• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted trying to put in STA-21 package

Hi i just made E5 from the last cycle. I am a PR and i have been in the Navy for a little over four years. Since i made E5 I already got my CDI and also now working in QA. Since im in a really big command FRCSE, its a big deal to be the PR QAR because that billet is always filled by an E6. I also got my airwarfare and surface warfare when i was deployed last cruise. I have done my research and i know that i have to get a good sat score and also need to pass the astb test, which i just bought a study guide for it. I also started going to school since i have been back from cruise and now currently taking 3 classes. With that being said what else do guys think i should start doing, and when can i start applying for next year. This is my first time doing this and im very motivated, please any info you guys could help me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cleonard19

Contributor
I wrote a really long reply that was pretty thorough, then decided to delete it. Use the websites search function. There's an entire subforum devoted to enlisted commissioning programs, and there's also currently a thread of almost 2500 posts that while mainly off topic, also has some good information about peoples present packages, and what they went through to get their package in.

The only bone I'll throw you is that you need to read the instruction (its on the STA-21 website) in its entirety, and make sure you control every aspect of your package, because its on you if something in your package is fudged up.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just make sure to check with your NCC or whoever is working your command career counseling shop. It's very important you do things in accordance with the instruction. Your command may require you to route a request chit in order to apply. Make sure you know when to start the package, the due dates, etc. Don't leave it to others to make sure your package is squared away. It's your officer package.

Sounds like you're busy, but keep focus on being a good QAR and doing your job as well as putting this package together. Interviews will be key later on. I would suggest that getting a "good sat" on any item (are you talking PRT?) in your officer package won't be competitive.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Good job on getting advanced and the CDI/QAR...los of hard work coming to fruition there. Talk to your CCC, study for and take the SAT, ACT, and ASTB...continue to kick ass at your job, and then put in your package. Get it done early, make plenty of copies, get it in a good chunk earlier than the deadline. Realize that noone will care near as much about your package as you. It will take a lot of work, you will probably have to pester people up the chain of command, and be prepared to get some shit from your senior enlisted for trying to switch to the "dark side"

Dot the T's, cross the I's, and make sure you put everything in the package required by the instruction. Most of all, don't give up. It took me multiple attempts to get in and a lot of bullshit to get there...but I did get there.

Pickle

jwac85

FY-11 STA-21 Pilot Applicant
first off, congrats on deciding to take this step. Showing your desire to become an officer is the first step in getting there.

Second, treat the OPVAN 1420.1 as if it were the 6.2. do not skip any steps and follow it to the t.

Start your package yesterday. the personal statement took me 5 months before I felt it was board ready. I took a resume writing class at the Fleet & Family Service Center so that it would sound professional.

Take your SAT/ACT/ASTB ASAP, if its not as high as you want/need it to be, then you'll need time to take it again.

Best of luck to you, the Navy needs more PR's that are worth a ****.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
...make sure you control every aspect of your package, because its on you if something in your package is fudged up.

Don't leave it to others to make sure your package is squared away. It's your officer package.

Realize that no one will care near as much about your package as you.

Dot the T's, cross the I's, and make sure you put everything in the package required by the instruction.

Take note of the common theme in the posts above.