• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

enlisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFuqua86

wondering ifa enlisted man who did poor in highschool but recieved a 1290 on sat and an 7/8 astb would have any chance for admission to naval academy

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Good Chances

I spent 4yrs enlisted before attending the ol' USNA. Your chances--provided you've stayed out of trouble--are pretty good. Better, in fact, than a lot of civilians w/ the idea to go to the Academy. Chances are, you'd wind up w/ a SecNav nomination and an all-expenses-paid trip to NAPS in Rhode Island, but the end result would be a spot in the next year's class. If memory serves me correctly, application dates are quickly approaching, so you might want to get on it if you're interested. I would, however, suggest that you fully investigate just what you'd be getting yourself into. Annapolis can be very rewarding, but extremely frustrating and difficult. Happy to entertain any other questions.

NAPSmom05

I also think you have a great shot

I don't know much about rankings as I am just a mom of a current naps student. But, I know she has told me how smart these men and women coming from the fleet are. NAPS entire reason for existing used to be to get the enlisted into the academy. So, if you are interested, go apply. Good luck.
NAPS05mom

keithga1983

Prior enlisted here (now plebe, I mean 4/C - class of 2008)

Just some insight on how heavy your enlisted experiance plays yon your admission to the naval academy..

I got direct admission with not so good highschool and college grades:

Hisghschool: 3.56 GPA ACT 27 extra cirricular - NONE
College: (1 year) 2.88 GPA

The only reason I got accepted was my performance after I joined the military. Im doing fine and dandy (3.7 GPA so far - hopefully I'll be able to keep it up) without going to NAPS. Personally - I dont believe that anyone really needs to go to NAPS to excell here, just a little hard work.

Anyway, just thought Id add my 2 cents. Get good reccomendations, and have a good eval record while you were enlisted and you should definatly be golden.. most people from enlisted go to NAPS though. NAPS stinks from what Ive herd too, so you would really have to be dedicated to come here. If you are a nuke (maybe you are?) then if you apply its more or less guarenteed that you'll make it.

Enough about that.. I should technically be studying right now. Hope that helps.

usunkmybship

The priors here have a hard time adjusting from their former careers to this high school environment. They complain that some of us straight out of high school lack discipline and that this isn't the "real" military. I'm sad that my good friend here who was a PO2 at age 19 already put in a DOR chit :( The Marines still can't get over how laid back this place is.
Here, I have to show an email this guy in my platoon sent out to the whole company:

"well cats out of the bag,

to those that might give a rat's ass
as we all know marines are tough guys, the sharpened tip at the end of the spear, the first ones on the beach and the last ones to leave.lean mean jarhead killing machines, blah blah blah, but what happens to marines when they are pulled away from there disciplined killing lifestyle and settle into a more comfortable laid back navy training center enviroment.
well.. at least they can dress themselves."

I don't think any Marines DORed yet, mainly because they have their eyes set on the USNA and being a Marine officer. This other guy who was also a PO2 already DORed. The nukes are in advanced classes and there are only 3 prior Coasties.

Like NAPSmom said they are very smart and I personally look up to them and give them much respect. I wish they didn't feel that way, it's just only for a year.

PhatFarmer35

I read on the USNA website that 170 prior enlisted servicemembers are selected each year to attend USNA. Do any of you have any idea how many prior enlisted servicemembers apply to USNA each year?

Does the 23 years old age limit still apply to people apply on active duty applying to USNA?

Also, would a soldier in the Army applying to USNA need to get a nomination from the Secretary of the Navy or the Army?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
When I applied, there were 240 nominations up for grabs by enlisted personnel. I'm not really sure what the deal is for someone coming from the Army, but I know several people from my class were prior-enlisted Army. The age limit stands at no older than 23 at the start of plebe summer.

PhatFarmer35

About the nominations, are getting nominations from the Secretary of the Navy similar to getting a nomination from a congressmen for a high schooler? From what I understand, a high schooler would apply for a nomination from a congressmen, then from all the people who were nominated USNA will pick from there who to appoint. With active duty personel, is it simliar in that they all apply for a nomination from the Secretary of the Navy who nomiated 240 people, then of those 240 people, 170 recive appointments? Do you have any idea how many active duty personel each year start the application process?

Also, I'm in Army DEP and I'll be about 23 when I finish my enlistment. Would I need to apply to USNA earlier in my enlistment to make the age limit? And if appointed would I just be taken off active duty?

cadetgirl

"Each candidate must:
be 17 but not yet 23 years of age by July 1 of year admitted. (The increase in maximum age is a result of a recent change to Title X, U.S. Code.)"

jacksonwt2g

Just for a datapoint:

I did poorly in high school (2.9 gpa), poorly at Florida State (2.4 gpa), then enlisted as a nuke MM. I did better while enlisted (3.3 power school gpa). I had a 1200 SAT score (600v 600m). I applied for usna and was accepted to naps. I did well at naps (3.96 gpa). At the end of naps we retook the sat and I scored a 1390. Finishing naps guarentees an appointment to usna except in very rare circumstances. I started plebe summer two weeks before my 24th birthday (barely making the cutoff). I was worried about my ability to hack usna considering my poor academic background but when I arrived I validated 3 courses (phys1, chem1, and calc1)- more than anyone in my batallion. I graduated usna with the class of 2004. I am proof that if you are young enough, you can make it.

keithga1983

Not geniuses.. we just know how to study and how to spend out time wisely. Nuke school was pretty rough. Initially I was studying up to 35+ hours a week (on top of the 0700 - 1600 work day) to get good grades. By the end of training I had my study techniques mastered and could pull the same grades in less than half the time (12-15hrs a week). It helps a ton to know how much you have to study and how to study to get the grades you want. Im definatly not a genius, I just know how to study.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
I didn't study at all in nuke school and got a 3.4, graduated in 2004 with a 2.2 (course I was engineering) so its different for everyone. Don't worry about study time at the academy, you don't have much else to do there.

Status
Not open for further replies.