• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisting again, hope to become Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AT2IFT

I am proir service, AT2 P-3 In-Flight Technician. I got out 4 years ago to go to college and now that I am 5 classes from graduation, I lost my job and am forced to reenlist to make ends meet (wife and kids) until I can finish my degree and hopefully get into OCS.

I do have a few questions and concerns. My numbers are competetive 52 on the ASTB OAR and a 3.66 GPA in information technology. But the bad side is that I was fired from my job at Lockheed Martin for using the GI bill along with corporate tuition reimbursement. The firing was pretty screwed up, for years they didn't say that it was wrong to use both, but in the end they changed thier position. My degree is also from the University of Phoenix Online, which I must say is every bit as challenging as any other University, Java programming classes will make your head spin no matter how you take them.

I am afraid that there may be some bias by the selection boards against online schools, is this true? Another point is that nowhere on my diploma or transcripts will the workd "online" appear, it will be exactly the same as the diploma/transcripts from a traditional University of Phoenix campus.

After enlisting, my civlian employment isn't included in the selection process, enlisted people don't submit a resume with an OCS package do they? So my firing shouldn't matter because how will they see it?

I miss the days of teamwork and camraderie in the Navy, I was an enlisted Aircrewman who worked beside Officers day in and day out, and had a great record with no offenses or NJP, and great evals. I long for a Navy career again, and would rather finish an enlisted career than to stay in the civlian workforce.

Having said all of that, How do I go about getting selected to OCS? I truly wish to become an Officer, and will do whatever I have to to make myself competetive. I was a tech Rep while at Lockheed so going back into my community on sea duty will allow me to perform at an exceptional level. I can use my experience and knowledge to help squadrons who are struggling to keep their systems going (new avionics package) and earn some early promote evals at the same time. I have a lot of contacts still in the Navy, several commanders including 2 CO's to write recommendation letters for me.

How do you think I stack up, and what can I do to improve my chances at selection? I had really hoped to finish school and apply to OCS form the outside, but I don't see how I could get selected after being fired.

Please advise.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
When you're back in the fleet just work towards outstanding evals, get involved in the community (Which I know may be difficult due to family/work/school), and get as many solid letters of rec from Officers as you can muster. Your GPA is very respectable, just ensure your grades don't slip with what you have left.

I have no idea how they view the online degree thing, sorry. But it's kinda late to worry about it now.

Just because you were fired doesn't mean you couldn't get picked up for OCS. When you put your package together, they give you a chance to explain blemishes in your record with a short statement-so you can plead your case. Being so close to your degree, were I you I'd try to finish it up and find some part-time job to tide you over until you're through, though I know it's difficult with a family. I'd get my package together now and submit it, and see what happens. If it's bad news, re-enlist and work it from the inside.

Best of luck Shipmate.

JKD

I think they do go back for 3 years of employment. This can be balanced with the rest of the package being strong. I enlisted in the reserves just over a year ago for the extra money, and just applied for OCS. Keep your chain of command informed on your intentions. Once you are back on active duty, you will have to apply through your command. Make sure you talk to the Command Career Counselor about applying.

I'm also completing a degree at University of Phoenix. The online campus is accredited under the same standards as all the other campuses (and the degree and transcripts just says University of Phoenix, nothing about online). My CO in an instructor for UOP Online and University of Denver Online. He said UOP has the best online program by far. I've read a few posts about online degrees not being as good, but I've never heard this from anyone who has taken an online class. More colleges are offering online courses, and online courses are gaining more respect.
I've done both, traditional school and online, and online is defiantly harder, and requires more dedication and work. (I have one more class, and finish in 6 weeks!!!)

good luck!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
what the Navy doesn't know can't hurt it. If you degree doesn't say online, then don't bring it up. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.