, but your enlisted recruiter is not likely to tell you about them.

It seems to me like your interest in enlisting is taking you on a huge detour from your endstate: a commission

Sabre170

None
:) When I went through OCS there were a few prior Navy enlisted folks there, one was a Intel Chief (12 years), one was a Seal (E-6, 6 years), and one was a guy who made Chief in 8 years then came to OCS during his 10th year of service. Sure some of these folks had to finish their degrees and I understand you already have one. Great but I highly doubt you will get picked up on your first submission. Plus I think I remember something about you having to finish C school before you are allowed to apply.

I have cleaned toilets, stripped and wax the decks, painted rocks, been on working parties, etc... TRUST ME when I say it is much better as an Officer, even an Ensign:) .

The enlisted route is great if you want to be a Seal since their are so FEW officer slots, and the Enlisted route will always be there. Talk to the OPO and apply for Navy OCS. If you get it great, if not you still have Plan B.

jayswrld25

Questions?

I am going to contact an OPO but before I do, would you guys know how Navy OCS works? Is it similar to Marine Corps OCS where only 3 or 4 classes a year commence or is more like boot camp and classes occur every week or so. Also, is there a way that if something negative were to happen and I wasn't able to complete OCS that I would be able to be directly sent to Recruit Training. I know that I want to be in the military and that is why I would want that option. I want to take the next step in my life and after being a NPQ I guess I am a little gun shy. But ultimately serving is what I want to do but I am trying to put myself in the best position that I can.

Thanx

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I am going to contact an OPO but before I do, would you guys know how Navy OCS works? Is it similar to Marine Corps OCS where only 3 or 4 classes a year commence or is more like boot camp and classes occur every week or so.

Navy OCS has classes that are 2-3 weeks apart. It's not like Marine OCS where the next class checks onboard when the class before it is done.

If you mess up, you'd roll back to the next class, possibly repeating 2-3 weeks. If you bust an ankle or something, you go to "H" company until you're ready to class up. Does this all suck? yeah, but it's better than getting sent home and then trying to come back, I'd think.

You really have to screw up to get sent to boot camp from OCS.

Mmlz

Enlisting then OCS?

Well I was planning on doing NROTC in College but I've thought about it and I don't think it is the right thing for me. So I've decided to Enlist right out of High School but I still want to be a Pilot in the Navy so I have some questions about Officer Candidate School.

I read about OCS on Navy.com and it said I need a Bachelors degree to attend. If I enlist will I be able to get my Bachelors degree in 4 years while active duty and will I be able to get the Navy to pay for my college?

Any replies are appreciated. :)