• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to UChicago to 1830

YNope

All,

Hope all is well! I'm still finding my way & would appreciate some insights from those who have gone before me.

My brief story: I served as a YN, separating as a YN2, and immediately after, transferred to the University of Chicago as a public policy major. I'm still driven by a sense of public service, and through a variety of factors, I feel like I belong in the IC, but in particular the Navy.

I have a pretty strong GPA (3.8), relevant internships, relevant clubs, and I am doing my best to showcase leadership as well as community service. Further, I'll be taking my first foray into Mandarin next year (very excited)!

I often wonder what else I could do to stand apart from the pack of 1830 candidates as my application date inches closer, I have a long time until I sit down for the OAR, let alone submit my package. I also ponder about how much of a crapshoot the process seems. Looking at the PERS slides, it seems that all of the 1830s that are selected are very bright folks, with strong GPAs, language backgrounds, etc.

Yours,
YNope

Edit: This post accidentally was published before I finished it, apologies if you're reading it as I edit it.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

High GPA and high OAR will help.

Like what I recommend to ALL Intel applicants, recommend you consider other officer programs like SWO and aviation - assuming you qualify. Intel averages around a 10% selection rate and that's not going to change anytime soon...

YNope

High GPA and high OAR will help.

Like what I recommend to ALL Intel applicants, recommend you consider other officer programs like SWO and aviation - assuming you qualify. Intel averages around a 10% selection rate and that's not going to change anytime soon...

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. However, and no offense to the SWOs are NFOs, I don't think those designators are my cups of tea.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. However, and no offense to the SWOs are NFOs, I don't think those designators are my cups of tea.

I asked all my applicants, what is more important the job or being a USN officer? If they said the job then I would encourage them to look at other services as well, your high GPA will help, however when a designator averages 10% selection rate over time you see many great applicants get denied.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Some applicants may want a specific designator, even if it means a reduced chance at becoming an officer. Nothing wrong with that.

Never said it was, just curious why Intel? You would be surprised how many people think Intel is "James Bond" like work when in reality, much of it is becoming a PPT/Excel warrior.

Mos

None
Never said it was, just curious why Intel? You would be surprised how many people think Intel is "James Bond" like work when in reality, much of it is becoming a PPT/Excel warrior.
That might be true of the general population, but you think a prior YN is that ignorant?